Doggone.... Got bit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOOOuuucchhhh

That is one of my biggest fears. It does happen to the best of them though.

Hope you heal quick!!

I am working my way to some safety equipment, as in a helmet and some chaps.

Sent ya some Rep to help ya get healed.

Rep sent for being honest. And..... a Warning to the others. :msp_wink:

Been There and Done That with a sharp chain. A few years back, I set down the saw and in a split second I caught my foot and only lost a sock.

Hope all goes well and things turn out ok for you. Cuts can be nasty.

Reckon I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out the pic thingy. :msp_wink:

Infection is the biggest worry..... got enough scars that one more won't make no nevermind. :dizzy:

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. It's been mentioned already, but even the most expensive chaps I've seen are a lot less than a ER visit bill. I'd never heard much about chaps till I joined here, and drug my feet on getting a set for a while, until I had a near miss.

Yes, they're hot to wear. Yes, they're heavy after a while. Do I wear em all the time, every time? I'm ashamed to say no, but the times I don't have them on are rare, and usually just a couple easy cuts, or testing out a repaired saw.

I stop short of telling people they need chaps, it's their decision to make, but I sure do recommend them.

Guess I'll never get the hang of limbing a downed tree with a 20" bar. Got hit across the bottom of my thigh to the tune of 12 staples. :bang: When will I learn.

Geez loweez be careful. Glad you are OK and didn't cut a main artery. You wouldn't be posting now. Really.

What the heck are you limbing out that you need a 20 inch bar for? And that's on a larger saw? That's 30-40cc `14-16 inch bar territory for most trees, cutting off the small limbs, unless they are whopper huge and the main limbs are as big as most trees themselves and stick up 30 feet into the air once the tree is down. Lighter is better and more controllable than heavier. I always use the lightest saw for the job, not two steps bigger and heavier, like a 50 or a 70, just because I own one. I know on the chainsaw forum that isn't considered "manly", you need like a turbo ported 90cc for your "light limber", but I think that is medium ludicrous as well.

NOT SAYING this applies to you, really, just the general impression I get around here, bigger for some reason is always better. I think that is dangerous thinking and practice.

Anyway, good wakeup call for everyone. I really hate to hear about accidents in the woods, just way too dangerous, and yep, I've had some close calls, widowmakers falling primarily, and my totally ignorant secret reverse about face sloping pulp farmers felling cuts, which I am working on improving since I found out how stupid they are......

safety gear is important. I saw a guy catch his chaps with his chain. Sucked his chaps in and stalled his saw. Not a scratch on him, but he was embarrassed and had to take off his chaps to get them freed from his saw. Lesson learned.

It is documented that most chainsaw accidents are to the lower limbs. Chaps are the cure.
Hope you do not get an infection that will just make it even longer and more miserable to get healed up. Get better.

Thanks fellers (pun intended :biggrin:).

From Zogger:... "What the heck are you limbing out that you need a 20 inch bar for? And that's on a larger saw? That's 30-40cc `14-16 inch bar territory for most trees"

Yeah I know. When I head up on the farm to cut firewood, I either take along my 18" 028 Super, or the 20" MS361. I don't pack a lighter saw to knock out the limbs before bucking. Just never consider it, and truth be told, swinging back and forth limbing is more tiresome and dangerous than the bucking. Wearing bluejeans that were a tag baggy in the thighs, and the chain caught the denim and sucked the bar to my thigh. I usually wear brush pants (for small gaming) that are a tighter fit and offer a bit more protection due to the front vinyl. I'm 47 years old, so you think the lightbulb would go off....... sad to say, it's happened before, but not to this extent.

Thanks fellers (pun intended :biggrin:).

From Zogger:... "What the heck are you limbing out that you need a 20 inch bar for? And that's on a larger saw? That's 30-40cc `14-16 inch bar territory for most trees"

Yeah I know. When I head up on the farm to cut firewood, I either take along my 18" 028 Super, or the 20" MS361. I don't pack a lighter saw to knock out the limbs before bucking. Just never consider it, and truth be told, swinging back and forth limbing is more tiresome and dangerous than the bucking. Wearing bluejeans that were a tag baggy in the thighs, and the chain caught the denim and sucked the bar to my thigh. I usually wear brush pants (for small gaming) that are a tighter fit and offer a bit more protection due to the front vinyl. I'm 47 years old, so you think the lightbulb would go off....... sad to say, it's happened before, but not to this extent.

Dang man, I'm just glad you are ok. I'm in the habit of always taking two saws now, or even more. got in some pinches and binds before with just one saw. And it's dangerous, say felling, your saw gets pinched or it croaks for some reason. then you got a tree half down sitting there. And being a small guy, I early on found out smaller saws will cut pretty good, albeit with a sharp chain and not leaning on them hard in too large of wood, and there's no reason to switch to a larger heavier saw unless it is absolutely necessary for the cuts. I've noticed a tired zogger gets sloppier. Sloppier tends to get more dangerous.

Don't get me wrong, I like my larger saws I have so far and use them, but I always reach for the smallest one that will do the job without being totally ridiculous in the attempt.

Again, glad you are OK with just some staples.

We all learn from each other!

I purchased a pair of Labonville full wraps last month,gonna be trying them out in next few days.Working on a helmet now (got a U.S. surplus steel combat helmet if i should spot a widowmaker) Last fall dropped a beatle infested pine,proceded to buck it just as i reached the disintigrated top i heard a rucus behind me,it was 6' of the top which had hung in the top of another tree came crashing down where i had just bucked the butt a moment earlier,scared me,but made me think I've been lucky too long.

Glad you are still alive! keep it clean and while your resting go buy some chaps.
My friend nailed himself last year and it was gruesome enough for me to buy chaps.
Thanks for the lesson I'm glad you were teaching this time instead of me!
Rep sent for posting a great safety reminder. Arms get tired; legs get cut!

"I fought the saw and the saw won..."

I tried a saw amputation on my right leg back in 1988. While riding to the hospital in the ambulance we almost got t-boned by an inattentive driver. Took 2 layers of stitches and a drain to fix me up, they sent me home on crutches in a leg brace. The antibiotics alone were more expensive than the Labonville chaps that I bought the next week.

Always thought chaps were gay. Then had the 362 eat may paints from ankle to knee. Didn't think chaps wre so gay. Awile later saw a rookie spewing blood from his leg. Was just looking at chaps yesterday. With your story I will have them tomorrow.

BE WELL

Latest posts

Back