Dogwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCrab1027

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This past Spring I planted two dogwoods (Kousa) in my front yard. I am basically very pleased with the way they appear to have adapted. I am curious as to whether these six-month old plantings need any special preventive care before cold weather arrives (fertilizing, staking, etc.). Our winters here in Maryland are generally fairly mild, but with occasional snow and ice storms. I assume no pruning should be done until next Spring, if then. Any help appreciated.

I've seen Cournus kousa listed as zone 5 but never heard of it surviving here in S/E WI. I think it is a marginal 5. My boss here at MCC is from northern Mass and remebers it well so I think MD should not have a problem with it.

Unless there are some major defects in the structure that need immidiate correction, leave it alone for a few years.

Kousas do well here in northern Virginia. You shouldn't have any problems.

I would consider pruning dogwoods a little harder to do than your average tree do to the branching habit. Buy a good pruning guide.

Over here we try to prune our dogwoods in Spring, as a lot of dogwoods have attractive coloured stems for winter colours.

Latest posts

Back