Dolmar 120 Revived (with vid)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi, Peeps! This little feller was strewn about in the back room of a small engine shop for quite a few years. I found almost all the bits and reassembled. I added all new anti-vibe, as the old stuff was completely blown out, which I think is why the saw got left for dead. It still needs one or two things: the tank is weeping from somewhere, it needs an oil cap, a chain adjuster, and the little knob that holds the filter cover on.

The good news? It has good compression, starts easily, and seems to run great. I have heard so many good things about these saws, I had to give it a go. This one is not going to be for sale!

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/andrethegiant70/?action=view&current=100_2318.flv

Mitymouse

Mitymouse

ArboristSite Operative
It is nice to see that revived. I just finished rebuilding mine last weekend. While I was at it, I ported it a little to see what it can do. I need to find some wood now to get it broken in.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Good to hear you spent enough time and energy to resurrect the old Sachs Dolmar. Did you have a hard time finding the AV mounts? The saw looks good and hope it runs good for you. I still work my Sachs Dolmars occasionally and even after 23 years the perform flawlessly with lots of power.
Pioneerguy600

andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks, Gents! I'm excited about it. It seems like a very solid piece of engineering. It has great throttle response and feels good in the hands, if a bit heavy. I wish I'd have gotten on top of it closer to the beginning of the firewood season, as I think it'll be fun to run and I'm plumb out of time!

In the same purchase, which I made at the beginning of last summer, I got two 112s. The 120 was in more dire straights, as the 112s are nearly complete. They both have some problems, but are pretty nice looking saws (all orange, inc. the top handles) I didn't figure to keep them all, and so I chose to work on the big brother (I like displacement even though I don't have much use for more than 50cc :clap: ). I had the idea that, rather than sell them on EBAY, I'd might offer a 112 for trade here. I am really looking to do an 066 project, a saw which I haven't ever run... in fact, I'm not sure I've even held one in my hands! Plus, my CAD (apparently) dictates that I own at least one example of all the great saws :bowdown: . I'm not expecting a runner obviously, but if anyone has enough left of an 066 to get me started on a milling saw project I would sure consider it. Failing an 066, a toasted 346 or 394/5 would be other great projects I'd be interested in.

I may post a separate thread.. you guys think I'm barking up the wrong tree on this one?

andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good to hear you spent enough time and energy to resurrect the old Sachs Dolmar. Did you have a hard time finding the AV mounts? The saw looks good and hope it runs good for you. I still work my Sachs Dolmars occasionally and even after 23 years the perform flawlessly with lots of power.
Pioneerguy600

Hi, Jerry! The AV mounts were a snap. I think it was you who recommended Randy's engine repair. They were 7 bones apiece, or something like that. I sure appreciated the suggestion.

Latest posts