Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I try to post it message says file is too large. Bottom line when it idles it's rough and after use ,when it gets warm/hot it stays at a high idle after the cut sometimes higher than others very erratic. Usually a couple pokes on the throttle and it idles down but still rough. The warmer it gets the more it happens. It's pretty strong in the cut at wot. I checked the plug and it's brown not gray . Originally before the seals were replaced it would not idle down until it cooled off
It sounds like the saw is probably fine and the carb is way off. Can you post a pick of the chain or the chips it makes?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I tried to post a pic ??? Don't know if it worked . Don't k ow what the wood chips have to do with anything???

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_171308662.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 33
Just got an envelope from the dealer with a shipping label and a return authorization form . The form has a comment on it ,specifying the saw be delivered to the rep that has been calling the shots ,for evaluation. The one that refused to comment on anything with me on the phone.

When I try to post it message says file is too large. Bottom line when it idles it's rough and after use ,when it gets warm/hot it stays at a high idle after the cut sometimes higher than others very erratic. Usually a couple pokes on the throttle and it idles down but still rough. The warmer it gets the more it happens. It's pretty strong in the cut at wot. I checked the plug and it's brown not gray . Originally before the seals were replaced it would not idle down until it cooled off

Post it in YouTube and post the live link here.

I tried to post a pic ??? Don't know if it worked . Don't k ow what the wood chips have to do with anything???

If a saws ran with a dull chain it ca overheat the engine and everything, it is a saw killer. A video would really help. Have you checked if the throttle butterfly is properly returning to idle? sometimes the cable linkage can hangup.

Packed up the saw , return authorization form,a brief outline of events and a short letter to the rep and dropped it at the FedEx drop location logged another 30miles which puts me at 396 miles. Issues started Feb 17 !

Well it's May 12 the FedEx man just dropped off a package from Makita , Mount Prospect Illinois. It's a new EA4300FRDB chainsaw. There was no correspondence from Dolmar/Makita. I sent my saw the sent this one. I attached a pic ,note it says made in China on the sticker WTF!!!! I really don't know what to make of this?? Apparently there are no more German made 421's???

Attachments

• IMG_20170512_122532035_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 28
I just got off the phone with @fordf150 he tells me that 421/4300 and smaller are now assembled in China and as far as he knows the parts still come from Germany. Any way , so ends the 421 saga I guess we'll never know what was wrong with it! It took nearly 3 months but I have a saw that I assume will function as it is intended!!

good to here you got a new saw. as far as the tune, all iv'e sold has been set where they should be. run 5-6 tanks through it then have him check it. but after the problems you've had you may feel better letting him check it out on start-up.

He suggested I bring it down to make sure it was right. It's worth the trip for peace of mind and if I have any troubles that's where it will go. I learned a hard lesson with the local dealers.

I know it sounds petty but it really bothers me that I bought a German made Dolmar and now have a China assembled Makita! So it goes!!!

As far as I understood they are now assembled in china.For me nothing wrong with that at all.

been assembled there for the last 5-6 months. Bugs me just because i liked selling made in Germany saws and customers liked buying them but other than that i have no issues with it. No fear of quality being different.

I'm sure Makita could have continued assembling them in Germany if they wanted to lay out the money for a new plant and more workers, but would people willingly pay that extra $40-80 that those investments would have mandated? Somehow i doubt it. dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, extra costs that people may not want to pay if they continued building there or maintain the same price point that they have had for 10 yrs and assemble them in china. I think i prefer the continued $320 price point knowing that the PS-32 has been assembled there for years and we have had zero issues with them.

Dolmar had a good thing going... not anymore. I'll not try a Chinese makita.

Back