Dolmar 5100, Another one down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight gassed would be scuffed up all the way around the piston, not just the exhaust side. Along with the EPA, ethonal and Dolmar don't forget to thank the dealer for not tuning the saw a little richer, that is where the main fualt is. Steve

gear wrench= Taiwan/or china

I had the same exact issue with my Craftsman T27 that is made in the USA. The bolts are the issue, not the tool.

I have Wiha tools at work and I cannot see any difference that would improve the issue. I have used hundreds of Wiha hand tools and they are excellent. This Gearwrench tool is easily better than the Craftsman and close, if not the same (in this case), quality as the Wiha.

I have rebuild 10 or more stihl chainsaws and have done plenty of routine maintenance on my existing saws. Never have I had any issue with any of my T27s including when using the crappy scrench tool from Stihl.

I will measure the depth of the Dolmar bolt when I get home from work.

Of course there could be different lots and even sources of bolts involved, I assume the saw brands aren't manufacturing those themselves....

Fastener quality is often an issue in our manufacturing. Sometimes you get a batch that's just crap.

:popcorn:

This thread sure is funny! Now the torx screws are bad because the slots are not as deep as Stihl screw heads and even worse they have loctite screw safe! :laugh:
This is really a funny thread! Please flyboy keep it coming! :laugh:

Last edited:
flyboy I'm not a big 5100 guy myself, but they're extremely simple and easy to work on. Doesn't sound like you've worked on many saws in your day.:laugh::laugh:

I need a 5100 to round out my stable of Dolmars... Let me know when you want to dispose of that ole' pig of yours...
:msp_sneaky:

I need a 5100 to round out my stable of Dolmars... Let me know when you want to dispose of that ole' pig of yours...
:msp_sneaky:

I am fixing the saw for a friend who just bought his first house.....free of charge. It is not my saw. It does run quite well at the moment.

This thread sure is funny! Now the torx screws are bad because the slots are not as deep as Stihl screw heads and even worse they have loctite screw safe! :laugh:

I guess I do not have some guys street cred.....

Here are some pics. I used a Bic lighter to blacken the end of the torx bit. I then used my Mitutoyo calipers to measure the direct engagement area of a Dolmar screw and another I bought from Baileys.

Question: Are my Mitutoyo calipers adequately good for everyone here? They cost nearly $150.....but were made in Brazil.

Results:

Dolmar screw had 0.055" of engagement with the tool.
Baileys screw had 0.100" of engagement with the tool.

Stuff:
245280d1342478757-img_3156_small-jpg

Blackening:
245281d1342478758-img_3157_small-jpg

Baileys screw:
245283d1342478760-img_3164_small-jpg

Dolmar screw:
245282d1342478759-img_3162_small-jpg

Pig Roast:
245279d1342478756-img_3101_small-jpg

Last edited:

The reason I compared them to Stihl is, Stilhl is the only other brand using T27 that I know of. Poulan uses T25, but those have always been nice and deep.

Last edited:
Sooooo..... your complaining that Dolmar used loctite, bolted the muffler on too well, you used a crappy torx driver, and you ordered parts from an iffy company instead of one of our reliable sponsors. Your right, Dolmar does suck. Sheesh

BTW, the 5100 is a fair bit heavier than your 026. Also the piston is a Mahle, same as everyone uses else except the newer Stihls.

Best of luck to ya.

At what point did I say that the saw sucked?

flyboy I'm not a big 5100 guy myself, but they're extremely simple and easy to work on. Doesn't sound like you've worked on many saws in your day.:laugh::laugh:

You're correct. It was an easy saw to work on. I just said that it should have been even easier. Here is my quote:

"I found this saw a bit more difficult to work on than it should have been."

Last edited:
I'll take the OP's side on this story. I don't know a thing about these 5100's except for the fact that here's another thread about one thats BLOWN!!!!

Who cares if they.re easy or hard to work on. Who cares how many saws this guy has rebuilt. I don't care if the dealer set it up right or wrong. All I know is this is another story about a Dolmar 5100 that is BLOWN!!!!!

Add into this story that no aftermarket parts are to be had, and the OEM parts are slow to acquire, and that just adds to the whoes of this saw. Now I know why every Dolmar dealer in my area quits selling them. They (the dealers) must all s%@k I guess.

I'll take the OP's side on this story. I don't know a thing about these 5100's except for the fact that here's another thread about one thats BLOWN!!!!

Who cares if they.re easy or hard to work on. Who cares how many saws this guy has rebuilt. I don't care if the dealer set it up right or wrong. All I know is this is another story about a Dolmar 5100 that is BLOWN!!!!!

Add into this story that no aftermarket parts are to be had, and the OEM parts are slow to acquire, and that just adds to the whoes of this saw. Now I know why every Dolmar dealer in my area quits selling them. They (the dealers) must all s%@k I guess.

Dealers!!??? We don't need no stinkin' dealers!!!!
:boss:

A parts warehouse would be nice though...

Like a wise Man said a few days back

"How could you not tell something was wrong, you're holding it in your hands"

That was quite the meltdown on that piston.

As far as the "cheap" fasteners;

The Stihl is a 10.8 cadmium coated, alloy steel fastener, the Dolmar is more of a corrosion resistant stainless alloy.

Looks to me like someone tried a 25 Torx and gooned it up?

There have been lots of such threads + other discussions on the matter through the years......

The OP is looking for help after this thread I would be a little frustrated were I him. Just sayin... Russ

Like a wise Man said a few days back

"How could you not tell something was wrong, you're holding it in your hands"

That was quite the meltdown on that piston.

As far as the "cheap" fasteners;

The Stihl is a 10.8 cadmium coated, alloy steel fastener, the Dolmar is more of a corrosion resistant stainless alloy.

Looks to me like someone tried a 25 Torx and gooned it up?

This saw had never been wrenched on. The torx heads are in perfect condition, just shallow. Corrosion resistance is a benefit.

Back