Dolmar 5100, Another one down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they're really only 0.055" deep that's pretty lame. Combined with the radius on the end of your Torx driver it would be easy to strip them out. BTW, I hate Torx, they're so damn lame. I used to get some Torx drive deck screws for projects and they often strip out. Compare that to a square drive - those are incredible. I've started using square drive fasteners on our new product designs - they never strip them out in production.

Usually I grind off the end on Torx drivers to get rid of the rounded end and get nice sharp corners.

If they're really only 0.055" deep that's pretty lame. Combined with the radius on the end of your Torx driver it would be easy to strip them out. BTW, I hate Torx, they're so damn lame. I used to get some Torx drive deck screws for projects and they often strip out. Compare that to a square drive - those are incredible. I've started using square drive fasteners on our new product designs - they never strip them out in production.

Usually I grind off the end on Torx drivers to get rid of the rounded end and get nice sharp corners.

I'm guilty of the same thing...
:msp_rolleyes:

If they're really only 0.055" deep that's pretty lame.

Just measured my 2008 production 5100, the main screws going to the cylinder are .125 deep, the side bolts going to the case are a bit shallower @ .100 (less a slight crown in them, I'll maybe give them .080 actual engagement). All came loose without problems. Having a clean working hole is important with Torx or Allen screws, I seldom have trouble with Allens and deal with thousands of em a day at work.

I might try the square drive screws when I build my shed, I've been happy with the torx deck screws, but this is coming from a guy that used to put up with Phillips head screws...

Last edited:
Hardly comparable topics - and none of them are junk. :msp_wink:

images

Just measured my 2008 production 5100, the main screws going to the cylinder are .125 deep, the side bolts going to the case are a bit shallower @ .100 (less a slight crown in them, I'll maybe give them .080 actual engagement). All came loose without problems. Having a clean working hole is important with Torx or Allen screws, I seldom have trouble with Allens and deal with thousands of em a day at work.

I might try the square drive screws when I build my shed, I've been happy with the torx deck screws, but this is coming from a guy that used to put up with Phillips head screws...

I think this saw had a bad batch of screws.

Back