Dolmar 5100 vs Stihl 034 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshaffer3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Earlier this week I has two full logging trucks of wood delivered to the farm. Today I began to cut it up with my two favorite saws. Both saws have 20" bars with .375 x .050 chains. They were also used for about the same amount of time.

The Dolmar seems to be the more aggressive of the two saws. I don't know if it's the sound or what, but it seems to attack the wood better than the Stihl. However, the Dolmar isn't smoothe like the Stihl and it doesn't idle as well. The Stihl can be set down and it softly rests before the next cut. The Dolmar spits and cracks and wheezes and chokes until the next cut. The Stihl seems a tad heavier. I don't know which has more power but they both seem to get through the log at about the same speed. Anyway, it's interesting how differently two saws can behave with similar displacements. I really like them both but if I had to choose one I'd say that I'd go with the Stihl.

The only reason is the air filter. The Dolmar air filter is easier to service but it seems like if any small amount of dirts gets in, the saw performs badly. The Stihl filter needs more tools to remove but it's more robust.

I've never operated a Husky but I'd highly recommend a Stihl 034/036/361 or a Dolmar 510/5100.

510/34

Odd you should bring this up. I just just got my PS-510 on Friday... OMG, I am sooooo impressed with this little saw. I've used many 034's and 036's and it's doesn't necessarily stack up to them, it's different I'd say. With 18" b/c in wood like 16" it will stand up to either of the Stihls, has fewer vibes(to me) and runs through the log just as fast as either of the other. The difference I've noticed is when you hit around 18-20" in a log, and if you start really biting in with the dawgs, then you see it bog out a little bit. I've already got say 5 hours on my 510, ran the 5100 for a few min a year ago, and don't really remember alot about it. I can say, like in the past, the Stihl seemed to have a little more torque on the powerband, but then again, I'm comparing a 3.2hp saw to a 4.5hp saw. Here we are again comparing saws that are quite a bit apart... If I'm running into bigger wood, I'd take the Stihl's, they ARE bigger. It's almost the same as comparing the 34/36 to the 044. Get where I'm coming from? 1hp doesn't really sound like alot, but when it's say almost 25% of the total hp, think of running a 300hp car vs. a 400hp car. Which would probably seem better??? I can tell you for me, I LOVE MY PS-510. I can't imagine having the 5100. The 510 is now going to be my right hand saw. Nicest little saw I've EVER run (for me). I'd recommend it to anyone for anything. 'cept maybe big pacific timber... :rock:

Earlier this week I has two full logging trucks of wood delivered to the farm. Today I began to cut it up with my two favorite saws. Both saws have 20" bars with .375 x .050 chains. They were also used for about the same amount of time.

The Dolmar seems to be the more aggressive of the two saws. I don't know if it's the sound or what, but it seems to attack the wood better than the Stihl. However, the Dolmar isn't smoothe like the Stihl and it doesn't idle as well. The Stihl can be set down and it softly rests before the next cut. The Dolmar spits and cracks and wheezes and chokes until the next cut. The Stihl seems a tad heavier. I don't know which has more power but they both seem to get through the log at about the same speed. Anyway, it's interesting how differently two saws can behave with similar displacements. I really like them both but if I had to choose one I'd say that I'd go with the Stihl.

The only reason is the air filter. The Dolmar air filter is easier to service but it seems like if any small amount of dirts gets in, the saw performs badly. The Stihl filter needs more tools to remove but it's more robust.

I've never operated a Husky but I'd highly recommend a Stihl 034/036/361 or a Dolmar 510/5100.

Sounds like you're 5100 needs the intake boot insert (part # 181 131 020) and a carb tune. Check your dealer for the insert because that saw should idle smoothly.

Steve

I have a PS5100 and an 034. However I converted my 034 into an 036 to create some more seperation between the 2 saws.

I like both of them but I tend to pull out the Dolmar first. If there's a perfect all around saw it's the PS5100. I just wish that Dolmar designed the 3 way control in the same orientation as Stihl. Sometimes I forget and flip it up when I shut down the saw but that's full choke and sometimes floods it for the next start.

A 20" bar seems a tad long for the Dolmar. I think it's sweet spot is 18".

Yep

I have a PS5100 and an 034. However I converted my 034 into an 036 to create some more seperation between the 2 saws.

I like both of them but I tend to pull out the Dolmar first. If there's a perfect all around saw it's the PS5100. I just wish that Dolmar designed the 3 way control in the same orientation as Stihl. Sometimes I forget and flip it up when I shut down the saw but that's full choke and sometimes floods it for the next start.

A 20" bar seems a tad long for the Dolmar. I think it's sweet spot is 18".

That's what I'm thinking also...

I guess I didn't realize how much more power the 034s has. I see published data showing 4.6hp for the Stihl and 3.8hp for the 5100. I can lug the Stihl at lower RPM and it chugs away while the 5100 needs to run at a higher RPM so that it doesn't bog down.

I first thought that the anti-vibe springs on the Dolmar were hokey but the anti-vibe is excellent on this saw and after 2 or 3 hours of constant use it feels light and doesn't hurt my hands or arms.

As lakeside said, the Stihl is a 15 year old saw. It a tribute that something could work that well after 15 years and still fire right up. There's something to be said about longevity.

As lakeside said, the Stihl is a 15 year old saw. It a tribute that something could work that well after 15 years and still fire right up. There's something to be said about longevity.

The older Stihl's are still my fave of all the saws. I've got 3 041's, all of them still run like a champ. All are from the 70's and all got alot of use throughout the years... One of them is all of 30 yrs old. Not sure what else out there can stand up to that??? Specially being all original. I'd still keep my little PS-510 and I can't wait to get a 5100... :rock:

yes id love to have my old 034 AV Super back also to go with my 441
And if the Dolmar can outcut the 034 Super id have to see it done

The 5100 is pretty hard to beat.Its the saw I pick up most,I also own a ms361 and I think the 5100 is much better in quality.Had all kinds of trouble with the stihl,took it back 4 times,2 different dealers,it still is not right.Wish I would have bought a 7900 for the money I payed for the 361.Very dissapointed with stihl.

OK, today I was felling, limbing, bucking Doug Fir. Some of it was around 20"+. I did a side by side comparison of my Dolmar PS5100 w/18" and my Stihl 036 w/20". (actually it's an 034 with an 036 jug/piston).

There's no doubt in my mind that the 036 performs better as it should.

I'd say the 034S/036 can play with the big boys. I'd say the PS5100 will whip most of the medium saws but it's a stretch for it to venture into big boy territory.

P.S. My PS5100 idles fine. I didn't detect the rough idle.

I agree Dave it would take a good 5 hp saw to stick with the 034 super
not a close 4 hp one

My Dolmar has had idling problems since it was new. At first it woudn't idle at all and then I discovered an air leak where the fuel line attaches to the carb. After the fix my local Dolmar dealer tuned it up and it runs fine but still doesn't idle as smoothy as all my other saws. I've given up trying to make it go away. I continually check the spark plug to see if it's running lean and it's not so I'm gonna run it because everything else seems perfect. I guess I thought it was normal but you guys seem to think differently.

My Dolmar has had idling problems since it was new. At first it woudn't idle at all and then I discovered an air leak where the fuel line attaches to the carb. After the fix my local Dolmar dealer tuned it up and it runs fine but still doesn't idle as smoothy as all my other saws. I've given up trying to make it go away. I continually check the spark plug to see if it's running lean and it's not so I'm gonna run it because everything else seems perfect. I guess I thought it was normal but you guys seem to think differently.

You should do a search on 5100 intake boot as I know there was some discussion and some good pics with what seemed like a simple fix to me. Or ya can check with Cuttinscott and he can let ya know all about it.:)

Wow, a bad 361???

The 5100 is pretty hard to beat.Its the saw I pick up most,I also own a ms361 and I think the 5100 is much better in quality.Had all kinds of trouble with the stihl,took it back 4 times,2 different dealers,it still is not right.Wish I would have bought a 7900 for the money I payed for the 361.Very dissapointed with stihl.

Wow. I thought it would never happen. First complaint about a 361 that I have heard. Ever. My 361 has had zero problems. Takes a beating, works fine. Just like my 290. I am running out of warantee on it, and I am not worried. It will be time to fiddle with the exhaust! I do not think I wll ever have a problem with it.

I have read quite a few complaints about the 5100. Here, there are no Dolmar dealers for like 100 miles. So if I got one, and it did not work I would have to ship it or pay a lot in gas money. It also seems that everyone that buys a Dolly has to lean them out and dial the carb in.

Also, you can always sell that 361 for nearly what you paid for it. Why not just put it up for sale on the trading post or Ebay and get that 7900? Why live with what you don't want??? Life is too short.

My 361 has never made any trouble, and there is no comparison between the 361 and 5100 for power - I like both in their own right. :clap: :clap:

If anything, the overall quality of the 361 seem a tad better to me (fit, finish and materiels), but there are plus and minus both ways.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back