dolmar 5100s cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First post guys.
I picked up a cheap used Dolmar 5100s that appeared to be in really good shape about a month back. Once I got it home and tested the compression, I determined that the top end would need to be rebuilt. The further I got into the saw, the more it made sense why I got it so cheap. I first found the a few of the torx screws had been replaced by philips head screws, the worst being the bolts that hold the muffler on to the cylinder and the bolts that hold the cylinder down to the crankcase. it was obvious someone had already been into this saw. Once I had the muffler off i found out why I was getting low compression numbers. I'll let you guys look at the first attached photo to find out for yourself. Let me know what you see.
IMG_1090.JPG

Once i got the cylinder off it was pretty clear that the piston and cylinder were going to need replaced.
IMG_1099.JPG

I found a Dolmar service manual for the saw and started to looking into parts that I would need. I searched the forums on this site along with google for interchangeable parts and where to buy them. it doesn't appear that anyone make an aftermarket cylinder for this saw. I was able to find couple of aftermarket pistions, one from Lil Red Barn. So it looks like unless I can find a good used cylinder, I am stuck with buying a Dolmar/Makita piston/cylinder kit.

My service manual shows the part number I need is 181-130-215
I also found reference to part number 181-130-217 which appears to be the stock cylinder on the 5105
Are the cylinders interchangeable????

After looking into this even further I found the difference between the cylinders. the 217 is ported the 215 is not. I even found photos from a previous forum that really helped.

AS 004.jpg
cylinder on the left is a 217, right is the 215 (photo not taken by me)
The cylinder I pulled off the saw looks like the cylinder above on the left (see the bulge near the bottom)
image3.jpeg
I'm thinking they are interchangeable since the cylinder I took off that appears to be a 217 and fit but would like to know for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
First post guys.
I picked up a cheap used Dolmar 5100s that appeared to be in really good shape about a month back. Once I got it home and tested the compression, I determined that the top end would need to be rebuilt. The further I got into the saw, the more it made sense why I got it so cheap. I first found the a few of the torx screws had been replaced by philips head screws, the worst being the bolts that hold the muffler on to the cylinder and the bolts that hold the cylinder down to the crankcase. it was obvious someone had already been into this saw. Once I had the muffler off i found out why I was getting low compression numbers. I'll let you guys look at the first attached photo to find out for yourself. Let me know what you see.
View attachment 613938

Once i got the cylinder off it was pretty clear that the piston and cylinder were going to need replaced.
View attachment 613939

I found a Dolmar service manual for the saw and started to looking into parts that I would need. I searched the forums on this site along with google for interchangeable parts and where to buy them. it doesn't appear that anyone make an aftermarket cylinder for this saw. I was able to find couple of aftermarket pistions, one from Lil Red Barn. So it looks like unless I can find a good used cylinder, I am stuck with buying a Dolmar/Makita piston/cylinder kit.

My service manual shows the part number I need is 181-130-215
I also found reference to part number 181-130-217 which appears to be the stock cylinder on the 5105
Are the cylinders interchangeable????

After looking into this even further I found the difference between the cylinders. the 217 is ported the 215 is not. I even found photos from a previous forum that really helped.

View attachment 613941
cylinder on the left is a 217, right is the 215 (photo not taken by me)
The cylinder I pulled off the saw looks like the cylinder above on the left (see the bulge near the bottom)
View attachment 613942
I'm thinking they are interchangeable since the cylinder I took off that appears to be a 217 and fit but would like to know for sure.

@fordf150 would be guy to ask, he’s a dealer. Call his shop.

One cylinder is open port for ps-510, the other is the correct, closed port cylinder for your saw. No cheap options when it comes to rebuilding those saws...

@Chupp
297685-961ee7a09c2fc42907e9a0134b7b4323.jpg

what your looking at here is the 5100/5105 cylinder on the left and a 510 cylinder on the right.

510 cylinder is a direct bolt on so if your looking at just getting it up and running for as little as possible and not worried about maximum performance, install the 510 kit, it around $125 vs the 5105 kit is pushing $200

Can you guys confirm that the 181-130-217 is the correct part number for the closed port cylinder?
Also, did anyone notice there was no ring in the piston in the first picture?

@fordf150
There is 5 or 6 variations of cylinders. Pistons should all share. Different base gaskets though.
yeah there has been a few supercessions. there arent different gaskets now....they all supercede to the composite gasket which is the thickest variation that i have seen. 181131133

Even with the hole or pit in the plating? See just below the exhaust port in the attached photo.

View attachment 614907
Yep
I had an EFCO 952 like that.
Except the pit was above the exhaust port.
I beveled the pit edges with a diamond burr.
Not sure who Phil sold it to, but I know it was still running 3yrs ago

I didn't have my glasses on was applying acid to transfer, kept bubbling I kept applying. when I cleaned it up I had a hole 1/4" x 1/8" deep below ex port. Beveled it, ran fine was blowing 210 psi.
Shep

Latest posts

Back