Dolmar 5100S "To rebuild, or not to rebuild"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To OP,
pull the muffler and look at the piston through the exhaust port. if the piston looks like below pic it's lean seized.
heatseize.jpg

If piston doesn't look like above you'll have more poking around to do. 90% of these saws torch themselves on a lean condition. You don't need a bigger venturi carb so don't let Troll scare you off the saw. They just need carb adjusted properly to get more fuel through to help keep the saw cool. Most good Dolmar shops (like Ford150) know to make this adjustment right out of the box. Some don't and you end up with a torched saw. I know tree services running 5100/5105's with richened up carb settings for several years and they beat the snot out of their saws.

Pull the muffler off... it will take you 5mins to check for lean seize. If you look good there come back and will work you forward from there.

You are right that sub-standard dealers was a large factor in the unusually high failure rate of those saws (5100S and early 5105) - they should have corrected the lean factory setting of the carb when selling the saws, but way to often failed to do so.
The reason for the lean factory settings was that the saws were borderline vs. EPA regulations, so they had to be set that way to be allowed in the US.

I wouldn't be afraid to rebuild my 5100S if needed, you just have to keep a close eye on the carb setting - and avoid prolonged cutting in hot weather. ;)

A larger carb or not is a moot point to most users, even though it might be a good idea with ported saws.

we got into that discussion a few months back. Can't remember what thread it was in though and tried searching but nothing is coming up
They will function with the stock carb, but would benefit from a different one..
Has anyone tried the carb from the echo cs500?
:drinking:

They will function with the stock carb, but would benefit from a different one..
thats the carb that was mentioned. Too expensive to order and try not knowing if it will fit. plus its not much bigger or maybe its smaller....i cant remember for sure

just looked it up...i couldnt stand it. WT-1009 13.5MM venturi. Not worth the money IMHO. I remember looking all this up when we were talking about it

just looked it up...i couldnt stand it. WT-1009 13.5MM venturi. Not worth the money IMHO. I remember looking all this up when we were talking about it
If you can fit a 15mm 346xp carb, it may be worth it, as 1.5 mm is quite a differense in the venturi of a carb. I have no idea if it is possible though.

It's not so much the size, as it is the "wandering tune" of some of these Zama's..
You can set them fat as hell and be safe to run, but you leave a lot of performance on the table. Or you can set them proper when the saw is warm, and in an extended cut, they will fail to deliver adequate fuel as the saw gets warmer.. A proper carb, with the ability to deliver proper fuel at WOT may be worth a try even if it's the same size. I've seen carbs that measured smaller, deliver better...

It's not so much the size, as it is the "wandering tune" of some of these Zama's..
You can set them fat as hell and be safe to run, but you leave a lot of performance on the table. Or you can set them proper when the saw is warm, and in an extended cut, they will fail to deliver adequate fuel as the saw gets warmer.. A proper carb, with the ability to deliver proper fuel at WOT may be worth a try even if it's the same size. I've seen carbs that measured smaller, deliver better...

i know exactly what your saying. I have had 5100's that just wouldnt hold a tune and a new carb solved the problem. I guess if i had as many problems as some have reported i would consider it. Has anyone actually switched the carb out successfully and what all is involved? Zama is known for having crappy carbs and my personal b!tch about them.....200 different kits! I have an entire file drawer full of kits for zama and it seems i still never have the right one so i have to remember which kit interchanges with the one i need.

I been waiting on a cheap one to try, but the price has not budged...
Why is it I can get WT-215's for 25 bucks all day long, but the 1009 is at 100 bucks and holding?

A021003390 WT-1009 from Echo the List is $127.45 :eek: direct from Walbro $120.87 :(

WT-215 $45.05 list

i know exactly what your saying. I have had 5100's that just wouldnt hold a tune and a new carb solved the problem. I guess if i had as many problems as some have reported i would consider it. Has anyone actually switched the carb out successfully and what all is involved? Zama is known for having crappy carbs and my personal b!tch about them.....200 different kits! I have an entire file drawer full of kits for zama and it seems i still never have the right one so i have to remember which kit interchanges with the one i need.

I have never had a single issue with a Zama carb - but then I am only a saw user, not a tech. Some times the Walbro option is a better choise on a given saw model, but that mostly is about venturi size.

Back