Dolmar 5105 carburetor adjust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on a 5105 Dolmar that the owner says doesn't run right. The carburetor appears to be non-adjustable. Is it a good idea to either change the carb to an older one or try to drill into the metal that covers the screws, assuming there's screws under that thing. Maybe I should replace it with a 5100S carb?

ps5105.jpg There should be two screws with plastic caps on them so they cannot turn. The caps should pull right off. 219 and 218

It's probably got a white long epoxy over them. Mine did. I drilled and heated and picked mine out, until I could cut off the aluminum "shroud" around them. It might be cheaper to get a new carb. I know it would be easier, since you have top pull the carb to get the epoxy out anyway.

Mine has the square tube with the epoxy in it. I'm wondering if I could heat it up with the mini-torch and loosen up the epoxy. I may go to my local Dolmar dealer and see if he has a 5100S carb for it. I'd probably have to rebuild it but that's no biggy.

My EA4300 has the epoxied H screw but even with the cat gutted, it still four-strokes good at wide open. So, I'll get to the epoxy eventually. But, I'm at 6,000', so it's going to run rich, even with the cat removed and no adjustment on the H. I'm not sure how lean you'd be in Indiana.

Working on a 5105 Dolmar that the owner says doesn't run right. The carburetor appears to be non-adjustable. Is it a good idea to either change the carb to an older one or try to drill into the metal that covers the screws, assuming there's screws under that thing. Maybe I should replace it with a 5100S carb?

A 2014 5105 Canadian model came without the limiters tabs on the jets screws but with a Cat muffler.
A new zealand or australia issue came without the cat mufflers according to a parts list. The non cat muffler part number for these countries is 181 174 201. Hope this helps some.

My EA4300 has the epoxied H screw but even with the cat gutted, it still four-strokes good at wide open. So, I'll get to the epoxy eventually. But, I'm at 6,000', so it's going to run rich, even with the cat removed and no adjustment on the H. I'm not sure how lean you'd be in Indiana.
Not sure, but I've never actually started the saw yet, just received it today along with two other saws to work on. I'll probably get to this one next week after I see if the dealer has any carbs in stock..

I started the saw today and like the owner said, it doesn't run right. I tried a new spark plug which didn't help so I started digging into the epoxy on the carb. I used a mini-torch to loosen the epoxy but I will say that must be high temp epoxy because it didn't loosen much. I left it soaking a bit in some epoxy reducer to see if that'll loosen it up. I thought the epoxy was just a cap but it appears to run all down into that tube so it may be awhile. Dolmar dealer didn't have a carb for it, new or used so I'm stuck with this one for now..

Yeah the epoxy goes all the way down the length of the screws. I don't think you'll be able to get all the epoxy out without cutting that surrounding aluminum off of the carb.

Looks like that's how I'm going to do it, just cut it off and scrape some of the epoxy afterward. I still wonder if that's what's wrong with the saw. It seems like it has a miss in it which may be fuel related but it still might be the ignition module. I may take that cat muffler off and check into it also, might be clogged but I doubt it. Good thing I'm not working by the hour..

I finished taking the can off the H and L screws and cleaned the screws up along with the carburetor. The saw did fire up but still misses. I guess I'll try a coil on it since it already has a new spark plug and I didn't notice the plug wire or kill wire shorting to anything. I tried adjusting the carb but it didn't help..

Latest posts

Back