Dolmar 5105 questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsheldon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got my new 5105 yesterday. Dealer fired it up and walked me through all the features and how to start and service the saw while I was there. They gave me the Husky job box for $10, 2 extra loops of Windsor full chisel chain, 2 bottles of Dolmar oil and away I went.

I got home, filled up my old saw, and killed some weeds with the 1/4 gallon of 30 day old mix I had left and started fresh with a new gallon of gas and new oil. Topped it off with gas and bar oil--of course I over flowed the bar oil and made a mess on my virgin saw. Anyway, it popped on the first choked pull, and ran on the second--perfect. By the way, the "easy start" feature is really, really nice. By far and away the easiest pulling saw I have ever used. Easiest starting saw I have used except the silly Stihl easy2start homeowner saw that my buddy has. I would take this starting method over it in a second. I let it fast idle for 20 seconds or so and then knocked it down and it idled perfectly. Then I reved her up and all was good. I was pleased. Then I proceeded to start cutting up a huge pile of wood. My neighbor had a 80+ year old white oak fall on his house Sunday. It took out a big pine in the process. The tree company left everything that didn't have leaves on it for me as I burn wood for heat. I had to be real careful on 90% of the cuts as it was a tangled mess. The main trunk was about 26-30 inches in diameter and laying absolutely flat on the ground. Even with the 20 inch bar I had to work my way around the cuts on 50+ feet of main trunk. With it flat on the ground the last inch of each of the big cuts I was real careful and slowed the speed down so as to not tear up the chain on the ground. Everytime I did this--the second I let off the gas to let it idle it would die. Even some of the times after a nice full throttle cut it would die. This was constant throughout the whole first tank--I probably had to restart 20 times. The "easy start" really was useful. Then after the first tank was gone it took a good 20 pulls to get it going again. I knew I wasn't going to keep the Dolmar chain on it very long, but gave it a shot. It dulled super quick. It was done after the first tank and then I was forcing it through--not good on a new saw. It was getting late so I just called it a night. I took the cover off to look at the filter and it was absolutely spotless--it still looked like it had never been used. I was happy with that. Then I took it out and looked inside of it. Tiny dark brown dust particles were caked to the plastic on inside of the filter. I wasn't so pleased after that. The Cat muffler was starting to patina as it burned in and it made all kinds of funny smells as the metal and gases burned. Not one hint of exhaust smoke and the no real heat on my hands while cutting though. But man that sucker gets hot and stays hot forever. I had to wait about an hour before I was comfortable putting it back in its case.

Here are my questions:

I assume the running/idle problem is a simple adjustment and that my dealer will just play with the carb adjustments and all will be well. Is this a safe assumption?

I don't like the cat muffler and see that other people in here have replaced it with the 5100 muffler. Does this change the performance and airflow of the saw and does it need to be retuned after doing it? I asked my dealer if I could get the 5100 muffler for it and they told me the Dolmar rep told them no and that it will not work and that they won't order it for me. I assume this is for warranty reasons? Does that make sense?

Will the filter upgrade take care of the tiny dust particulates or do I need to use filter oil? The butterfly and the whole intake area around it were still perfectly spotless. The filter material itself was still perfectly clean, but the particles were on the inside.

Overall, I am pleased with how the saw cut--even though it isn't even close to broke in yet. Plus I like having a saw that no one has ever heard of. I had three guys ask me about it yesterday. The Dolmar chain is junk, but I knew that when I bought it and it came with the saw so it will be my emergency back up chain if I totally wreck my other two loops.

I don't want this to turn into a "you should have bought XYZ instead." I already bought this saw and like how it feels. I just need advice on how to proceed in setting it up the way I will like it even more.

Thanks in advance.

No experience with the Dolmar's but if I had a new saw that was dying as often as yours, I'd have it checked out before I ran it again.

I've worked out some of the same nuances that you are experiencing. Your dealer is wrong on the muffler. And the air filter up-date. Sent you a PM.

I've tried to kill the 5105 just to support all the opinions that the 5100s blow sky high. It's just $ right? Ran it full throttle in bar buried wood it had no business cutting until the tank went almost empty without letting up. Each time. The length of a 30' oak over 48" wide. Went to the other side to cut that side even though the bar wouldn't reach. Used the 440 to finish the core that was missed.

This saw was brand new with this test, first tank. Set it down and it just idled fine, burbling away ready for more non-sense. I like this saw. No problems of any kind since then either. Pulled the muffler and the piston looks just like it did when I put the 5100 muffler on, perfect.

This saw has the air filter update, non-cat muffler installed, Ultra/Klotz mix with non-ethanol 89 fuel. Set my own carb.

SOME Dealers are like Doctors that "practice" medicine. You will live longer if you stay away from them.

Guess I am one of the very few with a good little Dolmar. Don't give up yet...

Mine has been run hard from the time it made it out the door at the dealer. We went to his woodpile and cut about 1/2 tank there to make sure everything was good with it. Yours sounds like it might be a touch lean on the low or idle is too low. I've used mine as hard as any of the saws I've owned. I only have a 16" bar so I usually break out the bigger saws quicker than most people do.

Yeah, it's in the truck now and is going back in just a few minutes to have them adjust the carb so it stays running. Also, I forgot to get a file from them. I'll ask again about the muffler.

If they don't want to mess with selling you a muffler edge and engine on here will sell you one. My dealer told me to port it, change the muffler out or whatever I wanted to do and he would try his best to still warranty it all.

Yes we have the PS-5100 mufflers in stock. While it will "fit", it is true that by changing it you are technically voiding the warranty because the saw would no longer be stock.
http://www.edgeandengine.com/webstore/wecs.php?store=edge&action=display&target=DOL+181174201

There's a misconception regarding the air filter "upgrade", which is not really the case. The air filter is unchanged, but the compensation was removed, on the new filters the little hole on the bottom has been sealed off. I wouldn't worry about those specks on the spitback area, that's quite normal for any saw.

I wouldn't worry about those specks on the spitback area, that's quite normal for any saw.

I disagree with that to a point. If the dust is supper fine and the buildup doesn't get any worse the saw will be fine. With that said I find it necessary to apply some K&N spray air filter oil to the non HD filters on my 7900's and my brothers 510, this stopped all dust from getting passed the filter. Dust getting into any engine is not good!

bsheldon it does in fact sound like your saw just needs the carb adjusted, if the saw doesn't run correctly after you get it back from the dealer, ask for a new saw or get your money back.

Last edited:
I normally don't treat my equipment like this but just had to see how much truth was in the weakness and blown 5100s out there. After at least a dozen tanks of fuel it not only is stronger because the saw is broke in to say the least, it still just sits there and burbles waiting for the next task to take on.

Just an FYI, I would not buy this saw used from myself! But so far, so good. I wish chainsaws had redline indicators like a tach on a Porsche when I raced! Right on top of the hood! Some of the great engineers on this site just might think about that one....

E&E thanks for the link. I will be buying a new muffler for it. The Cat just getss way too hot--that is the whole point though.

I went to the dealer at lunch and he retuned it for me--He cut off the limiters and adjusted the L and H screws for me. It ran perfectly there--full throttle, half throttle, up and down continuously and it always settled back to nice smooth and cackling idle. Of course it also did this yesterday. We will see tonight. He was kind enough to give me a file, sharpen the chain I dulled last night and clean, flip and install a new chain for me today. All in about 10 minutes. I was very appreciative. Plus, he showed me how to properly touch up the chain. This is a different size than my other saw. He swears by Windsor chain. This will be my first venture with it tonight. It absolutely has to be better than the Dlomar chain that it came with. That stuff was terrible--he shaprened it for me, but it will be relagated to emergency only back-up or if I have some real nasty clearing I need to do--which is rare.

I have a friend that just bought a new 5105, and he's having some idle problems. I haven't had time to mess with his saw, and I really don't know what the problems are, but it's only had a few tanks run through it. Hopefully OP's saw and my friends only need adjustments made.

The 5100/5105 series seem to like a more rich L setting than any saw I've encountered. Turn it up and see the difference. I've tuned mine to sometimes start with no choke, first pull. Other times only one pull choke and next pull she's on.
If my EX would have started this easy I'd still be married to her....maybe.

Mine is usually one pull maybe two on choke and then one or two and it runs.

update

I ran another tank and a half through it last night.

She ran perfectly.

I am still amazed at how easy to start this thing is. None of the 5 Stihl's that I have used regularly are anywhere near this easy to start. Don't get me wrong, they always started without any major problems, but just not effortless like this new Dolmar.

I had some "big" cuts left to do last night on the 30" red oak. I just let the chain feed itslef through and right through it went. Bo problems at all. I set the saw down several time and turned it off to dig out some wood and it always fired right back up on the first hint of a pull. It always return back to that wonderful cackling idle from full throttle or half throttle--didn't matter. I do like the short aggressive trigger travel--it goes right to full throttle in short order. I had some ognorant cuts to do at the forks of the main trunk. THere were some pretty big chunks that had to ripped lengthwise right through the ignorant grains of the forks. The longest of which was over 3 feet and about 24" in diameter. The bar chattered a bit as the chain fought its way through the tough bastards, but the saw never wimpered a bit.

It is a thirsty saw--I ran the tank dry in about 20-30 minutes. My old saw takes about twice that to run dry. I didn't do any calculations or tests, but tank for tank with my old saw I don't know which actually can do more work. The biggest difference is the time it takes to do that much work. This cuts so much faster in the big stuff than my old 46cc saw. I'll gladly trade a few more gallons a year for several hours of labor saved.

The Windsor chain is decent enough. The "big" cuts had quite a bit of mud caked in the bark that I had to go through many times and it complained a bit. I was sure I was killing the edge doing the rip cuts, but it still chewed right through regular bucking cuts afterwards. I did hit the dirt just once and it didn't do a thing. This is vastly superior to the Dolmar chain it came with that immediately went from throwing chips to making dust after nicking the ground. The Windsor may not be the absolutely smoothest chain I have ever used, but it stays sharp through some pretty tough work and that is by far the most important thing. So far no complaints at all.

She stayed clean as well. I pulled the cover and the filter is just now starting to show that it isn't paerfectly brand new out of the box--It has had over 3 tanks through it. The whole area under the housing stays nice and clean.

The side tensioner is super nice and easy to use. The new chains stretched quite a bit and tightening them back up is just a matter of seconds.

Overall, I was very pleased with the saw last night.

FWIW, I do remember my 5100 dying every time I turned it through the first couple of tanks - although nowhere as near as yours (nor did i ever have to pull it 20+ times to get it started again).

Hopefully you've ironed out all the new-saw kinks & you're good to go. Its a fun saw, to be sure.

Latest posts

Back