Dolmar 5105 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmguywithasaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I’m rebuilding a dolmar 5105. I just got the new cylinder installed and it passed the pressure/vac test. I see it has a cat muffler so I will be deleting that. My question is the carb I have has that epoxy filled tube with the adjustment screw. Is it worth while trying to get that crap off to save that carb? I don’t really what to throw another 100 bucks at it if I don’t have too. Also I remember reading somewhere about the air filter needing updated if you have said carb but I cannot find where I read that.

Howdy Farmguy, I have 8 of those puppies PS-5105SC. Some of the plastic limiters were easy to pull off then some I had to use a Dremel and just grind the ears down all the way to the round shaft.

Howdy Farmguy, I have 8 of those puppies PS-5105SC. Some of the plastic limiters were easy to pull off then some I had to use a Dremel and just grind the ears down all the way to the round shaft.
There was no tabs on the original carb. The screws have an aluminum box around them and they are incased in epoxey.

@farmguywithasaw Look at this thread, there are 3 different carburetors these saws came with. The ones most of us have that run 2009-year speed version of 5105 run with original carb with red and white limiter caps. They apparently had a small batch of carbs circa 2012 that were epoxy filled. I followed @166 advice and purchased C1Q-DM13B carburetor. You can get one off eBay (got from wurknman seller) for about $45. They too come with limiter caps, but they are also plastic and can be removed or ears ground away.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/dolmar-5105-carburetor-adjust.318454/page-3#post-6534177

My local dealer wants 260 bucks for the new adjustable carb so I guess I will have to get creative
Some of them have black caps that you can add a slot with a dremmel or hacksaw blade to turn, some have regular limiter caps and some have the epoxy. The screws are encased in epoxy down deep, heat, drilling, picking may work but not an easy job and very time consuming. C1QDM13B is the carb you should buy and it is one of the better carbs for a PS-460, PS-510, PS-5100S, PS-5105 and or Makita equivalents. This carb should only cost $60-$80 max. This will save you a lot of aggravation for the cost involved. Digging out the epoxy heat picking and chipping drilling and a lot of patience will work if your stuck, I have done that before.

Mine came with 14A, but for some reason the word on the street is that 13B is still the best. Does anyone know what makes 13B better than version 1 carb in post I linked that came from 5100 generation?

Easy tuning is the main attraction, bore diameter is the same at 13.5mm. If your 14a is working well don't bother swapping.

Back