dolmar 6400 or Husqvarna 555?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 555 is quite seriously detuned regarding power output, not just "slightly" - and is lacking the Revboost.

Absolutely incorrect my good friend. They are actually very close. Some guys say there's not much of a difference. Remember that with Revboost, it's only a 2 second burst of an extra 2000RPM, so any cut lasting longer than that takes Revboost out of the equation.

Absolutely incorrect my good friend. They are actually very close. Some guys say there's not much of a difference. Remember that with Revboost, it's only a 2 second burst of an extra 2000RPM, so any cut lasting longer than that takes Revboost out of the equation.

The 555 I ran felt suspiciously similar to the 562... Wasn't limbing with it...
What's the exact HP difference??
:msp_confused:

Most answers point in the right direction. The 555 is much more modern with AT but the 6400 is a real Rambo when it comes to cutting.

Have you considerd an alternativ? I have read a lot of praises about the echo 600p here recently. They are supposed to be quite a nice sum cheaper. Might be an alternativ idea in the power range you need.

Rambo reference=conversation over! 6400 it is!!!!

Or find a good used 288 and you will never remember the number 6400.

OP, if you are going with the Dolmar, keep looking for an ex-rental. Those saws are a bargain and you aren't sacrificing any meaningful life of the saw.

Or find a good used 288 and you will never remember the number 6400.

OP, if you are going with the Dolmar, keep looking for an ex-rental. Those saws are a bargain and you aren't sacrificing any meaningful life of the saw.

Or hear someone yell it at ya, for that matter...

I have the 6421 and will be doing the conversion once I have enough money. This saw I ran on Saturday was very slightly ported according to the owner. A stock one shouldn't be far off. I think it is wearing a 28" full comp in oak. The saw is also super smooth too.

Justin

Justins Ported 7900 - YouTube

North West Ga. I have been all over Home depot. Finding those used rental saws is easier said than done. I think I would have to go to home depot everyday for 6 months to luck up and find one before it gets gone. I should have said earlier that I actually have some wood closer to 40". from what I've seen, the dolmar seems a good bit stronger.
Just call around the different HD's in your area. When I was looking for one, I was told they often sell rental tools in the spring time, so this may be the right time. One evening I walked into my local HD and bought a 6421 that was still one month away from clearance, but they sold it to me anyway. Target price should be MUCH closer to $200 than $300. Good Luck!

Just call around the different HD's in your area. When I was looking for one, I was told they often sell rental tools in the spring time, so this may be the right time. One evening I walked into my local HD and bought a 6421 that was still one month away from clearance, but they sold it to me anyway. Target price should be MUCH closer to $200 than $300. Good Luck!

I cycle between three different stores. Maybe I should put each store on speed dial and annoy them into selling me one. When I asked, they told me a used one would cost around $300. That's fine with me. Two of the stores I visit sold the saws a week before I got there. Hopefully more will come up soon. I will definitely call a few stores tomorrow.

I bought a new Makita (Dolmar) 6400 four or five years ago ( I think I paid $470) and have nothing but good things to say about it. It is my "big" saw. On paper my 038 super puts out the same hp, but the Makita feels a lot faster. It has given me no problems and runs great. I've considered the 79cc conversion, but can't bring myself to mess with a good thing. If I found a HD rental I would probably have to grab it to make a 7900 instead of opening up my 6400.

I bought a new Makita (Dolmar) 6400 four or five years ago ( I think I paid $470) and have nothing but good things to say about it. It is my "big" saw. On paper my 038 super puts out the same hp, but the Makita feels a lot faster. It has given me no problems and runs great. I've considered the 79cc conversion, but can't bring myself to mess with a good thing. If I found a HD rental I would probably have to grab it to make a 7900 instead of opening up my 6400.

I kind of feel the same way. After removing the cat on my 6421 I think I may just leave it stock and pick up another one from HD to do the swap. That way I can do a side by side comparison of the two saws at the same time. :)

Wish I would have been tuned in on the dolmars a while ago. I got a small huqvarna 450 saw at a local shop that I've regretted buying ever since. Don't get me wrong, it has done the job and still runs well, but I've used much better saws since buying it and am now all in for a pro saw. That's why I'm looking at the 6400. Guess I should have shopped smarter. I guess this site as well as my other saw buddies did well in teaching me to buy the right saw the first time. Thanks for all the advise guys. My buddy's 041 torque monster definitely taught me a thing or two about torque. It's ancient and still cuts great.

I kind of feel the same way. After removing the cat on my 6421 I think I may just leave it stock and pick up another one from HD to do the swap. That way I can do a side by side comparison of the two saws at the same time. :)
Similar story here, I bought a new 6421 from Bailey's; I installed a non-cat muffler and heavy duty air filter from Edge & Engine, but didn't want to tear it up to turn it into a 7900. Home Depot was good in this regards for providing the basis of my 7900 project saw. The only downside is I spent way more money than I should have - if I keep up this hobby, hopefully my kids won't mind community college instead of a university.:msp_wink:

Makita it is!!!!

Makita 6421 secured. Thanks Murph! Truly a good guy. Cant wait to get to work this weekend. Got lots of wood to cut. Maybe I"ll post some photos of the new saw in action.

Back