555 vs ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigeon_No_9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!

Before the upcoming season, I'm planning to get myself a proper firewood saw, as I'm currently running a Husqvarna 135 mk ii, which has been great for few years, but was never bought for what I am currently cutting (logs ranging 10-25 inces).
I thought I had it figured out - went to the dealer to talk about 555 and 560xp and decide on one of these. After chatting a bit, he mentioned that they have MS261 on sale, which is in the same 3kw range as 555 but costs way less 720 usd compared to 1070 usd for 555. (Granted, I can get the 555 960 usd in a different place, so the actual difference is around 200 usd) + weighs less.
Somehow the 261 has almost 10 cc less, but produces the same power.
I am intrigued by the lighter and cheaper option for way less money, but would like a second opinion on this. Less weight is a nice bonus, as my firewood mostly lays on the ground and I have to work with my back bent. Lighter saw would be much appreciated.
Reason I'm hesitant is because first and probably the most important - I am a brand loyalist. Second - the same power out of smaller displacement makes me thing the resource won't be as large for the smaller motor.
Any input / comments will be highly appreciated.

Regards

is the 261 the mtronic? or auto tune
i prefer the auto tune saws these days just for going out and cutting. granted I still have many carb saws but I tend to grab my auto tune saws for the enjoyment of running

is the 261 the mtronic? or auto tune
i prefer the auto tune saws these days just for going out and cutting. granted I still have many carb saws but I tend to grab my auto tune saws for the enjoyment of running
I think the mtronic is the Stihl's version of Husqvarna auto tune but I might be wrong. I know the 555 is AT, but not sure if 261 is plain old carb, or one with the chip

I think the mtronic is the Stihl's version of Husqvarna auto tune but I might be wrong. I know the 555 is AT, but not sure if 261 is plain old carb, or one with the chip
yes m-tronic is sthil I worded that wrong. I mainly just call them auto-tune saws these days
I am a big fan of the 550 I think the 555 is very similar to the 562

I have a 261 and a 241 both autotune saws and I really enjoy them. I ran a 550xp clearing professionaly on the right of ways and i like the feel of the husky better.

but like I said on the farm I have sthil price was right when I bought them. the 261 is my go to saw for firewood to cutting trees down. I run 18" bar so it does very well for firewood.
also look in the timbewolf 590 great saws can find them cheap on marketplace

yes m-tronic is sthil I worded that wrong. I mainly just call them auto-tune saws these days
I am a big fan of the 550 I think the 555 is very similar to the 562

I have a 261 and a 241 both autotune saws and I really enjoy them. I ran a 550xp clearing professionaly on the right of ways and i like the feel of the husky better.

but like I said on the farm I have sthil price was right when I bought them. the 261 is my go to saw for firewood to cutting trees down. I run 18" bar so it does very well for firewood.
also look in the timbewolf 590 great saws can find them cheap on marketplace
That's what I've been reading also - at has matured a lot since the early models and cause no more issues than regular carb. For me however this does not change much as where I come from, it's flat all across. Never going to go somewhere, where the carb would need to adjust to altitude. Temperatures swing, but I've had no issues with that on my 135mk2 (aside from some run in problems). I am more worried about the smaller engine in 261 suffering more in long, continuous cutting sessions

The 261 will do just fine. Its a pro saw so it is built a little better than the homer side of things. I believe the 555 is a pro saw also. Tuff call the 261 is great saw. I am not biased to any brand. I tend to buy pro line of saws. Buy once cry once.

In the US, the MS261cm is Mtrocnic and the MS261 is not. Both are available. Both are excellent pro saws.

The 555 is an autotune semi-pro saw. Husky calls it a pro saw on their US web page, but it is the low-rated version of the 562XP. Both are excellent saws.

I just cannot see going wrong with any of the four. I run all four on the job...but, if I was buying one, I would buy the MS261. My Stihl dealer is too far away for me to want a computer-chip saw...I fully realize the auto saws are very reliable...

Roy

Either of those saws are worlds ahead of what you’re running now. You can’t really make a bad choice!

The m-tronic 261 is a nice saw, but it has never wowed me. I suspect you’d notice the displacement difference between it and the 555/560 in bigger wood, though, even with similar claimed horsepower for the 555.

I’ve never run the 555 but it has always interested me. It seems to hit a sweet spot in terms of power, weight, and cost.

Either of those saws are worlds ahead of what you’re running now. You can’t really make a bad choice!

The m-tronic 261 is a nice saw, but it has never wowed me. I suspect you’d notice the displacement difference between it and the 555/560 in bigger wood, though, even with similar claimed horsepower for the 555.

I’ve never run the 555 but it has always interested me. It seems to hit a sweet spot in terms of power, weight, and cost.
you hit that nail on the head for that.
Ive ran 562 and 550s and the 241 and 261 (I like the feel of the 550s better) but I have a 261 on the farm.

What kind of trees are you cutting? Deciduous hardwood or coniferous softwoods?
I was thinking the same thing but this comes down to his raker height and chains. If he wants to switch out.

All are a tuff choice but then again you cant go wrong with the saws he was talking about

The m-tronic 261 is a nice saw, but it has never wowed me. I suspect you’d notice the displacement difference between it and the 555/560 in bigger wood,

I have both saws. I agree with computeruser. For bucking logs, if I could have only one of them I would choose the 555.

Hope you find these two afleetcommand videos interesting. But you may end up wanting a 565.

In the US, the MS261cm is Mtrocnic and the MS261 is not. Both are available. Both are excellent pro saws.

The 555 is an autotune semi-pro saw. Husky calls it a pro saw on their US web page, but it is the low-rated version of the 562XP. Both are excellent saws.

I just cannot see going wrong with any of the four. I run all four on the job...but, if I was buying one, I would buy the MS261. My Stihl dealer is too far away for me to want a computer-chip saw...I fully realize the auto saws are very reliable...

Roy
The price I got is for regular 261, not the cm version. That's ensuring to hear, that any of the four would do the job. Just that knowing myself, if I go with the stihl, I'd probably suffer buyers remorse until I either sell it and get husqvarna or my wife beats some sense into me for making another, nearly sub 1k mistake purchase. Reason I'm considering it at all is the pretty massive price difference

I have both saws. I agree with computeruser. For bucking logs, if I could have only one of them I would choose the 555.

Hope you find these two afleetcommand videos interesting. But you may end up wanting a 565.

Thanks for the content! Will check the second video tomorrow. I've actually watched the first one two times already and verdict is about what you've said - should get a 565. Or even better 572. But I've drawn my line and 6 kilos at around 3kw is what I'm after. After all, it depends on what content you search. Guess how I landed on 555? From videos about 550 vs 555. And I only started watching reviews about 550 because I wanted to know, how much better it is compared to 545, which I wanted initially. Sigh..

565/572 is another jump in chassis size, weight, and bulk. And, I would think, cost. Coming from a 135, this would be overkill if you’re actually able to cut what you need with the 135 now, just slowly.

Are you cutting firewood for yourself and friends? Commercially? What kind of volume? How often? Where?

When we are cutting logs to length, usually where we set them on a table at waist height using the tractor/loader, the bigger saws are more productive. By this I mean 70cc or more. Recently it has been the 592 and 572. When in a more natural setting or on a pile of dumped logs of various sizes and shapes, the lighter and more nimble saws are better for us hobby wood cutters; if we were as fit and strong as full time loggers, maybe this wouldn’t matter as much. Lately that has been Stihl 400, Husqvarna 562 and 550, and Dolmar 5100sh (ported, cuts like the MS400). This is for straight trunks.

If limbing out a lot and cutting trunks a little, as where you are cutting trees down in the forest, the ported 543xp and 346xpg are often the better choice.

I guess my point is it all depends what you cut, where you cut it, and what your performance expectations are.

For what it matters, I am happiest felling and cutting with the little potted 543xp or the old 238/242 saws, even if they are slower than the bigger displacement machines.

If your doing one saw I'd skip them all and grab a 562xp or stihl ms400cm. Had 562xp for years, got a 400 this past spring it's a great saw. To the point I wouldn't go back to a 562xp unless money was an issue. They were a good bit cheaper then the 400.
If I had to get one of the mentioned it would be the 555. Auto tune or mtronic don't really have any issues these days, it's nothing to fear. The 261 is a fine saw but for just having one saw, your not gaining much weight and getting a robust 60cc saw.

565/572 is another jump in chassis size, weight, and bulk. And, I would think, cost. Coming from a 135, this would be overkill if you’re actually able to cut what you need with the 135 now, just slowly.

Are you cutting firewood for yourself and friends? Commercially? What kind of volume? How often? Where?

When we are cutting logs to length, usually where we set them on a table at waist height using the tractor/loader, the bigger saws are more productive. By this I mean 70cc or more. Recently it has been the 592 and 572. When in a more natural setting or on a pile of dumped logs of various sizes and shapes, the lighter and more nimble saws are better for us hobby wood cutters; if we were as fit and strong as full time loggers, maybe this wouldn’t matter as much. Lately that has been Stihl 400, Husqvarna 562 and 550, and Dolmar 5100sh (ported, cuts like the MS400). This is for straight trunks.

If limbing out a lot and cutting trunks a little, as where you are cutting trees down in the forest, the ported 543xp and 346xpg are often the better choice.

I guess my point is it all depends what you cut, where you cut it, and what your performance expectations are.

For what it matters, I am happiest felling and cutting with the little potted 543xp or the old 238/242 saws, even if they are slower than the bigger displacement machines.
Those are good questions I did not consider of importance. I cut about 20-30 cubic meters a year. This year it will be more probably. I cut for myself, so time is not critical though with 135 I feel that I waste o lot of it. I usually cut around spring and early summer when it's +5c or above. (Sorry, I mixed measurement systems. Wanted to start my post with imperial, as I feel majority of folks here are from overseas).
All the logs are either laid on the ground, or cut while stacked. No waist level cutting for me unfortunately and that's why I'd like to stop at 50-60cc options, to not add unnecessary weight.

If your doing one saw I'd skip them all and grab a 562xp or stihl ms400cm. Had 562xp for years, got a 400 this past spring it's a great saw. To the point I wouldn't go back to a 562xp unless money was an issue. They were a good bit cheaper then the 400.
If I had to get one of the mentioned it would be the 555. Auto tune or mtronic don't really have any issues these days, it's nothing to fear. The 261 is a fine saw but for just having one saw, your not gaining much weight and getting a robust 60cc saw.
Well, I would have happily bought the 555 or 560xp already after visiting the dealer, as I did not seriously consider Stihl at all. Only after the offer on 261 I started to second guess myself. So thank you for suggesting, what I don't doubt is a great saw, but for the same price as 262xp, I'd probably go for that. I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but every other piece of engine powered powertool in my household is Husqvarna and I am willing to get a Stihl only if price would be amazing.
I know, it's a stupid thing to base my purchasing decisions on, but that's my thought process. If I find a brand with minimal issues, I tend to stick with it.
Knipex, wera, victorinox, gardenam fiskars.. all of these rarely break and if they do, customer support has never left me hanging.

Hello! Just an update: talked some more with the dealer about 555 vs 261 vs 560xp and the explanation he provided, fell somewhat in line with my existing understanding - xp models have the rew boost for a short while when throttling to help with brush, limb removal.
This high rewing in a long-term could shorten the lifespan of the engine. The same goes for the bigger displacement - engine has to work less in order to deliver the same power. If my understanding is wrong, I'll happily hear from anyone smarter than me on these topics.
Posting this just to maybe help someone as clueless as myself.
Edit: confirmation bias got the best of me. bought 555

Cheers

Latest posts

Back