dolmar 6400 or Husqvarna 555?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6400...go forth and fear not!

even the bigger ones are not really any problem with the 6400's. Mine is an 07 from baileys...it wears a 24" speed tip all the time. I never felt a loss of pulling with it i even put on a 3/8ths 8 pin rim on it with no adverse effects unless its buried in dry hedge...but i'm going to disgrace it with a ported 84cc BB kit i bought at the same time. figured i'll still have the 64cc stuff if i have a problem...bearings and seals are not biggie...i figured what the heck! with a 10-saw plan i can afford to take risks!

got a makita today

With Murph's help I got a Makita 6421 today. How awesome is that!! She needs a bath...and a good bar.....and a good chain, But runs like top and will no doubt be cutting this evening. Photos coming when the new parts arrive.

You made a good choice! It will last you forever and if you get the bug Big Bore Kits are cheap and easy to do.

Wow, that saw cleaned up very nice. I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to clean it bf I shipped it, but I was doing good to get it boxed at 5am!

The 6401's are great saws and are even better with a 79cc top-end. !!

Neal

No question 6400

The 6400 is such an awsome saw. Build, handling, torque and I could go on. Best mid 60cc saw made.

Murph is a good dude....even if he is a Braves fan !!!

You're gonna love that Mak...ive got three. Two stockers and a bb. Love them.

Darn right he's a good dude! Restored my faith in people to be honest and unselfishly helpful to others. Same goes for many others on AS. Being a Braves fan helps matters even more...... Angelo...... I assume your a Yankee fan, or even worse a mets fan. LOL!!!! We don't need to start a baseball thread in the off topic forum......do we???? I'm game!

The 6400 is such an awsome saw. Build, handling, torque and I could go on. Best mid 60cc saw made.

That is highly debatable - and mainly because of lack of interest in making mid 60cc saws that isn't cheaper alternatives to larger cc saws.

Anyway, the best "mid 60" saw likely still is the Jonsered 670 Champ, even though it is close to two decades since production stopped! :D

That is highly debatable - and mainly because of lack of interest in making mid 60cc saws that isn't cheaper alternatives to larger cc saws.

Anyway, the best "mid 60" saw likely still is the Jonsered 670 Champ, even though it is close to two decades since production stopped! :D

This may be true, but a fellow can still get a 6401...
Just sayin....
The 365 is no slouch either...

I was thinking saws on the market today

I see what you are saying. I was just thinking of saws on the market today. Bieng a saw only repair/mod shop and having seen a bunch of 60-70 cc saws, more than some folks but less than others. I don't claim to know or have experienced it all. I but having tested in wood the 6400 and owned it personally and I have been very impressed. Not a fair comparrison the 555. Stronger and faster than the MS 361/362, husqvarna 365, and I would say that cuts right along side at 372 or 044.

andy

I see what you are saying. I was just thinking of saws on the market today. Bieng a saw only repair/mod shop and having seen a bunch of 60-70 cc saws, more than some folks but less than others. I don't claim to know or have experienced it all. I but having tested in wood the 6400 and owned it personally and I have been very impressed. Not a fair comparrison the 555. Stronger and faster than the MS 361/362, husqvarna 365, and I would say that cuts right along side at 372 or 044.

andy

I wasn't trying to compare two seemingly equal saws. Point was to see how much favor the dolmar got considering its heft. That and that the fact that I could have gotten either new for roughly the same price. I ended up with a use makita. Gave it a light workout today on some storm cleanup. Definitely felt the weight, but man it cuts fast. View attachment 296270

Now need a 40-50cc saw. That would have been nice today. Just got rid of a lesser quality 50 cc to fund the dolmar. Since I wound up with a makita, I guess I'll be getting another sooner than expected. Maybe one of Murph's 346's.

Yes, the 6400 weighs close to the 7900

You are correct there are a few real 60cc specific chassis saws offered, they are generally a smaller displacment head on a bigger chassis. Why? I would figure that a mid 60cc saw done well would sell very well. I heard that echo has an offering in the categorie that is pretty good, but it hard to find echo geeks on AS. I personally like the cs 4600 and have boxes full of parts saws waiting to make a handful of woods ported sleepers. Before I got a lathe for compression work, I just widend the ports on a cs4600 and it was a really nice little saw.

I am not a library of saw info but is the Husqvarna 268 the same as the 670 champ? or something like that.

andy

dolmar 5100 or a woods ported 50cc saw

I wasn't trying to compare two seemingly equal saws. Point was to see how much favor the dolmar got considering its heft. That and that the fact that I could have gotten either new for roughly the same price. I ended up with a use makita. Gave it a light workout today on some storm cleanup. Definitely felt the weight, but man it cuts fast. View attachment 296270

Now need a 40-50cc saw. That would have been nice today. Just got rid of a lesser quality 50 cc to fund the dolmar. Since I wound up with a makita, I guess I'll be getting another sooner than expected. Maybe one of Murph's 346's.

I would think since you are a Dolmar fan that the Blue version of the 5100 for a 50cc saw would fit nicely next to your 6400. I have never owned a 346xp but have worked on a handful and have had them in wood. They are nice. Here is a thought. I woods ported a open port "run of the mill" 351, wich in the same cylinder family as the 346 and 353. I cut the cylinder/squish and gave it 220 psi, and did some port timing and area work. It was really,really nice and strong saw when I finished and quit a bit ahead of a stock 346xp regarding torque. You can pick up a 351 for much less than even a parts 346xp and have it woods ported. It would be a sleeper, and when you beat your buddies 346xp by a couple of seconds, you will smile even larger.

andy

I am not a library of saw info but is the Husqvarna 268 the same as the 670 champ? or something like that.

andy

The 268se/xp/Special was close, but not exactly the same - the 670 Champ was the "hottest" of the 67cc saws in that "saw family".

The later open port "streight" 268s wasn't close at all.

I wonder how a Dolmar 120 super would compare with the 670 champ or an 038 super.

I wonder how a Dolmar 120 super would compare with the 670 champ or an 038 super.

When modded, they run and cut hard...
In stock form, I've found them lacking...
Sort of a low rpm lugging machine...
And heavy for the power they develope..

Got a load of hickory

Used the new makita to help a friend cut up big hickory today. Said his dad wanted the big stuff so cut it and left it. Fine with me, I don't have to slit as much. Got a decent truck load. Makita pulled good through the 20"stuff. We'll see how it fairs in the 36" oak coming down behind the house Thursday. View attachment 296445

Back