Dolmar 6400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, I am keeping my eyes open for a 046 parts saw to play around with a few mods. Part of the reason was to add a saw that will fit nicely between my 346 and my 385. A recent post was discussing the Dolmar saws. I decided to look into them. They really look like great saws. I think the 6400 would fill my hole nicely. I already know that it is a little heavy for it's size and the same frame as the 7900. But the price is attractive for the saw. The dealer quoted 520.00. I did not even ask if that included a bar. What is a good price, and what would you expect a 7900 to go for. The good news is that I don't really need the saw, but I can afford another toy. The bad news is the dealer here only carries one Dolmar and only carries if for one customer, but they can sell me any Dolmar and support it. They were very upfront about not knowing much about the saws.

I did run across a PS400 in a pawn shop for 90.00. I almost picked it up, but decided I did not need another small saw. Any thoughts on this saw.

Jim

having owned the jonsered equivalent of the 385, and now owning a 7900
(6401 makita converted to 7900). You'll want to get rid of that heavier 385.

The 6400/6401 is really a great saw. It isn't the fastest in the cut, but it excellant in user friendly. The antivibe is awesome and the torque of the small cc motor is not expected from a saw that size. I liked it that much, I had to upgrade mine to the larger saw in the same family. It is slowly taking the place Of my modded 372 as my primarly saw in the woods.

To answer your question, 520 isn't bad. The 7900 goes for 689 powerhead only out here, I didn't price a bar and chain, as I already have a ton.

-Steve

There's only one way to go when it comes to the 6400 for modding and playing around with: Get a blue, used one from Home Depot's rental department. You can read more about the ex-rental Makitas here: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32768

$650 7900, $218 6401.
resized_6401_7900_01a.jpg

At retail, which was $425-450 last time I checked, the 6400/6401 is still a decent deal. But at ex-rental prices, they're a steal and a much better way to get into one. The thing about the 6400 is that it is the same saw as the 7900, just with a smaller bore. Which leaves you wondering why anyone would pay retail for the 6400 when, for a few bucks more, they could have a saw that easily runs with your 385 yet still weighs the same as the 6400.

That said, the 6401 Makita that I bought from HomeDepot (and gave to a friend so he'd stop using my saws) has proven itself to be a very strong little saw. It has all the qualities of its larger siblings - great antivibe, easy to work on, torquey motor - and if all you need is 64cc then you should be quite content with your choice. In wood under 18" there really isn't much difference between the 6401 and the 7900 when both are wearing the same 20" b/c combo. In wood that requires the use of a longer bar, the displacement difference is obvious, but since you already have a 385 this probably doesn't matter too much for your purposes.

A 7900 can happily run this all day long. A 6400, probably not.
7900_28.jpg

The last new blackcap 7900 I bought was like $479.00,anyway the 6400 barrels are open channel transfer ports. On the 64cc barrels there is talk about altering the directional charge by the way it enters the chamber,thus making much more RPM and torque to out cut a 7900.

Bummer, I called HD and they said that they had one for 205.00. When I got there to see it, he realized that it was sold earlier in the week. Thinks they will have another on in a couple of weeks.

Jim

TopJimmy said:
Bummer, I called HD and they said that they had one for 205.00. When I got there to see it, he realized that it was sold earlier in the week. Thinks they will have another on in a couple of weeks.

Jim

Have them put you on a list, kinda like they call you first. I have done that more than once.

-Steve

Ron..................... How in the world go you get away with those avatars of yours?????????????????????????????????? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Anyway, if you get the 7900 maybe you and I could work something out on the 385 Jim? I seldom need a saw that big so the weight isn't an issue for me, but it sure would be nice to have a beast!!!!! Make you a good trade on a gently used Stihl ms 390, 2 bars and 5 chains? How could you go wrong:hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Andy,

I will keep it in mind, but I have a problem, I love to buy tools, but can not stand to part with them. I know it's an illness. I have always had the following theory: If things get really bad for me financially, with the wide assortment of tools and skills I have, I can always make a living, or in a worse case I can start selling tools. I think that this is really more of a justification to keep buying tools and equipment, than a plan that will actually be put into action.

It is really a sickness, I am a small commercial general contractor, I am bidding a remodel of a downtown building. The owner ask me if I had anyone that could take down a few trees growing next to the building, no problem I said. Then I started thinking "maybe I need a new saw for this project" Oh well if times get bad, it just be another tool to sell!

Jim

Yep........... you are going to fit in just fine around here:ices_rofl: Let me know if you need some help with them there trees ( or anything else for that matter!!!! People are getting real tight with their money around here I am noticing!!!)
Andy

Now I am torn on this, I was reading on this thread earlier then ended up at HD today and walked into the rental area and asked the guy if they had any saws for sale, he said yes we have two of them and walked me back to the 6401, he told me they where around 200 each and both of them had some wear and tear on the outside but nothing major, I asked him if they where guaranteed to run and he said yes and that I could check it out before buying it if I wanted to. I ony have yellow/ orange and white in my collection so far but it wouldn't take alot to add some blue to it.

no, it is very easy at that price.

One thing I have to say, is check them out good. Check them out like you are buying your wife a vehicle to take on a long trip. i say this, because I have seen many problems with them. The first one I bought had more issues that I, or anybody else had thought. Let's just say that one didn't make it too long. You are taking a risk on something that more than likely has been beat on by more people that you can imagine, and most of them don't know the difference between chips flying off of the chain, or smoke rolling off of it. Pay attention to the bearings, AV mounts, etc. Look deeper than the plastic covers....

-Steve

Wow, I have been in both Home Depots already this week (for other reasons that looking for a used saw), I stopped by the rental department and seem to get a different answer each time. I have been told the following:

1. Sorry, we can not sell one right now, we sold one last week. We should get another in a couple of weeks, then we can sell you one.

2. Can't sell one right now. They have to be at least 18 months old, but when they are, the price may be lower than 205.00 (he did not say why, but I assume that the additional rental revenue would lower the price). He told me that they get in trouble when they sell before they should. 3 months untill they hit the 18month mark, but if corporate knows that people want to buy, they sometimes will allow them to sell sooner. I gave up when to check back and left my number, but have little confidence that they will. (I need a different smile to insert here, how about a monkey blanking a football)

3. None for sale right now, we won't sell any untill after the busy season, check back in January.

I agree with the earlier comments, if I were to purchase new, I would get the 7900. The only drawback I can see is the extra 100+ up front.

Jim

Back