Dolmar 7900.....Best saw ever made???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the 7900 the best saw ever made??

• Yep.

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • Nope.

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • Let's not forget about the 681.

Votes: 11 12.6%

• Total voters
It is not the best saw made. There is just no other saw that is better. :greenchainsaw:

With all the new EPA regulations I bet it stays the best for a long time.

As time goes by though with the EPA we'll be seeing more strato saws for sure. It'll be neat to see (in a few years hopefully) how an MS461 would do compared to a 7900. It'll definitely give the 79'er a run for it's money! :)

I have been cutting wood since the early 70s and I have run alot of saws from all the top manufacturers and I always thought that
the Dolmar 120 was the best until I got a 7900. The 7900 is lite,fast,with alot of torque for bigger bars and very durable.And even though the stock filter is just fine in most in most cases the HD filter is possibly the best filter there is. I will say that I think with the recent price increases that the HD filter should be included with the saw.

I voted no. I've voted no each time one of these polls came up (except for Jeremy's, which smartly did not offer me a chance to vote no, even though I'd have done so.)

There's just no "best saw ever." Ever. I'm just saying.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Difficult one chucker. I think it is on it's way to becoming the best saw ever made but still has a long road ahead. Only when it has started to be accepted by a heap of pros can we claim that.
If you put a heap of saws in a room and asked guys to run them all when they had never touched a chainsaw before you may find the 7900 is the most popular :cheers:
The thing the 7900's have over nearly every other saw at the moment is that HD filter kit - it is awesome.

You know I love my 7900's mate (I have 3) but I tell you what, those 390XP's are an awesome saw as well (I have 2)...

I'd like to hear more on this, I'm thinking of buying one, and I wouldn't be nice to it. The one big issue I can see is dealer support, at least on this side of the Mississippi. F-ing Stihls are just starting to get a bit spendy for those of us who have to actually make a living with them.- Sam

I got one less than two weeks ago because I think it is the best saw for me and the size wood I cut.A pic without the HD filter which is sitting in my garage and my 346.
attachment.php

the ONLY thing that can be legitimately pointed out that is a flaw with this saw is the dealer support. there is no combination of power, weight, smoothness, durability and cost that comes close. other saws might be close or slightly eclipse it on one or two areas, but this saw has the total package in the way this saw does.

I got one less than two weeks ago because I think it is the best saw for me and the size wood I cut.A pic without the HD filter which is sitting in my garage and my 346.
attachment.php

i have said it many times, and i will say it again, the 346 and 7900 are the perfect two-saw plan. it will met every need of 95+% of the chainsaw users.

I'd like to hear more on this, I'm thinking of buying one, and I wouldn't be nice to it. The one big issue I can see is dealer support, at least on this side of the Mississippi. F-ing Stihls are just starting to get a bit spendy for those of us who have to actually make a living with them.- Sam

Redprospector/Andy has run a number for a few years now in his crew in NM.

From what I've read on here he has no brand loyalty as he runs Stihl and Husky too, and it seems like he really likes the 7900.

Latest posts

Back