Dolmar 7900 or Jonsered 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I narrowed my choice down to Dolmar 7900 and Jonsered 2171.

I am looking for pro's and con's on each saw. I am very lucky that I am very close to dealers of both brands so service and parts will not be an issue.

Here are some question's I have:
a) Which saw might last longer?
b) Which saw has less problems?
c) Which saw feels better when cutting?
d) Which saw is easier to service?

There must be some of you that owned both saws and I figure you might be the deciding factor for my decision.

The thing that I like about both is the weight is about the same. (13.6 lbs power head only is my limit)

I would like to thank all that can give input.

dolmar is stronger,jred is a nice saw too,maybe the dealers can let you test drive both and you can see which saw you like better?

Which ever one you can get the better deal on. If both are good deals then you are gonna have to buy them both. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yep

Can't go wrong either saw!! Boils down personal preference. 7900 gets my vote:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

+1

Only thing, the 2171 is a girly saw comparatively speaking against the 7900. you'd have to run it against the 7300 for it to be a fair competition. I've got about 200hrs on my 7900 with no probs. You want serious ponies and the fun, get the 7900 dude.

:cheers:

Caveat: I've never run a 7900.

That said, there's an OPE dealer here in the area that has a bad reputation, primarily because they suck and they deserve it, but I digress...there's a dealer here that stocks a handful of Dolmars, and I just don't like the way they "fit" me.

The Jonnys I do like. For me it comes down to the straight handlebar. On the Dolmar they're cranked way the hell over at what I feel is too severe of an angle. On the Jonny they run straight across.

The manufacturers claim the angle is more ergonomic, but I've always suspected it was a way to save a couple ounces on weight. (You'll notice most Jonnys weigh a couple ounces more than their orange brethren...)

Personal preference only, your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited, no purchase necessary to win. See website for full details. Side effects may include headache and runny nose. See your doctor if erection lasts for more than six hours.

I can only answer from what I've read here. My hands-on experience with those saws is very limited.

a) Probably the 2171-They are more proven and have a 2 ring piston.
b) 2171/372 and bulletproof-A few Dolmar oil leaks have popped up on here.
c) Probably about the same
d) Probably about the same-Count on cleaning the a/f on the Dolmar more.

For me when I first picked up a 7900 I thought it felt pretty funky compared to my 371 or friends 460s (as well as my other saws). But once I pulled the trigger and put it to wood all was right with the world. Very nice in the cut, and I feel more productive with the 7900 than any other saw I've run (in that size).

I just got a 7900 this summer, so I'm a little biased, but I LOVE this saw. I've ran it against my FIL's 2171 (which I think is a great saw in it's own right) and it totally blew it away. Either one will give you many years of good service, but the Dolmar will give you a LOT more power at a similar weight. I can't see why someone wouldn't get the 7900 unless they were dependant on a dealer and didn't have one close. My nearest dealer is 120mi away, but that really doesn't bother me.

The Dolmar 7900 rules it's power/weight range period!! The other saw manufacturers now have to figure out how to compete. Stihl will use the MS460 and their superior dealer network. I'm not sure what Husquvarna/Jonsered will do.

I narrowed my choice down to Dolmar 7900 and Jonsered 2171.

I am looking for pro's and con's on each saw. I am very lucky that I am very close to dealers of both brands so service and parts will not be an issue.

There must be some of you that owned both saws and I figure you might be the deciding factor for my decision.

The thing that I like about both is the weight is about the same. (13.6 lbs power head only is my limit)

a) I'd say the 2171. More power in the same weight usually means less longetivity. I would guess the 7900 will last like a ported 2171 or so.
b) Don't know. No experience with the 7900. But like someone said, the 2171 is a bullet proof design.
c) Might come down to the handle bar. I think you have to try and hold them both in your hands. The 2171 has excellent antivibe and is really smooth in the cut. Air filtration on Husky/Johnny is the best there is.
d) Don't know. More or less the same I'd say. The 2171 also has inboard clutch.

I think it really comes down to if you need the extra power of the 7900 ? The power is the argument for the 7900 because power is nice. How big is the wood you will be cutting? Extra hp only serves you in bigger wood. In small wood, a 346 will outcut both these saws. A friend of mine which is a full time professional logger buys 2 new 2171 every year. (Dolmar really isn't an option here, I don't know where I could get one.) He gets them ported, muffler modded and with the 75cc cylinder direct from the dealer. They sure do run good..... I don't know how a 7900 responds to mods (if you need any ;) ) How do they compare in price?

Last edited:

Both are a tad heavier than advertised........:greenchainsaw:

....not that it really matters.

The Husky 372xp is the World Champion saw, so why bother with those two.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, if you really need (or think you need) the power of the 7900, get that one - if not get the ol' reliable 2171 or the 372, depending on which handlebar angle feel better to you - they are basically the same saw, made by Husky.

You really can't go wrong anyway.....:)

the real question should be 2186 or 7900

cause the 7900 blows the 2171 right out of the cut. The 7900 has similar power to the 385/2186 but is a couple pounds lighter.

Or 2171 vs PS7300 for similar power saws.

Scott

cause the 7900 blows the 2171 right out of the cut. The 7900 has similar power to the 385/2186 but is a couple pounds lighter.

Or 2171 vs PS7300 for similar power saws.

Scott

The logic is right, if you need the power - and I believe even the 7300 will outcut the 2171 in larger wood.....:greenchainsaw:

Thanks everyone.

I purchased a 2171 last week and love it.
I have a very good dealer close to me. The saw feels good and that is one of the main reasons I went with the 2171. A saw that feels right should be safer and less tiring to use. The HP is plenty for what I do. I will use a 24" bar at most. Another thing is the track record this saw has. It has a very good one.

Be safe

Can't go wrong either saw!! Boils down personal preference. 7900 gets my vote:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

does this mean that you are chainging your name to "dolmarjonny" ?

lol

i havent run the 2171 but have spent some time on the 7900. great saw but if the 2171 is the sister to the 372 then it is a cant miss as well.

support and price makes this choice of yours

oldirty

Back