Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
artwood said:
Anybody have some pics of their 7900 modded muffler? There must be a big basket inside that muffler (really thought it must be catalytic from the size).

Also, I noticed that the blue version has different specs. 5.8 bhp vs. 6.4 on the Dolmar. What would be the discrepancy? - Eric

I am curious as to where you see these different specs. The 7901 is not listed on the Makita USA website and on the Dolmar USA website is show 6.3bhp?

FYI, there is a pre-filter available for the 6400-7900 saws that attachs to the outside of the filter hood. Part number 038173200. Attached is a picture.

*If* the 7900 is closed port then, as to 7300 or 7900 it's a no brainer as bwalker said.

But, is the 7900 is closed port? It's hard to get an answer. There are posts all over the map on this one. one says, 6400s are closed, another they are open. Note the silence of domar_tech on the point. Other threads have stated that the 6400 and 7900 are open port, the 7300 closed, in which case the fuel efficiency and torque of the significantly more expensive construction of the closed port design might give a better "end of the day" value to the theoretically "smaller" but more fuel efficient and more expensive to produce but less expensive to buy 7300.

Did Dolmar ever produce a set of full wrap bars for the 6400-7900 frame? There was some talk of them a while ago. By comparison to the small increase in cost and weight, the gains in working strength and in situation control, as to direction of cut, meaning increased safety and speed in working situations with bigger sticks, IMHO start to make FW bars a must somewhare around the 5 cube (minus a few cc) range.

I love that external filter. BRAVE! idea! and BRAVO! Only one criticism, make it much bigger. While working, you just brush off the cover, now functioning as the air filter itself!, with your glove when you pick up the saw, while you are working. Leave the same low pressure drop, e.g. large surface area micro filter on the carb, e.g. on the "inside," but consider that the inside filter is not the *Working air filter. Then put the *Real filter on the dagg blammed outside of the saw, right where it belongs, and make it smooth. Right on! Another innovation from Dolmar!-- just carry that design thought a little further--produce a new optional plastic cover, with bigger openings with larger detachable "working filters" .. Darn! You won't have to pull a cover anymore (and expose the throat etc. and carry brushes etc.) to clean a filter. You just --brush the filter off with your glove. The more expensive inner filters would last longer between cleanings and replacements.

What a great idea!

Last edited:
Makita specs on

the Bailey's website for the DCS7901 are 5.8 bhp vs. the 6.4 on the Dolmar website. I saw the same specs on another website selling Makita saws.

Eric

Looking the Dolmars parts list it seems for mee that PS 6400, 7300 and 7900 are all closed port design.

Sorry for the silence, 6400 is open 7300 and 7900 are closed.

Dont know where Baileys is getting their information from. Makita and Dolmar are the same. Not sure where you are getting 6.4 from the Dolmar website. It say 6.3bhp when i pull up the technical data on www.dolmarusa.com

I looked at the specs on Baileys website and what they are closer to the 7300 than the 7900. Not real sure where they got that data from.

You did but I wanted to speak up as I being accused of being silent. No reason for the silence as you answered the question.

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr said:
Sorry for the silence, 6400 is open 7300 and 7900 are closed.

Dont know where Baileys is getting their information from. Makita and Dolmar are the same. Not sure where you are getting 6.4 from the Dolmar website. It say 6.3bhp when i pull up the technical data on www.dolmarusa.com
I think Dolmars US website is slightly misleading, as it list the hp numbers listed elsewere as they were bhp, without recalculating the numbers.
6.3 bhp will usually translate into 6.4 hp.

Some time ago I read somewhere that the 7300 engine is a 8 channel design, vs. 4 channel in the 7900.
Is there any truth is that?

Last edited:
Molecule said:
If Dolmar is using closed port cylinders and Makita open, as per the Dolmar 115 v the Makita 520, that might account for the difference between the blue to orange bhps.
Makita 5200 equals Dolmar 115, and is a closed port design.

Makita 520 equals Dolmar 111, and is a open port design.

The 540 is probably an EPA special, with slightly more cc, but less power output than the 111/520.

TonyM said:
Makita has had several errors in their literature. The horsepower ratings of the Makita and Dolmar versions are identical. Use the Dolmar numbers, those are accurate.
The Dolmar numbers are probably accurate regarding listed kW output, but it seems like they have added a "b" to the hp ratings as an afterthought, making it read bHP, without recalculating the numbers. :umpkin:

Last edited:
Dolmar_Tech_Mgr said:
.... Dont know where Baileys is getting their information from. Makita and Dolmar are the same. ........
Probably from the Makita website and/or user manual.
The mistaken numbers has been published both places. :umpkin:

Are the Dolmar saws using nikosil (not sure of spelling) cylinders?
What is the advantage over chrome like Red Max & Shindaiwa uses?
Doesn't chrome make for a longer lasting engine? - Eric

I'm sure someone that knows a lot more about it than me will chime in but nikasil is many times harder and retains oil better than chrome. It seems most european saw makers (husky, stihl, dolmar) now use nikasil where as ones from the east (shindaiwa, redmax, echo) still use chrome. Probably more costly/scarce to the japanese market?

Back