Dolmar 7910 and makita 6800i MM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can any of you guys tell me if either of these two saws benefit in stock form with a muffler mod?

Yes but the 7910 with the chamber inside has me curious to is there any gains.

Yes but I don't really want to split the muffler and remove the chamber so what do you think would be the best way to mod it?

There is a lip in the exhaust port. If I take the chamber out of the muffler will the lip in the port stay put? Is it part of the casting?

No
Pry open one side and the bottom.
I can do one pretty quick now that I've done a few.

I actually like the 7910 better with the SLR in it.... It feels like it pulls better when you really load it. I ran a customers mm 7910 back to back with my stock one....20" 404 on both.... SLR seemed to hold better rpm in long cuts but the mm one had it on smaller logs
Different subject but what advantages are there to running a 404 and doe's the 7910 like it? I have never personally run anything with a 404. I have been considering trying.063 gauge due to what I am told is better oiling characteristics. I have always run 3/8 .050 on everything from my 39cc 401 to my 288. Although I recently received one of Oregon's new speed cut setups for my EA5000 I have yet to try it, but that's as close as I have come to trying new stuff, sort of set in my ways...

Different subject but what advantages are there to running a 404 and doe's the 7910 like it? I have never personally run anything with a 404. I have been considering trying.063 gauge due to what I am told is better oiling characteristics. I have always run 3/8 .050 on everything from my 39cc 401 to my 288. Although I recently received one of Oregon's new speed cut setups for my EA5000 I have yet to try it, but that's as close as I have come to trying new stuff, sort of set in my ways...

the better oiling of 063 isnt worth the switch IMHO

7910 does OK with 404, my big reason for running it is that it stays sharp for what seems like forever. there is almost no chain stretch so retightening the chain is almost nonexistent between sharpenings. It is also king of noodling.

I actually tried it just because a couple customers run it and you couldnt pay them enough money to switch to 3/8 and my firewood processor runs 404 and i have had such good luck with it and saw the benefits on it, decided to give it a try on my saws and havent been disappointed.

The original 7900 did not benefit much from a MM. I don't personally see the 7910 SLR muffler benefiting the saws performance in any way, I would gut it right away!

.404 has it's place, but I personally don't have much use for it, the advantages simply do not outweigh the disadvantages IMHO. A 7900 will never pull a long bar with .404 to take advantage of the oiling, and 3/8 is still available in .058 and .063 last I checked. Most importantly .404 will be hard on a 7900 bearings and clutch. I actually ran full comp 3/8 on my old 084 and it cut very well.

I've pried apart several stihl 361 mufflers in the last couple weeks. I've found the little tool you use to open a paint can works really really well if you grind the point like a screwdriver. You can kind of roll the paint can opener and it pries up the crimp really well.... not sure how well it would work on a 7910 tho..

Latest posts

Back