Dolmar Clutch Removal Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks to Dolmar Tech Manager I got the part number for the official Dolmar clutch removal tool. Went to my favorite Amish Dolmar dealer and had him order it.

Turns out the distributer didn't have the number in the system. Someone up the line had to contact the Fatherland to get it straightend out. So instead I went to the local Makita repair facility and ordered the official Makita clutch removal tool. Boy is this thing massive. Feels like it weighs 5 pounds. Won't be bending the lugs on this one.

It is not quite up to the fine German craftsmanship I have grown accustom to though. The upside is that it also matches the color of my Makita 6401 and 9000.

Also if you are working in a high crime area this thing doubles as a lethal self defense weapon.

For my first use I took the clutch off the 6401. I wanted to live on the wild side so I used a metal piton stop. Very exciting.

All I can say is it certainly is blue.

Im in the process of making a universal clutch spider/flywheel puller and wonder if you would mind taking a measurement for me.

Could you measure from the front of one contact point to the front of the next contact point for me?

Would you mind my asking you what it cost you?

Thanks.

That's crazy stuff.

It kind of looks like maybe they've joined an effort to recycle old men's bicycles. Not bicycles that used to belong to old men, but bicycles that are old and used to belong to men.

You know that top bar that runs from underneath the seat forward to that cylindrical piece of metal that you stick the handlebars down into and the front wheel forks come out the bottom of it? That's what that looks like to me. They just cut a piece off of an old bicycle.

It does look lethal.

Just kidding guys,

I actually made it out of black pipe pieces I had laying around. The handle is .75" ID black pipe. The bottom piece is 1.375" ID black pipe. I drilled a 1" hole through both sides of the big piece to slip the handle through. Then I welded it up. I used Ford tractor blue paint I had setting around which matches the Makita color pretty good.

I really wanted an excuse to use my mig welder for some practice and needed the tool (since the Dealer said Dolmar wanted to charge something like $30 for theirs, once they straightened out the problem I mentioned about it not being in their system.)

I held the bottom piece up to the clutch and marked where the lugs needed to be and then cut out in between with a 3.5" air cutoff tool. I'm not sure if these measurement would match up with non-dolmar ckutches.

It is very heavy and works really well. Based on the pipe diameter and that the lugs are 120 degrees apart one can calculate any dimensions needed.

Nice organised looking work bench, but why do you need a "Tools & Farts" tray?

Big Woody said:
Just kidding guys,

The bottom piece is 1.375" ID black pipe. Based on the pipe diameter and that the lugs are 120 degrees apart one can calculate any dimensions needed.

Excellent, Thanks.

Are you using gas or flux core wire. Either way, a little more dwell time during your welds and you wont need to grind. Mabye some more heat also.

I like it much more knowing you made it rather than purchased it.:cheers:

The thing that confuses me is why you were told the part number is not in their system as it has been available for some time.

Yes it is somewhat confusing. The dealer said he called to order it and the number either didn't come up or there was some other problem and they had to call further up the ladder (maybe overseas) to get it straightened out. Apparently they did get it figured out but since it was a little pricey ($30 ?)he didn't order it as he assumed it was more than I wanted to pay.

But you never know if the dealer is always telling you the truth. He could be making up some excuse because he didn't want to, or forgot to order it.

You never know with complete certainty what the true story is.

After waiting 3 weeks from the time I asked him to get it until I drove by the dealer again (100 miles away), and then finding that out, I said forget it and I just made one.

He showed me one of his jonsered clutch removal tools that was basically a glorified sparkplug wrench with some lugs. The lugs were slightly bent since it was cheap metal. That cheapo jonsered tool was the basis for my improved design.

I do appreciate your help with the number though.

It is interesting that on the Makita 9000 the 19mm nut is there but not on the smaller saws.

Thanks

Big Woody said:
Just kidding guys,

Well, you got me. But what do I know about Dolmar tools?

You know what would be easier than all that welding? Get you an old man's bicycle. Not a bicycle that used to belong to an old man, but ...

I don't own a Dolmar but Andyshine 77 I have to say that I really like that cut socket. That is really nice.

So let me ask this. How does the official Dolmar tool compare? Surely it's a socket that fits on a wrench. Otherwise, how could you measure the torque?

7900 series saw clutch tool

here is a couple pics of the 7900 series clutch tool in stock if anyone needs one.
Scott

I saw a socket post like that previously. Maybe it was yours. I just couldn't bare to cut up an exquisite Harbor Freight socket like that.

The real tool looks good. I wish the dealer could have got it for me. How much do you sell them for cuttinscott? Just curious.

Big Woody said:
The real tool looks good. I wish the dealer could have got it for me. How much do you sell them for cuttinscott? Just curious.

$39.00 plus S&H

Scott

Last edited:
There isnt a clutch on this earth that could stay on with that behemoth on it. what is that 24" of pipe for leverage? it looks great, and quite tough to break, plus it would double as a teaching tool if someone attempted to break into your shop. you teachin em what it feels like upside their head that is. :greenchainsaw:

Its nice, its blue, and it worked, :clap: , mother was the necessity of inventions! Hey, for 30+$ I'd wreck an old plug socket just 'cause, well, it gotta be done! Kudos!

Hey y'all, hows that for a new thread? 'Best tool you have built because you had to get it done or are too cheap!' It could go along side of the 'Quick fix because they don't make it anymore' thread, nm, I go now.
:givebeer: & :chainsaw:

revise old threads whenever appropriate eh

So, I can't find the socket that I started hacking on a few years back, and then now i'm back on the 7900 (with appropriate work for that brute and I can't stand or afford the oil constantly pukes on my boots-because i haven't fixed the leak with the part OUR Makita USA rep sent me years ago when i inquired herein).

I resumed making a clutch removal tool today and was going to use pipe-just as OP did here, but the pipe cutter left the shop early today, so i scrounged around the name-brand helpful hardware get-yo-red-vested-butt-away-from-me(nicely) store. And as nipples have all the strength reduced by threads, and they don't cut no pipes at the "big" hardware/supply house, i chose a plug, which has more meat under the threads and a big square knot to hang a crescent onto.

Didn't work. MUST be the lack of blue paint. That and it got late and I'll giver a go again tomorrow. Or I'm going to get the local s/e hack to unwind the dang thing. I remember now why the cut socket was a better idea--air impact drive capability. But this one is up on the clutch parts moving them, not down on the fixed part--but there's not enough shaft clearance on the one-inch plug w/o boring--which I will try in the morning. After looking back through my boxes for the modified bit from years past.

I find it awkward to hold a bar-less saw. HOW yall do that Scott? Use a bar-stub?

That's what Imina do--when I find a junkyard bar to fit up. Cut it off front and back, but leave enough for the vise and that's it.

Back