Clutch Removal Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP56

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know some use special tools to remove & install the chainsaw clutches, while other like to take a steel or brass punch & hammer to them, or a screwdriver & hammer or anything else they can get to grab the clutch with.

I have a "Craftsman" Turd, Model # CMXGSAMY421S, which is actually made by MTD as Model # 41AY42S793, aka Chinese Junk!
I had no problem removing the clutch to work on an oil pump problem, but when replacing the clutch, it cracked, so I ordered 2 for replacement. I tried looking around for a clutch removal tool by craftsman or MTD or by anyone else that would fit the MTD clutch, with no luck, then came across a clutch removal tool for sale that is for an Echo clutch. I then looked for a pic of an Echo clutch for comparison, and looked at the 2 side by side. While very similar looking there does appear to be a slight difference, so here is my question: Does anyone know for sure from working on either one of these saws, if the Echo clutch wrench would work on the MTD clutch, and if not, have an opinion as to whether or not it would be worth getting one to try it? Also found a Chinese cheapo Haishine(same co that made the crappy oil pump for the saw) 14mm Clutch/Flywheel removal tool for Husq., Stihl, & Echo.

I know many wouldn't bother, but the clutch is made so dam flimsy with crap steel, that they seem to break in the same spot & I also know from searching around, that it is a common problem, and it appears that a clutch removal wrench just might spread the tightening force out around the clutch more equally then smacking any point around the clutch with a punch & hammer or using some type of pliers on it.

Echo Tool MTD Clutch Echo Clutch Haishine Tool
Echo Clutch Tool.jpg71q+HRkpHQL._SL1000_.jpgEcho Clutch 415gCAzpwbL._AC_.jpg610tdyoDJtL._AC_SL1150_ Clutch tool.jpg

Cheap Chinese twofer! I am only interested in finding a clutch tool not a piston stop. I wonder though, which would break first, the clutch tool, the piston stop, or the top of the piston if I anyone would be stupid enough to use the stop.

Cheap Chinese twofer! I am only interested in finding a clutch tool not a piston stop. I wonder though, which would break first, the clutch tool, the piston stop, or the top of the piston if I anyone would be stupid enough to use the stop.
I don't think you will get anyone here to fess up!!

Back