Dolmar fans!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In trying to keep the thread somewhat on topic, I took a nice drive deep into the sticks to a Dolmar dealer to checkout the 7900 today, none in stock but the guy quoted me $570 PHO. I think this is a good price, but thought I'd ask you guys what you think, so is it a good price?

TS,

Why would you drive deep into the sticks to a dealer searching for a saw without knowing what price is good?

Either take a quick drive back into the sticks to redeem your bargain saw or your CAD credentials will be stripped forthwith.

CAD administrator general,

ole joat

TS,

Why would you drive deep into the sticks to a dealer searching for a saw without knowing what price is good?

Either take a quick drive back into the sticks to redeem your bargain saw or your CAD credentials will be stripped forthwith.

CAD administrator general,

ole joat

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: had the 435 b4 AS but since I have bought a 365,346xpNE, 372xp and now I'm taking roadtrips to find more!!!! All b4 buying a single present for friends and fam., I'm callin' your bluff sir:rant::p

btw I left the wallet home on purpose:help:

Last edited:
Close call here folks, but we're OK

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: had the 435 b4 AS but since I have bought a 365,346xpNE, 372xp and now I'm taking roadtrips to find more!!!! All b4 buying a single present for friends and fam., I'm callin' your bluff sir:rant::p

btw I left the wallet home on purpose:help:

TS,

OK. Good story. You may keep your shiney CAD badge, but you're on supervised probation for a period of one month, or until you buy a new saw. No presents and looking for saws, eh? Nice. :yourock:

ole joat

No prob. you earned it:clap: I know what you mean about the weight, I watched a show a few years back that took a Lexus coupe with a iron block six and swapped in an aluminum V-8 and upgraded the drivetrain and the car actually LOST weight:dizzy: more power + less weight = good fun:D

and getting back OT, many years ago when I'd just started racing a mate suggested I do a club meeting to get a few more race miles under my belt.
Only two Formula Fords had entered for the meeting, so they combined us with Marque Sports cars, Sports Cars, Clubmans, etc to field a full grid.
I qualified on pole, but the car next to me was an MG Midget on slicks, big front air dam, rear wing and a 5 litre Rover V8 shoehorned in, and IIRC it was running Motec injection.

We do standing starts in circuit racing here, and the Midget driver came up to me in the pits and suggested I be a little careful at the start as he'd run all over me going into turn 1 and he may not see me, seeing as an FF is so little, only has 110HP and I was on 'P' plates (provisional race licence).
The lights went green and they didn't see me till I started to lap the field.......
It was the difference between a real race car and a converted sedan, and even though I only had 110HP I could get all that power/torque to the track with minimal wheel spin, and the car fully fuelled with the lard arse driver only weighed 500kg/1100lb.
The Midget would have had an impressive power to weight ratio, there's bugger all to those little English sports cars, but you have to get the grunt to the bitumen too.

Back around '91 at the late, lamented Amaroo Park race track on the North West outskirts of Sydney they held a knock out drag race at lunch time during a major meeting for a bit of fun, but only over 200m.
It was open to all categories and a bloke called Troy Dunstan in his Formula Ford beat all comers up to the final, including 650HP Sports Sedans.
The only car that beat him was Colin Bond in his RS500 Sierra Cosworth Group A race car, with the boost turned right up.
At the time the RS500 was dominating International Touring car racing and Bondy's was one of the quicker ones.

We now resume your scheduled programming after the middle aged has been has had his reminiscence session :greenchainsaw:

In trying to keep the thread somewhat on topic, I took a nice drive deep into the sticks to a Dolmar dealer to checkout the 7900 today, none in stock but the guy quoted me $570 PHO. I think this is a good price, but thought I'd ask you guys what you think, so is it a good price?

Yeah,,
The guy I deal with gave me the "Good Guy" price of $720 with a 24" bar and two chains.

You guys are out in the weeds.

The mid '70s through mid '80s had sorry excuses for muscle, in cars.

But I don't think the same can be said of the saws built in that time frame.

Last edited:
You guys are out in the weeds.

The mid '70s through mid '80s had sorry excuses for muscle, in cars.

But I don't think the same can be said of the saws built in that time frame.

Here's proof.
Stock McCulloch Pro 81, over 30 years old and still hard to beat.

TommySaw,
You'd better jump on that $570 price. My dealer priced them at $650 if I'd buy 2 and I jumped on that.

Andy

and getting back OT, many years ago when I'd just started racing a mate suggested I do a club meeting to get a few more race miles under my belt.
Only two Formula Fords had entered for the meeting, so they combined us with Marque Sports cars, Sports Cars, Clubmans, etc to field a full grid.
I qualified on pole, but the car next to me was an MG Midget on slicks, big front air dam, rear wing and a 5 litre Rover V8 shoehorned in, and IIRC it was running Motec injection.

We do standing starts in circuit racing here, and the Midget driver came up to me in the pits and suggested I be a little careful at the start as he'd run all over me going into turn 1 and he may not see me, seeing as an FF is so little, only has 110HP and I was on 'P' plates (provisional race licence).
The lights went green and they didn't see me till I started to lap the field.......
It was the difference between a real race car and a converted sedan, and even though I only had 110HP I could get all that power/torque to the track with minimal wheel spin, and the car fully fuelled with the lard arse driver only weighed 500kg/1100lb.
The Midget would have had an impressive power to weight ratio, there's bugger all to those little English sports cars, but you have to get the grunt to the bitumen too.

Back around '91 at the late, lamented Amaroo Park race track on the North West outskirts of Sydney they held a knock out drag race at lunch time during a major meeting for a bit of fun, but only over 200m.
It was open to all categories and a bloke called Troy Dunstan in his Formula Ford beat all comers up to the final, including 650HP Sports Sedans.
The only car that beat him was Colin Bond in his RS500 Sierra Cosworth Group A race car, with the boost turned right up.
At the time the RS500 was dominating International Touring car racing and Bondy's was one of the quicker ones.

We now resume your scheduled programming after the middle aged has been has had his reminiscence session :greenchainsaw:

cool story, I like when bigshots get whooped on alittle, couple years back at the local strip they had a historic car show with $5 passes down the 1/8 mile and some guy with a hemi 'cuda was whoopin' on all the cars on the lot, he was tryin' to say it was stock but nobody was buyin' not even the mopar guys. So he was just killin' everything until a fire engine red fairlane 500 came up and flatout left his a$$ at the line and then he whined that the car wasn't stock. Bottom line is there's always something better out there.

I also like when someone takes a great handling car and gives it ballsy engine to go with it and then kicks ass, like that guy who first decided to put a 289 into an A/C roadster:cheers:
:arg:

cool story, I like when bigshots get whooped on alittle, couple years back at the local strip they had a historic car show with $5 passes down the 1/8 mile and some guy with a hemi 'cuda was whoopin' on all the cars on the lot, he was tryin' to say it was stock but nobody was buyin' not even the mopar guys. So he was just killin' everything until a fire engine red fairlane 500 came up and flatout left his a$$ at the line and then he whined that the car wasn't stock. Bottom line is there's always something better out there.

I also like when someone takes a great handling car and gives it ballsy engine to go with it and then kicks ass, like that guy who first decided to put a 289 into an A/C roadster:cheers:
:arg:

Yup I love a V8 in a small sports car, hence why I built mine. Here I think this is my very first race, you can see by the lack of traction I got plenty of power and not sticky enough tires, it was a little nosier then as well.

Enjoy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXataiVF-QU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXataiVF-QU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Will be buying my first Dolmar (my first higher end saw). Have heard and read that they need to be adjusted for more power and longevity, any thoughts from the Dolmar fans?

p.s.: going to buy a ps5100s in January from a dealer five miles away

Yup I love a V8 in a small sports car, hence why I built mine. Here I think this is my very first race, you can see by the lack of traction I got plenty of power and not sticky enough tires, it was a little nosier then as well.

Enjoy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXataiVF-QU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXataiVF-QU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I bet you had a $hit eatin' grin all the way around the track:cheers:

After quite a while now owning the 7900 and cutting a good bit of wood with it, I can honestly say IT ROCKS !!! At first, I had a little problem with the correct starting procedure, flooding it most every time. Now, after the first burble on choke, I push it in, and it starts first pull almost every time, not to mention that the big engine is really easy to start, which surprised me a little. I originally ordered it with a 28" bar for cutting down large pecan trees when I thin my orchards, but, as you all know, that size bar is not real good for bucking up logs, it's just too ungainly and long. I recently bought a 20" bar/chain combo from Bailey's, and the saw practically screams through wood. I'm loving it so far, but I worry about the crappy dealer network.

The Dolmar is similar to my motorcycle, a Moto Guzzi, it's a good machine with little dealer support. I guess I'll have to DIY when it comes to repairs, just like I do with the bike:)

Bump ! :)

My Dolmars:

- Sachs-Dolmar 285 - electric 1300W , 14" bar , 3/8" Low Profile pitch , 0.050 gauge - been bought in the late 80's by my dad , R.I.P. plastic housing around the guide bar bolt melted due to heat build up from excessive firewood cutting and user's ignorance and stupidity :oops: - this was the first saw I ever used

- Sachs-Dolmar 105 - top handle , 2-stroke , 40cc , 1.7KW , 14" bar , 3/8" Low Profile pitch , 0.050 gauge - been bought in the late 80's by my dad , has been equally mistreated as the Sachs-Dolmar 285 but she survived the tortures , behaved moody the past few Years , simply refused to star up the other day - will have to give her a full tune up

- Dolmar PS6400 - Professional saw , 2-stroke , 64cc , 3.5KW , 20" bar , 3/8" pitch , 0.058 gauge - bought her sparkling new in 2006. , got highly addicted to running her in strong wood , not a single issue with her - just love this beauty :heart:

- Dolmar PS7900 - Professional saw , 2-stroke , 79cc , 4.6KW , 20" bar , 3/8" pitch , 0.058 gauge - bought her USED about a month ago , is supposed to have low hours (the clutch drum, rim sprocket and exhaust outlet seem to confirm that) , previous owner messed around the carburetor thus it requires re-tuning to unfold the saws true power - don't even need this saw , but .....I wanted MORE..... :chainsaw:

I admit , I never ran anything else then Dolmars and all been considered I don't regret it - they are tough saws all around!

I concur with the statement of others that Dolmar has a bad dealership and advertising network making them quite unknown , even unpopular.
Honestly , I haven't seen Dolmar chainsaws quite a while back in any of our stores that feature power tools of any kind! :eek:

In short:
Am I a Dolmar fan?
What do You think? ;)

Back