Dolmar PS 420 or PS 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensor419

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the Dolmar 420 ($275) or the 460 ($299). Is the 460 worth $24 more?

The PS420 is a great little saw... looked at getting one as well before deciding on the PS510, the 460's big brother... its just a few dollars more. Power wise, the 420 produces 2.0kW, the 460 2.2 and the 510 2.4. I can't speak about the 420 or 460, but my 510 has great torque. The Dolmars have a little extra weight compared to offerings from Stihl and Husqvarna but I find them to be solid, reliable and well performing machines. The 420 has an "easy start" feature so even a child or old lady can fire it up, but having said that I have never, ever had any trouble with my 510 or 340 starting right up. Yes, they work that good. :msp_smile: I'd say go with whichever one feels best in your hands as $24 is neither here nor there. Take care of it and it will last you a good long time. :msp_smile:

I love my 420. Installed a 16" .325 bar/chain on it and she runs like a top. It is getting more powerful w/ every tank. If you upgrade to the 460 then you may as well get a 510 since you have the extra weight anyway.

Make sure to come back and lets us know what you decided on. Its always good to get another educated opinion.

I love my 420. Installed a 16" .325 bar/chain on it and she runs like a top. It is getting more powerful w/ every tank. If you upgrade to the 460 then you may as well get a 510 since you have the extra weight anyway.

What bar and chain did the 420 come with, I find the nk 3/8 6 tooth cuts a lot faster and stays sharper longer than a .325 7 tooth chiesel on 40 to 45 cc saws. Steve

The 460 is the little brother to the 510 and weighs just as much. So buy the 510 or even the 5105 which weighs a lot less than either of the others with a lot more power.

The 420 is the big brother to the 350 and is the same weight and in the same frame. So the 420 is a little hot rod

The 460 has a heavy alu case, and is a dud regarding power to weight - much too heavy for both the cc and power.

The 420 has a mag case, and is better in that regard - but power to weight still is lacking a bit.

The cat mufflers on the newer US saws surely doesn't help either.......

The 460 has a heavy alu case, and is a dud regarding power to weight - much too heavy for both the cc and power.

The 420 has a mag case, and is better in that regard - but power to weight still is lacking a bit.

The cat mufflers on the newer US saws surely doesn't help either.......

sawtroll is just jealous,,, his poulan wild things are over weight and way under powered too:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The cat version of the mufflers on a Dolmar feel like they weigh twice as much and the non cat muffler.

The 460... is a dud regarding power to weight - much too heavy for both the cc and power.

The 420... power to weight still is lacking a bit.

You're making too much of an issue regarding "power to weight". To someone who uses the saw all day long and several days a week it makes a difference. To the rest of us who want a quality tool with enough power its a minor issue. Unless of course someone is looking for a lightweight saw. More important is that is does the job while not breaking either our backs or our bank accounts. Lets not forget that just a few years ago even the top of the line pro saws had much worse power to weight ratios. I think that men are still men and for the most part can handle a 1 pound or so difference. :cheers:

The cat version of the mufflers on a Dolmar feel like they weigh twice as much and the non cat muffler.

At least heavier, but as usual they "forgot" to change the specs......

On the flip side, at least some of those cats are easy to do away with.

You're making too much of an issue regarding "power to weight". To someone who uses the saw all day long and several days a week it makes a difference. To the rest of us who want a quality tool with enough power its a minor issue. Unless of course someone is looking for a lightweight saw. More important is that is does the job while not breaking either our backs or our bank accounts. Lets not forget that just a few years ago even the top of the line pro saws had much worse power to weight ratios. I think that men are still men and for the most part can handle a 1 pound or so difference. :cheers:

I partly agree with that - but you have to go decades back, not just a few years! :cheers:

Regarding the 460, it is worse....

Back