Dolmar PS-5100s Teardown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Want to know what the Dolmar PS-5100s chainsaw looks like inside?

Here is a link to Power Equipment Trade magazine's teardown & review of the Dolmar PS-5100s Chainsaw.

http://www.poweret.com/vserver/hb/display.cfm?ArticleKey=5753

attachment.php

Good article. I picked it up from a buddy last weak. Tore one down about a month ago over at another buddies. Was like brand new, guy loaned it out, came back after straight gas had been run thru it.

-Steve

Nice article, but one comment in it is misleading. It states that side bar adjustment mechanisms are a nice idea that has appeared in recent years. Homelite used a side bar adjuster on the 350/360, 650/750 over 30 years ago.

Dan

stihltech said:
:confused: BUT, what does the 4 stroke saw look like inside.

Yes, It will be interesting.. Wet sump? scavanged sump with pressure feed? or god forbid, a knock of off the Stihl 4-mix.

Buy all the saws you need for the next 40 years, mothball them and break them out one by one as needed.

Lakeside53 said:
Yes, It will be interesting.. Wet sump? scavanged sump with pressure feed? or god forbid, a knock of off the Stihl 4-mix.

Buy all the saws you need for the next 40 years, mothball them and break them out one by one as needed.

Shoot Lake the 4 stroke saw was made several years ago by you know who. The story they gave us at Va Beach is it was handed out to the guys over in Germany for try outs. The feed back from the field was cuts great but doesn't sound or run like a chain saw so it was put on hold. They also got a fuel injected saw and has been tried out as well. Problem with that thing is cost. I'm with you, stock up for saws are going to be changing in years to come.......

I see the MSRP went up again. The best part about this saw was the appealing price...It ain't worth 450 in my eyes.

Freakingstang said:
I see the MSRP went up again. The best part about this saw was the appealing price...It ain't worth 450 in my eyes.

I figure they raised it because Stihl still gets $450 for their 18 year old 026 in MS260 plastic, and $490 for the "pro" version. For some reason, MS260 sales have been increasing this year over last.

THALL10326 said:
Shoot Lake the 4 stroke saw was made several years ago by you know who. The story they gave us at Va Beach is it was handed out to the guys over in Germany for try outs. The feed back from the field was cuts great but doesn't sound or run like a chain saw so it was put on hold. They also got a fuel injected saw and has been tried out as well. Problem with that thing is cost. I'm with you, stock up for saws are going to be changing in years to come.......

I hear they've been trying a later version up here in the PNW.. Computer controlled direct injection. The days of a quick piston/cylinder service job may be over come 2009...

The part that bugs me is the only people that read Power and Equipment Trade are the people that pretty much know about Dolmar in the first place. Put that big ad in Popular Mechanics, Outdoor Life or any other publication that John Q reads. Preaching to the choir boys.

Lakeside53 said:
I hear they've been trying a later version up here in the PNW.. Computer controlled direct injection. The days of a quick piston/cylinder service job may be over come 2009...

Which means if I decide on a wrap handle 361 I got a friend in Washington,hmmmmmmm. It does look like in time things are going to get much more complicated and precise in repair. I can't wait to see what Stihl charges for test tools on computor comtrolled systems, ouchhhhhhhhhhhh.

Marco said:
The part that bugs me is the only people that read Power and Equipment Trade are the people that pretty much know about Dolmar in the first place. Put that big ad in Popular Mechanics, Outdoor Life or any other publication that John Q reads. Preaching to the choir boys.

Not so sure about that Marco. Dolmar has been creating alot of stir lately in their products. True they don't spend a fortune like Stihl and Husky in advertising but the word is getting around. I've had several customers lately bringing up the Dolmar name. Before I hardly ever had any customer mention them at all. I like the idea there is good choice of brands out there for everyone. Makes it more fun trying to sell what you sell. I recently sold a 361Stihl to a man that has a old, but in great shape, Dolmar. Nothing like some freindly competiton................

Neat article! I bought my 5100 in Feb. and haven't got to use it much, maybe 3 hours run time. But we got hit by a Tornado on Thurs and I have spent the last 4 days attached permanently to the thing. It really is a great saw, starts every time on 2 pull when cold and 1st. pull when warmed up.

It runs like a raped ape and when it hits that 14,500 rpm it sounds SO sweet! Idles down to a nice little rumble and I swear it could sit there all day idling and not load up. What a pleasure to use such a quality saw for a so overwhelming task. I got mine in Feb. for $400 out the door with and extra full chisel chain and case of oil. No regrets at all, would buy another in a heart beat!

Fastcast said:
Andrews Saw Shop....Canton, Ohio

I was there last week. He had a good selection of saws, but did not have any 5100's on the shelf. He said they didn't sell many of them. His prices were high, and I'm still waiting on a call back on price for some parts.... I've had to call him three times already "to remind him". Looks like I will continue to get all of my Dolmar parts through Precision Edge Power Equipment in willard. It is a much father drive (1+ hour), but at least I know that I will be given service when I need it.

-Steve

Freak, yea Greg "Andrew" does seem to be forgetful but a good guy I do believe. He didn't have a 5100s when I was there either but let me try out the other Dolmars 540 etc. He will deal though if you ask. I got him down to $400 on the 5100s and he ordered it for me and had it there in two days. Just ask for a better deal, worst he can say is no.

BTW......He told me the same thing, that he hasn't sold too many 5100s....Well maybe he would sell more if he stocked them:laugh:

Latest posts

Back