Dolmar ps-540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAN420

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a new saw this year. Was planning on a Stihl or Husquavana until I priced them out - expensive. One of our local stores sells Dolmar and has a sale on the PS-540. Looks like a pretty solid saw, although everything I've read about mid-size Dolmar saws refers to the ps-5100. The 5100 runs at a higher RPM but is heavier. It seems as though the 540 is an older saw but might be a tougher saw than the 5100. I'm planning on cutting approx 10 cords of maple/oak per year mainly during the winter months for heating purposes. I'd like to buy a saw that will last, start easilly and perform properly.
Any advice would be great.

Last edited:
Well, if your local shop is running a sale, and depending on the price of course, I would say go for it! The 5100S can be had for about $375-410 depending on your dealer and is a fantastic saw. It has modern anti-vibe, incredible power...you've read it all, I'm sure. The 540 is slightly bigger than the 5100 - 3.3 cubic inches, rather than 3.1. The 540 will have a broad power band / strong torque, but not near the revs or HP of the 5100S. It would be a good saw for firewood.

If it is your only saw, you will find that the Dolmar 5100S, Stihl 361 or Husky 357XP are all favorites here. Price, dealer network, and parts availability are king. You be the judge and buy what fits your hands, budget, and the wood you are cutting.

Welcome!

Josh

Buy the 5100

and don't look back.It is a better built saw, therefore going to be a bit heavier..
I have ran one of the 5100s and it is as smooth as any motorized tool you will ever hold.

Will the PS-540 last? I run an old Homelite XL2 that works great I've only ever had to replace the chain, the saw is underpowered for what I'm planning on doing.

If you are worried about underpowered saws, you better get the 5100S - gobs of power. What kind of wood, and what diameters will you be cutting?

He's got the 540 on sale because it is discontinued and he wants rid of it. The 5100 is in its infancy so to speak. 20 years from now it will likely be easier to get 5100 parts than 540 parts. The 540 is a weel built solid saw but the 5100 is a factory hot-rod. Do you want an old luxury car or a sports car?

GMAN420 said:
Will the PS-540 last? I run an old Homelite XL2 that works great I've only ever had to replace the chain, the saw is underpowered for what I'm planning on doing.

What's your definition of lasting? Most saws from proper saw manufacturers - Dolmar, Stihl, Husqvarna/Jonsered, Echo, Efco - will last a long time if you do your part. Run harp chains, good gas and oil, and don't store 'em on the garage floor, and you'll be fine.

The PS540s and the other Dolmars of that generation are durable saws from everything I've heard and the one that I ran a while back seemed to be well built. If their power output is in the range of what you need to accomplish your cutting tasks and the price is right, go for it. It would be a step up from the XL2.

Mainly soft maple, oak and elm, most trees I'll be cutting probably have a 20" diameter or less. The price on the 540 is $350 canadian, probably about $290US. I havn't priced out the 5100 because I've never heard about Dolmar until last week. I'm not so worried about power as reliability. Also, it looks as though the 540 will handle a longer bar than the 5100. Make it easier on the bigger trees.

GMAN420 said:
I'm not so worried about power as reliability. Also, it looks as though the 540 will handle a longer bar than the 5100. Make it easier on the bigger trees.
I'm looking at my book now. I show the 5100S at 3.8bhp compared to the 540 at 3.0bhp. even the new model 510 looks better, imo, at 3.2bhp all 3 saws are recommended for up to a 20" bar

-Ralph

I asked a similar question back in the spring (540 or 5100s.) Unanimously the answer was the 5100s....That's what I bought and have never looked back. Any money saved has long been forgotten about. The 5100 has been everything I could have wanted in a firewood saw and then some. One of my die hard Stihl buddies scuffed when I told him what I bought. Well a few weekends ago he got a chance to see it in action and use it. Needless to say he was very impressed. I said to him "so what do you think"....He said "well I just never heard of Dolmar but it's obviously a very good saw". You would have to know this fellow to realize what it took for him to put his pride in his back pocket and admit he was impressed. I say get the 5100s and forget about it!

the 540 was/is a good saw that is the last of a good series. That price is quite reasonable for a saw that will last many years if taken care of it's a little bit more of a lugger than a runner over the 5100. The 5100 is still everybodies pet, they get used but receive good care,..maybe, older variants of the 540 just get hammered and forgotten until the next time. If money was no object why even bother with the 5100, get a 7900. Heck get a feller buncher, forwarder and a processor. Have to draw a line somewhere.

540 vs. 5100

I have both. The 540 when new was dissapointing from a power perspective. I had it Neigerized and it is a totally different saw. I would still call it a wide powerband saw, not a peaky screamer. It still has the old vibe, and zero prefiltering of air (a peave of mine), and the front chain tightener. But it has never let me down,,, ever.

I only have about 10 mins on my 5100, will put some real time on it tomorrow. But can tell already that it is smooooth. Obviously it is too early to talk power, but I don't think at this point it is as strong as my modded 540. But it is definitely stronger than a stock 540. The ergos are great. I got it for close to what most pay for a 510.

I own a 540 and it is a good solid saw. Not the best at anything and not the worst. It has never given me any trouble and always preformed well. I would recommend a 3/8 chain on an 18" bar. I would also recommend buying a spare air filter for it. The air filter is one of it's weak points as it needs cleaned often. For the money you are talking about it is a good, reliable, and easy to use saw.

I had to replace the anti-vibe mounts on my 520 as they basically fell apart. I was told that it was caused by U.S gas. They were replaced with mounts from a 540 and have held up just fine.

The air filter, mounts, fuel filter, rim and spark plug are the only things that I have had to replace on those saw engines.

Your price is good since a good clean 540 seems to fetch around $200.00 around here.

540 vs 5100 2

After putting some miles on the 5100 today, I can say that it would be worth the extra money. Very smooth, more torque than my modded 540 and a wider powerband, maybe more rpms in the wood too. It also kept getting stronger the more I ran it. After a few more tanks, I will probably be one of those ppl on this site that constantly rave about the 5100. There is no comparison between it and a stock 540 in ergo or power.

DolmarTechMgr, if you read this,,,, tell the engrs they did a great job. Very nice saw.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the 5100. After calling a couple dealers in my area I found a demo saw about minutes from my house for about 100$ less than the new price. I'm suprised though, reading other threads that there aren't more Dolmar dealers in the states. We seem to have lots here in Ontario. Hopefully it's a good thing... will find out shortly

GMAN

GMAN420 said:
... The 5100 runs at a higher RPM but is heavier. ...
Probably not much heavier, the older Dolmars weigh quite a bit more than adverticed, more than a pound in some cases . :angry2:

The PS5100 also does weight more than adverticed, but it is not as far off as the older ones, according to the reports I have read.........

Latest posts

Back