Dolmar PS7900 Durability:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odetospaghetti

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased a PS7900 online and it came in the other day. I was really looking forward to it, but then I looked at the underside of the saw. Its mostly plastic...what houses the gas tank and connects to the back handle. Before I send it back, has anyone used one and had it hold up? I afraid I'm going to bust out the plastic under-belly my first time using the saw. Please let me know what experience you have had with the Dolmar PS7900. I have heard good things about them, but now I don't know. Thanks.

I assume you haven't looked at the current pro saws offered by other manufacturers, but they all have very similar construction and materials. Your 7900 will hold up just fine, under normal circumstances. Obviously you wouldn't want to run over it with a truck! I have one customer who has quite a bit of time on one. So far he has bought 3 parts, a gas cap that he broke trying to unscrew it with a screwdriver, the AV spring that mounts between the handlebar and the cylinder, as a result of yanking on a pinched saw, and the clutch drum where it forms the race for the needle bearing, probably from the same yanking event. He told me he is very happy with the saw, and has had less trouble with this saw than any he has ever had, which include Stihl and Shindaiwa. I also know of a couple brothers in northern Michigan who cut a lot of wood and timber. They finally managed to wear out a 7900, but it cut more than most other saws managed.

I have looked at the Husky 385xp. It weights about 2lbs more and has 384.7cc vs. 78.5cc. I don't how it stands up in a working environment comparison, but I'll either keep this saw or go with a Husky 372xp or 385xp. I'll also consider the 575xp, but I haven't heard a lot of feed-back on that saw, except is weights 14.9.bs vs. 13.4lbs for 372xp and has 73.5cc vs. 70.7cc. I'm not going to return the PS7900 yet, but that plastic underneath reminds me of the soft under-belly of a fish. I know plastic has come a long ways. I guess I'm not very good with change. Thanks.

Ode, I was thinking the same thing when I got my Husqvarna 359. I still look at it sometimes and think it looks chintzy. But it has held up and others seem to say the same thing. Stihl is also plastic, though their designs appear a little more robust.

The only thing I recall anyone talking about plastic breaking (on a Husky) was the side cover I think in really cold weather, supposedly from the starter rope being allowed to rewind uncontrolled and slap the saw. I'm sure somebody can give examples of breakage, but I think it is a matter of getting over the fact that a lot of stuff these days is made of plastic, for better or worse.

Thanks all. I can't return a saw, if no one has anything bad to say about it....except to watch the oiler.

Last edited:
the chain tensioner screw on mine is a little weird. you kinda have to pull the bar to give it some help or the tensioner screw locks up. thats the only bad thing i have to say about it. other than that it cuts like a champ.

I love my EHP7900 I use it all the time, the only problem I had with my saw was a leaking oiler. Here is a picture of some small stuff ;) I cut up with my 7900 and a 32"B&C. If you get your saw modify it will run a 36" Bar and chain with ease. Have fun with your new saw your going to love it.

Kennertree
Take your tensioner off the saw and inspect the drive gears, if they look like they are stripped anywhere they are under warranty. If they look O.K. put some good grease on them it should fix it.
Dave

i'll check into that dave, i dont think they are stripped or anything. i'll throw some grease on there and see of that helps. it usually tensions up just fine if i pull on the bar as im turning the tensioner. what kind of grease do you think would be best? something like wd-40 or a heavy grease like bearing grease?

Blowdown1 said:
The only thing I recall anyone talking about plastic breaking (on a Husky) was the side cover I think in really cold weather, supposedly from the starter rope being allowed to rewind uncontrolled and slap the saw. I'm sure somebody can give examples of breakage, but I think it is a matter of getting over the fact that a lot of stuff these days is made of plastic, for better or worse.

I don't want to be a threadjacker here but I've been seeing a number of 3 series Huskies with broken rear handles. Either the far side of the handle, away from the starter, is just missing and the trigger mechanism is exposed or both halves are broken near where the sole of your shoe would be if you put your foot into the handle to start the saw. Most of these saws have looked pretty well used but I saw a new 350, at Sears, where someone had dropped it to the floor from waist high and pretty much exploded the rear handle.
John......

Latest posts

Back