Dolmar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetbros

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Dolmar 5100/5105... and I was wondering does any one know if it is possible to get it with .325/0.050. I asked a local dealer and he said that it was not possible, but looking on DOLMARS webpage it seems like i can get this option. Does anyone know if this is possible? I would like to be able to run my chains that I have for my stihl on the dolmar if it is possible. Thanks for any help.

Number of drive links may not match

Sometimes Stihl and Husky / Dolmar bars use different numbers of drive lengths to achieve the same length.

As to the original question, there is no reason why you can not run .325 / .050 on the 5100. The local Dolmar dealer stocks and displays the 5100 with .325 and 18 inch bar but will put whatever you want on at time of purchase. If the saw at your dealer is set up for 3/8 now the sprocket and bar will need to be changed. This is most likely the reason the dealer says no. He doesn't want to swap out the parts.

Changing out the sprocket and bar is no biggie it you decide to do it yourself. One call to Baileys and you're in business.

Take Care

You can change the drive sprocket to .325 and the bar unless it's a hard nose and run .325 instead of 3/8"s.

I am looking at buying a Dolmar 5100/5105... and I was wondering does any one know if it is possible to get it with .325/0.050. I asked a local dealer and he said that it was not possible, but looking on DOLMARS webpage it seems like i can get this option. Does anyone know if this is possible? I would like to be able to run my chains that I have for my stihl on the dolmar if it is possible. Thanks for any help.

Here's some Dolmar Parts numbers for you.
Bar 18" 0.50 ga .325 nose sprocket 415-045-641
Chain for above (325 / 50) 513-486-072
Spur Sprocke (7 tooth) 181-223-310

You don't have to use the dolmar chain I just included it for your information.
The number of drive links on the chain should be noted on the bar you buy. Links can be added or removed to make it work for you.

Rim Sprocket (7) 181-224-040
Clutch Drum for Rim Sprocket 181-223-101

My PS 510 came with a spur sprocket. I changed to the "rim" sprocket. It is quick and easy to change from one chain to the other with this system. Plus I just like the rim sprocket set up.

Hope this is of some use to you.

I think you would be happier with the 3/8 but all you need is a small mount husky bar and a 4buck rim to go with .325.
The dolmar bar is an oddball d/l count in 3/8ths,other than that I like it.As for using your stihl chain my 18" stihl chain is 66 d/l and the dolmar is 64.In .325 its pretty standard 60-66-72 and so on.

I agree with the above, but still think on the 5105 the 3/8ths set up is the best, and the Stihl RM chain runs smoother but a tad slower than the Stihl RSC chain.

You will really like your new saw, I do mine, but make sure the dealer sets your carb correctly. And for break-in stay under 14,000, like 13,800 with a solid four stroke sound when lifted in the cut. And use Dolmar Synthetic or Stihl Ultra.

In running the Stihl 261 and the 5105 back to back the Dolly is more fun IMO. Enjoy! :D

Here's some Dolmar Parts numbers for you.
Bar 18" 0.50 ga .325 nose sprocket 415-045-641
Chain for above (325 / 50) 513-486-072
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You don't have to use the dolmar chain I just included it for your information.
The number of drive links on the chain should be noted on the bar you buy. Links can be added or removed to make it work for you.

Rim Sprocket (7) 181-224-040
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My PS 510 came with a spur sprocket. I changed to the "rim" sprocket. It is quick and easy to change from one chain to the other with this system. Plus I just like the rim sprocket set up.

Hope this is of some use to you.

One of the differences between the 510 and 5100/05 is they come with a rim/drum setup. The OP will just need a different rim if going that route.

I like 3/8 on my 5100, but it's kinda for simplicity. Keeping only 2 sizes of chain instead of 3.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the information. Maybe I will just try it with 3/8 for starters and change if needed.

THANKS AGAIN.

First thing I did with my 5105 was to drop the Dolmar bar for a standard Oregon with the Husqvarna mount. That way my Dolmar and my 455 Rancher use the same chains. Just need to change the sprocket for a .325

It has the cover on it in this pic, but you get the idea....

024.jpg

Last edited:
I think you would be happier with the 3/8 but all you need is a small mount husky bar and a 4buck rim to go with .325.
The dolmar bar is an oddball d/l count in 3/8ths,other than that I like it.As for using your stihl chain my 18" stihl chain is 66 d/l and the dolmar is 64.In .325 its pretty standard 60-66-72 and so on.

Yea I use an Oregon Power match bar, and the 3/8" X 0.50ga Chain. I included the Dolmar Parts #'s to illustrate the point that it "is available" from Dolmar. (The dealer said it wasn't)

I have a PS 510 that I have been using for a couple of years now and I love it.

ps 510

Yea I use an Oregon Power match bar, and the 3/8" X 0.50ga Chain. I included the Dolmar Parts #'s to illustrate the point that it "is available" from Dolmar. (The dealer said it wasn't)

I have a PS 510 that I have been using for a couple of years now and I love it.

i just bought a 510 and have to say im happy.you said you've had yours a couple of years so my question is have you had any problems and how is it working for you?Just wondering because i want to know i bought a good product.this is my first dolmar.

Back