Dolmar questions (5100S)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
follow up to thread.
P&C on order, will load up picture when I can figure how.

So a couple of follow on questions:
One: I notice the cylinder has a chamfer on the bottom, presumably to aid in getting the piston and ring into it. Is it best to put the piston on the rod and then lower the cylinder onto the saw body, or to put the piston and ring into the cylinder and then try to get it onto the rod?
Two: Do I have to check the ring gap or does it all just slap together?

Additional question: I have tried the search function and read lots of the tuning threads. I appreciate the method, but want to confirm the way to use the tach: I have played with my 192T today and although I can hear a change in the max revs as I play with the mixture I am not sure that I can tell that I have it right without a tach. So at this point I know I have it on the richer side of max revs, but it may be nowhere close to being right. I am assuming that by approaching the stated max revs from the side of being too rich to start with is the safe way of doing it.
Assuming I go and buy a tach, and get the slow speed mixture and idle sorted OK. If I wind out the H carb adjustment to ensure that I am too rich and the saw is just able to run, can I then just wind the H screw in and watch the tach and just keep leaning it until I hit max allowed revs?
thanks

Yes, start on the rich side when tuning. On the 5100 you can keep leaning it out just until it starts to bounce off the rev limiter. The tach will fluctuate when it hits the rev limiter. Then richen it back up so it stays just below the rev limiter. Usuall it will stay steady at about 14200.

Don't worry about the ring, it will be ok.

Back