Dolmer 5100 vs Husky 346 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freakingstang said:
I disagree

For the guy that only wants one saw or can only afford one, the 5100 is a great all around saw with an 18" bar. I find I use my 5100 alot more than I should, just because it is the most powerful 50cc saw I have ever used.

For the guy that wants a bigger saw too, the 5100 is the perfect compliment.

The 7900 and 5100 are an excellant choice of two of the same brand.

A 346 and 372 are also a good choice.

Truth is, they are all great saws and there is too much debating on this site. Pick the saw that feels the best in your hands, has the adequate power for what you need, and has local dealer support.

Sorry I forgot, It all depends if you have the strength and stamina to run a larger saw all day.

manual said:
Sorry I forgot, It all depends if you have the strength and stamina to run a larger saw all day.

What does that have to do with this thread. I have no problem running a large saw all day long.

Why do you need a big saw when you are cutting 12" stuff? Most people with small saws don't go cutting 28" stuff on a regular basis.

I know this was a crack at me... Not sure why, but regardless, not everyone needs a 100cc saw for firewood. Your idea of firewood might be differant than mine, or Ben walkers, or joe blow. Most homeowners cut firewood with 45cc saws from wallyword or sears....

My 372, 7900, and 660 get used quite often all day long....

Freakingstang said:
What does that have to do with this thread. I have no problem running a large saw all day long.

Why do you need a big saw when you are cutting 12" stuff? Most people with small saws don't go cutting 28" stuff on a regular basis.

I know this was a crack at me... Not sure why, but regardless, not everyone needs a 100cc saw for firewood. Your idea of firewood might be differant than mine, or Ben walkers, or joe blow. Most homeowners cut firewood with 45cc saws from wallyword or sears....

My 372, 7900, and 660 get used quite often all day long....

3120 and 084 ...Can never have enough power..

04ultra said:
3120 and 084 ...Can never have enough power..

Working on the 084 now...Got the case stripped down, put in new bearings and seals. Repainted the case. I think I have eveything to put it back together with the exception of the top cover and HD air filter cover.

Freakingstang said:
Working on the 084 now...Got the case stripped down, put in new bearings and seals. Repainted the case. I think I have eveything to put it back together with the exception of the top cover and HD air filter cover.

Cant wait to see pictures..

engineeringnerd said:
Freak,

Is that your mustang in your picture? If so, what's it got?

No, I stole if off of the internet somewhere..... :laugh:

Yup, it is mine. lol. It had a naturally aspirated 302 with cast iron heads in that pic. Best it went was 12.0's at 116 mph.

Had a 306 for it that had aluminum heads and about every bolt on thrown at it and it went 11.40's before spinning a main. Right now it sits, as I am stripping it to put back to stock and sell.

My new toy is an 86 gt. I am building a 331 stroker (302 based) and will b running a moddified Vortech S-trim with TFS R heads. I hope to have a dependable 10 sec street car.

Then there is my 66 coupe. been sitting for years in the garage, needs the quarter panels finished and the motor put back in it.

When I get done with those, I have a 1986 SSP coupe (special service package) It was a former Utah highway patrol car. I have paperwork with the buil sheets that says it is one of 38. It is in rough shape, but I want to restore it the way it was while in service. It was optioned as a "slicktop" as it had no light bar on it, and most of the UHP cars had them. Real rare to be an 86 slick top to boot!

So, yes, that is my car in the pic and one of a couple that i currently own. I have owned about 30 mustangs since I was 18!!!

Hey manual, this is for you... :laugh:

632chevelle said:
i just got a new 5100 and my buddy bot a 7300from amicks.great people by the way.I also own husky350,372xp,stihl310 and some old yellow and red "beater units".Im just blown away by the 5100,the way it cuts in hard big wood noprob.low end power is bfeels stouter than the ms 310,plus feel of just quality has me tickled shtless.and his 7300 made my 372xp look like a dog even with anew chain on mine.I have one word of advice for everybody,get a dolmar 5100 whetther ya need it or not ,heck might as well have 2.THEY ARE THE SAW TO HAVE FOR FIREWOOD PERIOD

I gots a 5100S, a 346 xp & a 2152.....I like cutting firewood with the 2152 the best.......but if I'm trying to make a buck cutting firewood, then I get out the 044 & 046.

I've been reading a lot of these threads on 346 vs 5100 vs xyz... I enjoy them to a point, but it seems to be like the civil war in the South, it never ends. I'd love to try a 5100 some day, but chances are I will go to the grave having not worn my other saws out. Now if I can step up on the soap box for a moment;

I used to shoot pistols competitively and many times other shooters would show up with really cool gear, custom guns, team shirts... but often weren't very good shots when the pressure of competition heated up. Often the guy you really needed to worry about showed up with a well worn pistol, scarred belt & holster, wearing his "lucky" shirt. His time was spent shooting and perfecting the discipline of his craft!

It seems we often get stuck on the technology, not the discipline to maximize what we have.

Truth is, I'd rather spend my day with a guy with an old Poulan/Homelite XL/XYZ of yesteryear that knows how to take a tree down properly than a guy with the latest gear that doesn't know how to use it. I can learn from that guy and I respect him for sticking with equipment that has served him well. Certainly a guy with great gear that knows what he is doing is great too.

So, when/if I ever wear out my 346 or 372, I'll look at what's the best thing to replace it with. Until then, I'll focus on the craft with what I have. Hopefully I'll be cranking one or both of these saws in 2040 showing my grandkids how to fell and buck a tree with an ancient fossil fuel burning, smoke belching, 2 cycle saw rather than the newest timber laser.

So after it's all said and done, between a 346xp and a 5100s... the 5100s still seems to get the nod, yes?

But only because no 60-70cc saws were included as a choice.

I think this has been pretty consistent in the past AFAIK.

Chaser

Back