donating work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you donate your time?

• Yes I do donate my time to charities

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No I do not donate my time to charities

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I would donate my time to a cause I find worthy

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many of you guys who own companys donate a day of work here or there to some charitable organization? Where do you donate your time? What do you do with that time? How much time do you donate a year?

time / donate

I donate time to causes I think will make a difference, it keeps me actively thinking. It does not have to be a charitable org.

I occassionally donate my work. Usually to a church where I attend. I feel better about "volunteering" if I offer to do it free or just decline to submit a bill, as opposed to being asked to work free.:)

I do th work as a donation and get a reciept, minus tha value of "advertiement" for a mention in the bulletin.

I've done it for a few local churches and then got a few jobs out of it.

Done it 2 ways, got a couple of people together and did it all at once, and went a few hours at a time when near by. Have the paritioners stack brush when I was off site, then have a buddy come by and chip for free dumping.

Now I while doing other vollenteer work, church ladies point me out to their husbands as "Mae's boy, the Arborist who did all the trees at church."

Its amazing thinking back to when I had yards of fire wood. How many friends I had around christmas time. Never seen them all yr.& after the wood was or has been gone I never seen them again.

Donation of time

I donate to a non-profit called 'Drums for Peace'. They found me, needed 32" lengths of fresh hardwood that they could hollow out. I've learned how to hollow them out a bit faster than their methods.

I buy these guys carving tools, and donate some time in hollowing out Jimbays. It's very gratifying because my efforts are multiplied manyfold and they tell me I catalyze their vision. Doesn't get much better than that.

The image here, I threw together for the Drum Shop. Never meant for it to be shown here, so don't gawk at the unorthodox use of the 394.

I have donated work to the local botanical gardens. That was good when I was the only one but in the 2 years since, Davey and other donate time too. It looks good on a ref list but not so good when 10 companies all have the same ref.

My donations go to the elderly on a fixed income. Milk and cookies beat the botanical gardens any day.

I have donated time a few times, A huge blow down spruce at one of our 'free to public' Botanical Gardens, and a few Gift certificates raffled off at charity Auctions

These have been great for both the recipients and me. They got their work done, and I got some great referrals for a start-up business.

The season reminded me of another area I've donated work in. I have worked with a local nursery in a X-mas tree recycling program.- They receive the used trees and I chip them. Good PR.:)

billing donations?

Just wondering, do you submit a bill to charitable organizations, churches, etc. and have a zero balance due for tax purposes? We have done alot of work for our church and never thought about it until one of my friends recommended send an invoice to be used for a write-off. You opinions are appreciated.

Palmer

Check with your accountant. If you donate, say, a chainsaw, there is a 'value' attached to it, an original reciept of sale, minus depreciation = the value of the saw you are donating. It is tangible. There's a paper trail.

Donating time is kinda funny. It's OK to donate time freely, but asking for a reduction in your tax bill because of that,.... ask your accountant. A lot of times, 'things' count, but time does not. I ran into this two years ago, spent dozens of hours establishing a children's park in a nearby township. my accountant says, "Who's to say the township mayor isn't a buddy of yours?" I replied, "He IS a buddy of mine. That's how I got permission to hang the swings." "Well, how is ANYBODY to know that you didn't pad the log of hours, or fabricate it entirely....?"

The IRS has certain rules about just this. I'm not an authority in the area, except to say that when I donate time (I am asked) or volunteer (I offer), I give and expect nothing in return. Don't let this deter you from giving. There are inherent values far beyond the buck, basic Karma being one of these. --TM--

Latest posts

Back