Done with shoulder wood yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Today I put the last of my shoulder wood in the stove. Took me about 6 weeks to use it all up. Intermittent fires at the beginning of heating season but have been burning 24/7 the past couple of weeks.:rock:

I'm just starting to burn now, so I am just starting into the shoulder wood pile. I actually just added 2 more loads to the pile tonight as I sit here now in front of the fire with a cold beverage.

Just got through my junk wood by now. Old construction wood/timber fir and spruce saved from reconstructing house and phased out wood stacking pallets. Now it's on to the 3 years old bone dry ash. What a difference! Steady nice fire going with the occaisional throw another log in to maintain staus quo.

Motorsen

Tore through it with the woodstove going and nightly fireplace burn that is accompanied by a few glasses of red wine.

Depends what is meant by "done". I shifted from cottonwood and tulip poplar to cherry and locust, but will shift back if/when the forecast warmup occurs.

Ash is my shoulder wood. Almost done with it, but been mixing in a little of my "cold weather" wood as its been cold enough for it!

I'm about half through my lodgepole pine here, although I have considered going up and getting another load of buckskin lodgepole if it doesn't snow.

nope, good wood starts dec 15th. what is not used gets saved till spring.

Traded off a couple truck loads of my big long term uglies pile last winter (got two saws), so this year I have been burning dry pine knots/various oak chunks from the splitting area, etc and last week started on my main stack for the winter. Still burning off the pine though, it's just so easy here to stockpile a few cords, why not is my thought. Burns great for this time of year. So for this winter I have that shoulder season pine mostly, my main mixed bag stacks for winter, mixed bag is anything and everything, any species, splits and small rounds and uglies, and a stash of pure good hardwood, ash and oak, one cord, for any super deep freeze mid winter.

I've not yet really begun to burn the mediocrities here- stacks here & there. No rush to burn good stuff either.

The peak-season wood is on two top-covered racks right outside the door. White oak & black birch. Bring it.

Most simply here: burn the worst that'll get it done, and will clear useful space. No need to make the house a sauna.

I've got about 1/2 cord of white oak that I think will be ready at the end of winter/early spring. It was a standing dead tree I processed in september. I've never burned it before, what does it compare to? I burn mostly ash, black locust, hard maple, a little cherry.

When I'm around during the day, I'll burn all the punky stuff that gets left behind in the woods, I'll burn the Bass and even most of the shorts so I have the good stuff for the colder nights. I figure If the wood makes chips, it's good enough to burn during the day.

I've got about 1/2 cord of white oak that I think will be ready at the end of winter/early spring. It was a standing dead tree I processed in september. I've never burned it before, what does it compare to? I burn mostly ash, black locust, hard maple, a little cherry.

closest in that list would be the sugar maple

Back