Don't be mad at me, I'm just curios about the dogs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kent550

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've noticed that big dogs on your saws are popular over there. In Sweden that is the first thing we remove from our saws. (Can't say I speak for all of us though.):givebeer:
I admit they look cool cause I have them on my 390.

Last edited:
If you ever cut ShagBark Hickory you would see the need for some big dogs. Plus being the USA we do most things big anyhow.

I've never had any - wouldn't want to give up the bar length. Aren't the chains supposed to be sharp?

You fellas over there sure like the small bars.

We tend to over size the bars, so we have plenty left over to accommodate longer spikes.

attachment.php

Oversized dawgs were designed for pacific coast logging where trees can be extremely large. The bark can be very thick as well. The remainder of the country doesn't need oversized dawgs.

Oversized dawgs were designed for pacific coast logging where trees can be extremely large. The bark can be very thick as well. The remainder of the country doesn't need oversized dawgs.

Yeah,

and we don't need cars that will run 160+MPH either.

The key is NEED or WANT.

your wrong there. I dont live in the pnw, cut mostly cottonwood, poplar, the bark on a 5ft diam cottonwood is easily 2 inches thick, and 5ft is very common, there are bigger ones than that

Im gonna get hung by the toes for this..
I don't run dawgs on my 046 and 066. The mount on my 066 is broke, and just haven't gotten around to getting it fixed.
And the dawgs on my 46 got loose one day and fell of without me noticing... Kind of sad I have dawgs on my 50cc saws.. but not my 90cc saw! :laugh:

I do have some badass dawgs on my 80cc McCullochs! :rock:

You'll do a whole lot less work with a good set of falling dogs on. Especially steep ground.

the bigger ones are nice for falling deep barked trees ,they hold the saw for you kinda like a jig to help keep the cut strait

i like the factory sized big dawgs but i dont like the pro safety sized dawgs

I've noticed that big dogs on your saws are popular over there. In Sweden that is the first thing we remove from our saws. (Can't say I speak for all of us though.):givebeer:
I admit they look cool cause I have them on my 390.

i'm with you on the the dog thing,although they do have their place.( if you know how to use them PROPERLY.....which most wanna be wood cutters don't !!! ) lot's of good responses here in this tread. i've sold over 2,300 brand new HVA chainsaws over the past 32 years, and it's interesting to hear the people lookin' at my saws on display ask " where's the teeth on these saws"......and i say "real wood cutters don't need teeth around here"!!!!!

here's one that need's dogs to operate correctly

You'll do a whole lot less work with a good set of falling dogs on. Especially steep ground.

Exactly, it's just smart to have dogs. It allows you to take the weight of the saw and let the tree hold the saw up instead of you. It also allows you to use the spikes to pivot while the bar is in the wood, acting as a lever, increasing the amount of torque on the bar with less effort from you; again saving you effort. On a limbing saw, it may not matters as much, but the larger the saw is, the more you can use the spikes.

Latest posts

Back