Don't hate the Wraptor....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know there were some critics to the introduction of the Wraptor into an arborists arsenal of tools. However, watch this video and see how it can vastly increase production. 85' Vertical ascent into a massive Sycamore. We had to prune 5 of these and all of them are about 100+ feet tall. Major energy conservation.

Tree Pro Wraptor - YouTube

Anthony

Last edited:
Nice spikes.

I don't doubt the wraptor's effectiveness. Looks like a good tool. My main thing is I never buy the first model of anything. There will always be better versions in the works and hopefully at a cheaper price. Seems the concept of the wraptor is fairly simple and the price tag a bit high. I want to see what other manufacturers do to improve upon the design and hopefully lower the cost.

Wraptor has already evolved thru a number of prototypes and he settled on current offering;. Been round for couple of years and mine is nearing 2 years. Been up there hunerds of times with it. Rides in the passenger of my pickup with a seat belt secured (thought bout a baby carrier land a blanky).

If I were king of Wraptordom, I'd improve on the vulnerability of the spark plug. We broke one and bound to happen again . Boot gets unsecured at times too. Just a ittoo bitty fall from perfection.

I know there were some critics to the introduction of the Wraptor into an arborists arsenal of tools. However, watch this video and see how it can vastly increase production. 85' Vertical ascent into a massive Sycamore. We had to prune 5 of these and all of them are about 100+ feet tall. Major energy conservation.

Anthony

So you wear spikes and still need the wraptor to trim a tree , and thats all I have say about that , sounds like a RC car and I am not really that impressed with it ... JUST SAYING

Anthony

Somewhere a D.O.T flagger is grieving the loss of his hard hat. After watching that vid a few things came to mind, you spent 10 bucks on a hard hat and 2,500 on a ascender wtf, thats 55' at best and last of all are you guys really using the wraptor on these short climbs. With the time spent switching systems lowering the device and huffin 2 stroke, seems like a waste to me. I get it on long asents, but so far the only good use for these things is going up a redwood.

Somewhere a D.O.T flagger is grieving the loss of his hard hat. After watching that vid a few things came to mind, you spent 10 bucks on a hard hat and 2,500 on a ascender wtf, thats 55' at best and last of all are you guys really using the wraptor on these short climbs. With the time spent switching systems lowering the device and huffin 2 stroke, seems like a waste to me. I get it on long asents, but so far the only good use for these things is going up a redwood.

Yep I can agree with that. I have been using a pantin the last 2 years and can go up tall white pines and poplars around here all day long,and still have lots of energy, if you cannot do that then your out of shape. They have there place for sure, but not justifiable for me to buy one, especially at that price.

Anthony

yeah you forgot about all the critics there are about spikin live trees... jess so happens I'm one of them kind O critic, Bozo.
And a sycamore to boot? yeah well double Bozo you are Bozo. I'd call ya that whenever so you know, ####,somebody should. Jeez, looks like yer going fer triple Bozo cause ya got the bucket right there.
Somewhere a DOT flagger IS looking for his hardhat, he really is.

Anthony

Anthony, maybe thats just the worst camera angle ever....because it apeared on the video you ascended about 50ft at the very most.

I think the wraptor is absolutely great....although personally wouldn't want to become too reliant on it. I can however think of many an occasion in the past where it would have been a real morale booster....but nothing more recently. Good luck with that.

I'd love to have a wraptor....

and a GRCS, bigger chipper, bigger truck, more climbing ropes, some new saws, bigger stump grinder, one of those fancy chain sharpening machines, a full time technician to look after my gear and do my servicing, a higher income, longer holidays, shorter days and 3 wishes to come true each day.

Back in reality world though, each piece of gear has to earn its money many times over to be worth buying. There's only so much cash to spend on gear, and lots of that stuff is just icing on the cake.

Shaun

We are not hacks by any means. A large part of that tree was being pruned out. The spikes only penetrated the lead that was being removed. The beauty of the wraptor. Don't judge before getting all of the facts my friends.

In regards to the bucket being on site:

Fully extended from its place in the driveway it wasn't able to get to the limbs in the sycamore that was closest to it. Were we able to use the bucket for them, of course that would have been preferred. You guys are so easy to spark up. That's what I love about this site. Everybody individually is Gods gift to tree care.

You know,
I would have taken a look but "this video has been removed by the user".

I'm sure you are 100% professional and did a really first rate job though.

Shaun

A couple of times I've wondered how I'd go about making one. I don't think I'd be interested in doing a petrol motor version of it. Maybe a battery powered one though? I've got a 36V dewalt cordless drill, I guess you could knock up a simple aluminum frame with a bit of gearing and maybe a self tailing winch drum. A shunt or microcender above that gets pushed up the rope as your backup. I just dont know how much you'd have to gear it down for the drill to have enough guts to turn it all, might end up so slow it isnt worthwhile. Also, how many ascents you'd get in a day.

Just another project to add to the long list.....

Shaun

A couple of times I've wondered how I'd go about making one. I don't think I'd be interested in doing a petrol motor version of it. Maybe a battery powered one though? I've got a 36V dewalt cordless drill, I guess you could knock up a simple aluminum frame with a bit of gearing and maybe a self tailing winch drum. A shunt or microcender above that gets pushed up the rope as your backup. I just dont know how much you'd have to gear it down for the drill to have enough guts to turn it all, might end up so slow it isnt worthwhile. Also, how many ascents you'd get in a day.

Just another project to add to the long list.....

Shaun

How bout just buying one instead of re inventing the wheel (wraptor)?:monkey:

I paid for mine with one day's work. If you don't buy one and say you don't need one (who needs a bucket or crane or chainsaw for that matter)....you either not a high enough level arb to make that much or a Scrooge level tightwad. :popcorn:

We are not hacks by any means. A large part of that tree was being pruned out. The spikes only penetrated the lead that was being removed. The beauty of the wraptor. Don't judge before getting all of the facts my friends.

its lookin pretty grim fella.

Latest posts

Back