Don't hate the Wraptor....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just surprises the #### outta me how many guys out there still going to spike a live tree.

You have the guys jess to dumb to know better. You have the guys that are jess to dumb to try another way. You have the guys that jess don't give a ####.

Its not only about the spiking. No, you put a mentality like that is room with me and we are jess not going to get along.Why? Because I gave up trying to.

I really don't get it. I could have been up there just as quick with a pantin and single hand ascender with plenty of energy to burn. Not to mention I could just clip the hand ascender to my saddle when I am done instead of trying to lower that 3000 dollar POS. I guess it's hard to wear a pantin with spikes on though..... luckily I don't trim with spikes.

I did a creek willow clearance project that we had to srt up multple 70ft plus trees with no bottom limbs. We ended up just setting a friction saver at the top and a block at the bottom of the tree then pulling climbers up with the winch.... could have just as easily done it with some strong groundies. You can put that wraptor in the garage with AA's steiner in my opinion.

Yeah... I see why you pulled that vid of your awesome 85 ft ascent.

Somewhere a D.O.T flagger is grieving the loss of his hard hat. After watching that vid a few things came to mind, you spent 10 bucks on a hard hat and 2,500 on a ascender wtf, thats 55' at best and last of all are you guys really using the wraptor on these short climbs. With the time spent switching systems lowering the device and huffin 2 stroke, seems like a waste to me. I get it on long asents, but so far the only good use for these things is going up a redwood.

Just keep telling yourself that young grasshopper and the usefulness of this fine tool will appear into your knoggin:) Btw most of our trees require 90 foot tip not 55 my bucket 55 many times wont reach first limb lol. Personally I don't care if anyone thinks thinks they are useless while I'm doing twice their production and going home rested :)

Got any after pics?

If you took out the whole smaller leader it sounds quite excessive.

Lol I recommend complete removal damn toxic trees imo. Had a lady want one trimmed so I trimmed it she told me she had to go to the doctor and her allergy's were acting up. I said yeah well mine too because of this tree:)

Last edited:
I really don't get it. I could have been up there just as quick with a pantin and single hand ascender with plenty of energy to burn. .

horseschit.

let's see a vid of you on a 70 ft foot lock and close up of your face at the end.

Man this place is gettin infested with bullschitters.

And I was first surprised some time ago, it seems everytime i run into a guy stompin through a trim job it refreshes the surprise.

horseschit.

let's see a vid of you on a 70 ft foot lock and close up of your face at the end.

Man this place is gettin infested with bullschitters.

alright..... guess I gotta make a footlock video now. Maybe I'll go climb the tallest tree in CO again.... a whopping 105 ft.

I am not saying the wraptor isn't easier, just saying it ain't faster and it ain't worth what they ask for it. A wraptor is worth 500 bucks max. Hell they should just make an attachment for the kombi system, now there's an idea. Yeah... and I am all about getting pulled up a tree at the end of the day if it is possible.

And I hate the Wraptor too! I HATE it! :angry:

Its a little much for around here i think but to hate it? Dam, when i was a kid skateboarding was illegal, pants fit and you had to climb yer own trees if you wanted up em.

Last edited:
Me and my bud rode the Wraptor on 3 large Red Oak deadwood/trims today. It is an awesome tool. If you are into pruning large vertical trees, it's a no brainer. You can make a bunch of your cuts on the way up too.

Yeah nails, very seldom I don't make cuts on the way up.

Couple of days ago had a 60' partially uprooted ash bent over a house and deck like a fishing pole. Shot a beanie up in it and when I pulled on it real hard it damn near touched the roof.

Stem was near 40 degree lean. Had 6 severe, and I counted em, bends, and was maybe 10 inch dia most of the way up. Took the short cut and went straight to the top all time trying to think "I am light....I am light" lol. Woulda been an adventure climbing that one all the way up. Couldn't of got a 200' stick crane to it.

Here's a little trick I been using lately (off topic but it's near the wraptor that day). Just a firewood carrier made of thin canvas you can stick in your pocket. In it is short climb line line, long climb line, 150' lower line, saddle, handsaw, gecko's, cube and throw line. Works super for carrying gear. Cost, prob bout 15 bucks.

How bout just buying one instead of re inventing the wheel (wraptor)?:monkey:

I paid for mine with one day's work. If you don't buy one and say you don't need one (who needs a bucket or crane or chainsaw for that matter)....you either not a high enough level arb to make that much or a Scrooge level tightwad. :popcorn:

I think I'm a combo, perhaps a low level arb, with a twist of high level scrooge tightwad. ;)

I get your point, part of me says, "just get one." If nothing else, get by till I can retrofit a stihl powerhead, or engineer my own chassis that will welcome one.

But I can't get past the wally world choice for a power unit. Tecumseh...really? $2500 for something with a tecumseh? What will you do when it quits? What kind of warranty do you have? The website gives me little to no real info. ( btw..I think tecumseh is native american for "Bah humbug". :jester:)

Maybe I'm wrong, that's very possible, but I doubt they became better motors since they went out of business. Maybe though, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it when that money can go to some other things more credible and reliable for now.

I'm not trying to give anyone buyer's remorse, I know alot of you guys are running them with success so far, I'm honestly glad for that, it's the only thing that has me tempted. However, there is plenty of room for improvement, and it won't be too long before someone, like stihl I hope, comes along with something that might actually be worth the money, substance wise, especially down the line.

I'm glad you mentioned the reinventing the wheel though, because it gives us a perfect example of a concept that has enjoyed much innovation through the years.

The wraptor only belongs to the concept of motorized rope ascension, not the other way around.

If Paul can do it, what's stopping anyone else from making the wraptor the model A Ford of motorized rope ascension? Or perhaps even the edsel? Not to dissolve giving credit where credit is due, but to suggest that it's the end all be all is simply a short cut to thinking.

Great concept, handy tool, but overall low quality, mostly due to the motor, at a high price. If all goes well in the next couple of weeks, I may just order one, but if winter sets in hard like they are saying before I do, there will be some long days and nights at the 80k sq ft fab shop I'm looking to help part time this winter. Don't be surprised if I'm buzzing up a rope on a stihl FS 90 conversion come spring. But I've got other projects in mind as well, like a grapple bucket for a friend's massey that I want to give him, so who really knows if I ever get around to it, but somebody will, especially if the market will bear a $2500 tecumseh powered unit.

"Time is money" works both ways.

BTW...I don't hate the wraptor, I'm just looking beyond it. I see a little bigger, a little faster, a lot better.

ford-model-a.jpg

1280x1024_Wallpapers_70258_20080507.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm a combo, perhaps a low level arb, with a twist of high level scrooge tightwad. ;)

I get your point, part of me says, "just get one." If nothing else, get by till I can retrofit a stihl powerhead, or engineer my own chassis that will welcome one.

But I can't get past the wally world choice for a power unit. Tecumseh...really? $2500 for something with a tecumseh? What will you do when it quits? What kind of warranty do you have? The website gives me little to no real info. ( btw..I think tecumseh is native american for "Bah humbug". :jester:)

Maybe I'm wrong, that's very possible, but I doubt they became better motors since they went out of business. Maybe though, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it when that money can go to some other things more credible and reliable for now.

I'm not trying to give anyone buyer's remorse, I know alot of you guys are running them with success so far, I'm honestly glad for that, it's the only thing that has me tempted. However, there is plenty of room for improvement, and it won't be too long before someone, like stihl I hope, comes along with something that might actually be worth the money, substance wise, especially down the line.

I'm glad you mentioned the reinventing the wheel though, because it gives us a perfect example of a concept that has enjoyed much innovation through the years.

The wraptor only belongs to the concept of motorized rope ascension, not the other way around.

If Paul can do it, what's stopping anyone else from making the wraptor the model A Ford of motorized rope ascension? Or perhaps even the edsel? Not to dissolve giving credit where credit is due, but to suggest that it's the end all be all is simply a short cut to thinking.

Great concept, handy tool, but overall low quality, mostly due to the motor, at a high price. If all goes well in the next couple of weeks, I may just order one, but if winter sets in hard like they are saying before I do, there will be some long days and nights at the 80k sq ft fab shop I'm looking to help part time this winter. Don't be surprised if I'm buzzing up a rope on a stihl FS 90 conversion come spring. But I've got other projects in mind as well, like a grapple bucket for a friend's massey that I want to give him, so who really knows if I ever get around to it, but somebody will, especially if the market will bear a $2500 tecumseh powered unit.

"Time is money" works both ways.

BTW...I don't hate the wraptor, I'm just looking beyond it. I see a little bigger, a little faster, a lot better.

ford-model-a.jpg

1280x1024_Wallpapers_70258_20080507.jpg

Believe my engine is a Tanaka....not a Tecumseh Ryan.

Had the first edition of anyone of gas powered reversable Tonaka drill for 25 years and the little engine has drilled a meelion vert. mulch holes in hard pan and drilled another meelion holes for cabling and rodding and various other tasks and still kickin as s. Amazing unit like this Mercedes of ascension.

Jealousy brings out some unusual emotions. I remember just couple of years ago all the same rhetoric involving the purchase of bucket trucks and maybe just last week involving cranes. That is the soap opera that is arboristsite.

Think end to end warr. is a year but not sure. He offered to completely send me another new machine when I had an issue with my shut off switch but I had my mechanic fix it easily as it was a painted ground wire contact he just ground off paint.

Maybe like the Patriot dude, you can get a Chevy connected to a line to a pully or a donkey or something to pull you up while you invent your own model? Good luck finding the time if you are like me buddy.

Believe my engine is a Tanaka....not a Tecumseh Ryan.

Had the first edition of anyone of gas powered reversable Tonaka drill for 25 years and the little engine has drilled a meelion vert. mulch holes in hard pan and drilled another meelion holes for cabling and rodding and various other tasks and still kickin as s. Amazing unit like this Mercedes of ascension.

Jealousy brings out some unusual emotions. I remember just couple of years ago all the same rhetoric involving the purchase of bucket trucks and maybe just last week involving cranes. That is the soap opera that is arboristsite.

Think end to end warr. is a year but not sure. He offered to completely send me another new machine when I had an issue with my shut off switch but I had my mechanic fix it easily as it was a painted ground wire contact he just ground off paint.

Maybe like the Patriot dude, you can get a Chevy connected to a line to a pully or a donkey or something to pull you up while you invent your own model? Good luck finding the time if you are like me buddy.

My bad, my bad, lol...I thought I saw tecumseh somewhere. Tanaka? Never heard of them. Hopefully, there's a difference there. What's the motor worth if you have to replace that? Must be expensive to justify a $2500 price tag. Where are they made? What are the internal materials? A one year warranty beats 90 days I guess. Excellent that he was so helpful...that's encouraging.

Can't say I'm jealous though, just thinking innovation here. Might be jealous of your crane though. ;) I'm patient, we'll get there.

I won't bother rigging any lessor contraptions, lol, just simple innovations coupled to reliable and available powerheads. No tonaka dealers around here that I know of, but I'll ask around.

If we get alot of snow, I'll have time likely, if not I'll take your word on the tanaka and hope for the best.

My bad, my bad, lol...I thought I saw tecumseh somewhere. Tanaka? Never heard of them. Hopefully, there's a difference there. What's the motor worth if you have to replace that? Must be expensive to justify a $2500 price tag. Where are they made? What are the internal materials? A one year warranty beats 90 days I guess. Excellent that he was so helpful...that's encouraging.

Can't say I'm jealous though, just thinking innovation here. Might be jealous of your crane though. ;) I'm patient, we'll get there.

I won't bother rigging any lessor contraptions, lol, just simple innovations coupled to reliable and available powerheads. No tonaka dealers around here that I know of, but I'll ask around.

If we get alot of snow, I'll have time likely, if not I'll take your word on the tanaka and hope for the best.

never had a repair on my Tanaka drill in 25 years except leaky gas cap which we just put a cutting of a plastic bag over the gas fill hole and put a hole in it and screwed the cap over it and afro'ed as good as new.:msp_thumbsup:

I found them, not much support in my area. Just from the little research I've done here I'll bet your drill was made in japan. Which is good...I have lots of faith in that county's commitment to quality. But it seems that now, some stuff, like some of their chainsaws, is made in china....I have little faith in the chinese. Some stuff ok, lots of stuff not so good. This tanaka now seems to be owned by hitachi I think.

So I'm curious where that wraptor powerhead is made. Is there a plate that tells you somewhere on there?

I found them, not much support in my area. Just from the little research I've done here I'll bet your drill was made in japan. Which is good...I have lots of faith in that county's commitment to quality. But it seems that now, some stuff, like some of their chainsaws, is made in china....I have little faith in the chinese. Some stuff ok, lots of stuff not so good. This tanaka now seems to be owned by hitachi I think.

So I'm curious where that wraptor powerhead is made. Is there a plate that tells you somewhere on there?

Powerhead ....Nikko Tanaka Engineering Company, Ltd., Chiba, Japan

Powerhead ....Nikko Tanaka Engineering Company, Ltd., Chiba, Japan

It says MADE IN JAPAN?

If so, that's very encouraging. So if Paul sends me one made in china by mistake, he won't mind taking it back and getting me one made in JAPAN I hope. I just might have to consider getting one now.

Thanks man. :msp_thumbup:

Back