Don't know as I'll do this again (Kinda long)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice haul, and beautiful scenery down there in bluff country!

Those big old trees have a heck of a lot of heat in em. For the saw nuts here, you should probably find out what model of McCulloch Earl is driving. There's quite a few here that appreciate seeing the old yellow monsters still running, myself included. Pics would be cool as well.

How about some pics of that Cummins hauling it home? Have you done any mods to it? I'm betting that you saw some black smoke going up the hills with that load on!

Steve, I'll get a couple pix of Earl's unit and post them later today. And Gatsby, We were lucky that the haul was more or less on top of the bluffs around here so no big hills to speak of. BUT, Earl's driveway is long and steep and gravel and once I got down to the house, I had to back past the house, down more hill and around "stuff" to where he unloads. We even had to cut out a section of a big timber he uses to help with water drainage near the house. Once, when I was part way back to where we unload, I had to drop down into 4WD low to go ahead and straighten out so I could back into the area I wanted to get to. That Cummins is an awesome engine (no mods) and I was glad to have it more than once. And speaking of how heavy the loads were. After all was hauled and unloaded, I was rolling my Truxedo cover back out when I noticed that the bed of the truck now had a roll to it like waves. We could only load two of the big noodled rounds into the bucket at once and when Earl dropped them into the bed, they added some character to the truck bed, if you know what I mean. She's an 04' with only 67,000mi and does everyting I want it to. I've chained up some huge (not as big as the ash) oak and hauled them up sections of bluff areas we've cut in with no problem. I'll try to get some pix of where we unloaded at Earls and the truck bed.

I had to drop down into 4WD low to go ahead and straighten out so I could back into the area I wanted to get to.

I use 4-low all the time when backing up. It makes it so much easier on the clutch and it makles the trailer a lot easier to control in tight areas. Dads truck is an 02 Dodge Diesel with 212k miles. I know it has over 100k of heavy towing miles on it. He still has the stock clutch. I wish the newer trucks had 2-low like the old ones did. That is the main reason I like the lock out hubs on my F-550. I still have 2-low when they are not locked in.

Scott

nice haul. recently met my down-the-road neighbor when i stopped to ask him what he was gonna do with the 24" oak that had fallen over out by the road. he said i could have it as well as the 6 or 7 other standing dead oaks out front of his place. figure around a rick or rick and a half out of each. nothing like driving right up to where the wood is. still got to load it though but beats the stuffing out of having to carry it through the woods to load it. by the way, congrats on having a wife that pitches in.

In response....
Steve NW, here's a couple pix of Earl's old McCulloch and his even older splitter with the home made grapple.
PA200155.jpg

PA200153.jpg

And Gatsby, here's Earls drive down to his place and then back to where he piles them up and splits.
PA200150.jpg

PA200152.jpg

And the bed of my truck with the new wrinkles in the bed.
PA190148.jpg

Thanks JerryC, she is a huge help. Loves to run the hydraulics, throw wood and stack it up. She's not big, but she's wiry. Plus she's a heck of a cook and loves to bake. Life is good.

Nice work and pics! I tackled a 45" white oak a few years back and worked 4 different weekends processing it up. A lot of work but boy the payoff is sweet! I think that tree heated my house for 2/3 of a winter and I ended up selling the trunk log. I hope I can lug wood like you do when I get to your age...Kudos to you! Thanks for sharing!

Great score, thanks for sharing the photos. As Dingeryote said, that's some of the clearest ash I've seen. Great smelling when it burns too.

I love the musky scent of oak.. And the sweetness of cherry. As well as the 'you're in nh whiff of red maple.' But boy there's something indescribable about the smell of ash. From fresh fell to the stove pipe.

I'm up to my ears in oak, but would trade it pound for pound for what you nabbed! Thanks for sharing!

sense of accomplishment-underrated

That whole adventure looks like a challenge well handled.To me,the sense of accomplishment i get when looking over the fruits of my woods labor is addicting.I tip my hat to you for a job well done.It sounds like you'll remember this for some time.How many cords did you end up with?That would be a challenge to people who make their living in the woods like I do.Kudos.Gary

"How many cords did you end up with?"

No idea yet Gary. Annie and I split for 3 hours and stacked a full row and about 2/3 of another in the woodshed which is 9' wide and 7' high. Didn't even make a dent in the pile. With 4 boats to get ready for the season, 10 yds of black dirt I just finished spreading and 20 yds of hard wood chips I have coming to spread around, I'll just have to split and stack here and there when I can. But I'm not complaining. It's all good work. And by the way, thanks for the kind words. Means a lot coming from guys like you and all the others on this great site. I've been cutting wood since 78' but I've gotten some great ideas and advice just hiding in the shadows and reading all the posts. Great place to spend some time each day.

Back