dont rule out the stop/ignition switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husq2100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As some may know, Im rebuilding a old 1984 Husky 266se. This saw came to me complete as a non runner. The seller told me the coil had failed and that he had a new OEM replacement to come with it but he never got around to fitting it.

I fitted the ignition system today, installing the brand new OEM replacement coil straight up. Figured id mount the starter and check for spark (mostly to check my own work). Nothing???? I changed the plug for a new one, nothing??? Then checking through the WSM for specs and connection diagrams, I noted that it said to check spark and if no go, unplug the stop/ignition switch. I tried this and got spark straight up.

It then occured to me that the original coil may never have been the problem, so I pulled the new one out and mounted up the old original one. Pulled it over and got spark. I even tested the old plug and got spark. As soon as I plugged the stop switch back in, no spark!

Of course I will have to check under load, but its looking like a dodgey switch...

So if anyone has a old WORKING husky switch to suit a 1983~1984 vintage 266se, PM me as im looking for one to keep the saw original.

cheers
Serg

Had the same problem on a Poulan 5200 I bought, the owner could not find the problem and gave up and sold the saw for $25.

Latest posts

Back