Door Gasket Installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am replacing the door and window gaskets on my wood stove. In the past l have always used hi-temp rtv gasket sealant hold the gaskets in place. I was.wondering what you people use. I did once use the stuff recommened by the shop I buy my gaskets but when I went to replace the gaskets after using it....the product had turned into a gray substance much like concrete or dry two part epoxy. That is why l do not want to ever use that again.

I used refractory cement, (the way it came from the factory)... it is a cement and you have to chisel it out/off the joints when replacing, not really a big deal though as its only every 5 years or so for door gaskets, and much longer for the other joints in the stove.

The job of that goop is to be an adhesive. It is nice if it is easy to remove if you change your gasket often. Some stoves are better about this than others.

My newest stove, an englander, uses what appears to be black RTV and I think it's a great idea vs. glue or cement.

The job of that goop is to be an adhesive. It is nice if it is easy to remove if you change your gasket often. Some stoves are better about this than others.

My newest stove, an englander, uses what appears to be black RTV and I think it's a great idea vs. glue or cement.
The problem l have with hi_temp RTV is that it seems to dry up after being exposed to repeated/extended high temps. That is why I am looking for something.between RTV and the refractory cement(which is very difficult to remove).

Back