Double check my ears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dad's been complaining that his 455 has been running dogishly lately so I decided to take a look at it for him today. First thing I did is strip it down and blow it off then I sprayed it down with degreaser and washed it good. Then I checked the compression and it was around 150 psi, the cylinder looks ok no major issues so I reassembled it and went to tune it. It was waaay out about 3 turns on the high so after fighting with it a second I screwed them both all the way in then out one full turn and went from there. Here's the result let me know if I'm even close.

Tuning Husky 455:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415576749879.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415576749879.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15
BTW it's probably an 05 or 06 model and has cut 2-3 cord every winter since. May be nearing a rebuild I reckon.

first of all chains a little to tight second . your tuning is on the right track sounds good
Yea I realised the chain was to tight when I went to sharpen it before I put it up. Does it seem like it's weak I'm not a good judge after running my 7900 everything feels like a turd.

Another thing what is needed to plug the decomp on this saw I'm concerned it may start leaking if it isn't already.

Needing a rebuild? Are you serious? If it was cutting 100 cords of wood a year maybe, but it sounds like it has cut just a couple dozen. I have never worn out a saw, even one I've had for over 20 years. Granted I don't cut every day but I cut a lot more than a lot of people.

Needing a rebuild? Are you serious? If it was cutting 100 cords of wood a year maybe, but it sounds like it has cut just a couple dozen. I have never worn out a saw, even one I've had for over 20 years. Granted I don't cut every day but I cut a lot more than a lot of people.
Simma down now I don't know no better I'm green when it comes to these things. 2-3 is probably a low figure may be more like 5 or 6. Depends a lot on how much it's been run lean or on crappy ethanol fuel I'd imagine.

Well, think about about how many hours the engine has actually run during that cutting. A tank of fuel lasts maybe 20 minutes or so for pretty constant sawing. A tank of gas in most saws will make a lot of cuts on firewood. The saw is probably beyond the breaking in point but at that rate of use, it probably won't wear out the cylinder/piston in his remaining lifetime. Firewood cutters will cut as much in a day as he cuts in a year. Their saws last way more than a couple weeks...
If the saw has been operated with bad gas, dull chain forced through wood, etc, then it may not last 20 minutes.

she's definitely sounding turdly. i can just imagine how frustrated your dad must have been if it was worse then that. using that saw the way it is would drive me nuts. your camera mic is probably not helping either though. i'd be going back a 1/4 turn on that SOB but 1/8" increments is better for playing it safe if you don't have an ear for it.

she's definitely sounding turdly. i can just imagine how frustrated your dad must have been if it was worse then that. using that saw the way it is would drive me nuts. your camera mic is probably not helping either though. i'd be going back a 1/4 turn on that SOB but 1/8" increments is better for playing it safe if you don't have an ear for it.
Yep it was real bad he had the carb rebuilt two years ago and I think they left it real rich. It hasn't been run much since because that's about the time I bought my big Dolmar and we have been running it mostly since then.

alot of people who know what to listen for can only tell it's 4 stroking when it's 4 stroking heavy. at least you can do that man cause many can't. it takes a real skilled person with a sharp ear to tune it where it needs to be without using a tach.

i couldn't even answer that one for ya. i don't have alot of experience with those 4xx homeowner saws. there's always such a big gap in between working on them that i forget by the time another shows up on my bench.

Limited. A little rich isn't all that bad

certainly better then a little lean. IMO for a guy to really get good at tuning by ear he has to play around with a tach a bit. i know the first time i used a tach back in the day i learned alot about tuning by ear. my saws were a bit rich and underpowered but always cleaned up in the cut. now these days i don't even know what happened to my tach. i still do tune a little rich for piece of mind and cause once your close to what the factory spec is you are very very close to to lean. i'm really liking where my saws end up tuning by ear :)

Actually I lie I can hear it in the video but not so much in person.

Wow yea I should have watched that before I posted it that is still bad rich.

Latest posts

Back