Down-side of modified saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean Air Act,,,,,,1977

Ben

How old are you?

Cause the clean air act of 1977 states,,,,,,

"Amendments of 1977, the Administrator shall revise and reissue
criteria relating to concentrations of NO 2 over such period (not
more than three hours) as he deems appropriate. Such criteria
shall include a discussion of nitric and nitrous acids, nitrites,
nitrates, nitrosamines, and other carcinogenic and potentially
carcinogenic derivatives of oxides of nitrogen"

Look at page 5 of your strato engine,the NOX vs HP thing,,,, it,s refering to phase I as the 1997 Clean Air Act.

Take a look at the real deal , at: http://www.epa.gov/oar/caa/caa.txt part 51 - 54
And find HC or Hydro - Carbon on there list of "toxins" ?

It's like the chicken or the egg thing!

Kevin

Last edited:
It's the chicken n egg thing,,,,,,

Good links,,,,
In the first line it says that it's non-hand held,,,, besides the point.

If you take any engine, get it to run real good, there is a trade off at some point that as you reduce the NOX,,,,, your HC will start to go up, it would graph like an "X" on a chart,,,,, HC isant as much of a problim as the benzinge and other toxins that will also leave the engine with them. (here is a clue, HC is not brown!) But congresmen and epa goons may only know them as HC,,,,,,, about the only problim with HC is inner city smog, as there not telling us all we should know about the ozone, as it might be all a big hoax?

So to make an engine low NOX,,,, Cat converters and other tricks to burn the rest of the things in gas and oil will be needed.

It's the chicken that layed the egg,,,,,,, or the need to reduce NOX, that lead to the need to reduce the other things,,,,, it 1979 I owned a 2 gas anolizer, Co and HC, they were cheep,,,, in 1983 I had a 4 gas (CO , HC, CO2 and O2) it was expensive.
Testing for NOX, is more expensive yet.

The reason states even test HC as part of emmisions requirment is it's a cheap way to see what else would be flying out the pipe with it.
You can get anything with good compression and ratio to test clean for HC,,,, easist trick,,,, bump the timming up to just about detanation,,,,but that would make your NOx soar.

Kevin

Last edited:
The 575 is just the tip of the sword,,,,,

Ben

Even your link suggest that a reduction of another 59% is due by phase II

It's very clear that the 575 is just a start, as it's been mentioned that the 441 wil also fallow, today, I would bet that in 10 - 15 years we will see minni-prossers in saws that control the fuel and spark, but I would be leaning torwd the 4 strock hybreads, lots of composits and heat controling ceramics, and there is a chance that they will just scream!

Kevin

Ben I run a 575, I have 2 brothers that run them. Cliff says its a real good felling saw.We run them every day.They seem to work well for us.The one bad thing about them is they are verry cold blooded.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very clear that the 575 is just a start, as it's been mentioned that the 441 wil also fallow, today, I would bet that in 10 - 15 years we will see minni-prossers in saws that control the fuel and spark, but I would be leaning torwd the 4 strock hybreads, lots of composits and heat controling ceramics, and there is a chance that they will just scream
I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben I run a 575, I have 2 brothers that run them. Cliff says its a real good felling saw.We run them every day.They seem to work well for us.The one bad thing about them is they are verry cold blooded.
Like I said before, Rick. I have ran a 575 and thought it was a decent saw. When my 3 372's take a dirt map I will buy one if nothing better is available.

HELSEL said:
J P, dose it take your 575s a bit to warm up?

Rick

Yes, I've said this before. I don't mind at all saying it again. The ONLY problem I've had with my 575's is the fact they are cold-blooded lil' bastards. I don't mind, start em' and feather the choke(blue knob), not the throttle...after they take off they're good for the day. Strong saw, money makers. AND, like I've said before. I own a few 372's, damn good saws, but their time is past. If I'm going to continue making my living in the timber I need to change with the times. I have every intent to do just that and I'll use the best saw on the market. For now that saw is the Husqvarna 575xp. It would be great if we could keep using 372's, but that's not the case when you make your living on public land. The gumment(USDA) dictates what can I use and it won't do me one bit of good to waste breath on them.

Last edited:
and so the junk recycles again an again. older members may know what im talkin.
concerning the downside of modding.. if u are use to stock saws and get a saw modded well. u may very well get hurt adjusting to the speed and power
of the saw.thats about the only thing i ever noticed. in other wds it may take being more careful, until u are use to the saw again.

tony marks said:
and so the junk recycles again an again. older members may know what im talkin.
concerning the downside of modding.. if u are use to stock saws and get a saw modded well. u may very well get hurt adjusting to the speed and power
of the saw.thats about the only thing i ever noticed. in other wds it may take being more careful, until u are use to the saw again.

I've run quite a few saws Madsen's has "tuned up" or me. I like the power. Anymore I run stock saws for work because I replace them on a regular basis.
If I were holding on to saws for a year or two I'd have em' modified. Just don't have the need anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back