Down time...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Conveyor stopped conveying.
Pump is working cylinder. Motor is not turning.
Inspection shows alignment is off and metal filings by motor/shaft connection which is simply a keyed slip collar over motor shaft and top drum shaft.
I put a pipe wrench on the connector and rotated it to reveal the set screws. They were loose. 1" motor shaft twisted off easily when coupler rotated, very easily.

It has worked for ten years but two things:
One is that the top drum shaft has been replaced due to tipping backwards and hitting the ground, bending it at the drum hub. The motor shaft may indicate this, as a weathered spot at the edge of the break.
Second: The mounting bracket seems to twist/tilt sideways to the shaft, being a receiver tube in a tube to allow for belt tensioning. The connecting collar would seem to hold the hydraulic motor in line, and the mounting bracket in a horizontal position. On it's own, disconnected from the shaft, the mount tilts considerably.
I'll be going to a hydraulic shop in the morning with the motor and coupler.
Last winter I bought a cylinder from Built-Rite, the conveyor manufacturer, to replace the hand crank up/down. It works well, but I had to have fab work done to make the mount work. I'll be asking tomorrow about a counter balance valve also as I never followed through on that. After sitting for a week it bleeds down completely, within inches of the Posch drums on the turn table. There is no way to pin it in position as is, like some other designs have.
Anyway, I'm down till it's fixed.
IMG_5310.jpgIMG_5305.jpgIMG_5308.jpgIMG_5307.jpgIMG_5309.jpgIMG_5311.jpgIMG_5312.jpgIMG_5313.jpgIMG_5314.jpg

I know a guy who has a brand new one for sale ;)

Seeing how it seems like your a one man operation, get the conveyor fixed, sell it and the SS, put the money towards a new power split single split with conveyor and log lift, and you have your problem solved with all of the larger wood you have, just saying....

I don't have my price list anymore but when I was looking at new ones I think the singles started at $16,00.00.

On powersplits face book page their showing 2- double vertical splitters for sale for 18 grand each located in chicago land.

Yes please...

21751493_796787343779614_5349039034855941560_n.jpg

Shaft break is classic fatigue failure.
I think the alignment is putting bending stresses in the motor shaft. Rigid bearing, rigid coupling, rigid motor bearing. They are not perfectly in line, or the bracket flexes under load and changes alignment. Bracket can be plenty strong, but not rigid/stiff enough.
I would box any two open sides of the mount, leave the third open, then put a Lovejoy or Magnalloy (my preferered) flex coupling between motor to drum shaft.
A new motor from surplus center might be cheaper than rebuild with spare parts prices and labor.

I agree that the mount design is lacking.

Studying the photo, perhaps adding another short piece of square tube and a second pillow block sistered on (the drum side of) the existing tube would level the mount and allow existing belt adjustment. The drum shaft will level the mount, rather than the hydraulic motor shaft and coupling. Then a Love Joy or Magnalloy flex coupling as
kevin j suggested.

I can pull the pillow blocks and the mount pretty easily to do that.
That's the plan...

Classic fatigue failure. The drive motor and rollers are badly misaligned. That shaft has been breaking for a long time. It took a long time to get to the point where the torque exceeded the remaining steel and the last bit sheared off. Fix the alignment issue and add a flex coupler and it should never happen again. No need to source a replacement motor from the conveyor vendor. Match the cc, mount and shaft size and any motor will work. $200 +/- depending on the specs. A lot cheaper than replacing the entire conveyor.

I'm surpised the motor wasn't leaking way before it failed. That's a terrible design! Both the way it's mounted way out in the rhubarb and how it's attached to the shaft.

My setup has a plate bolted to the motor and that plate loosely keys into a slot on the conveyor. The motor is floating and that plate keeps it from rotating.

I would just replace the motor, they are around $250-300 new, not even worth buying the parts to fix it.

As far as the conveyor bleeding down, that's normal. Just jam a piece of wood under it or take a piece of pipe/box tubing, cut it open to make a U and slide it over the cylinder rod.

Latest posts

Back