DR RapidFire -Does new model wobble?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The newer model has a trailer hitch and so has an adjustable leg that is mounted to a tube extension for towing. It is about half the size of the original which mounted directly to the I-beam under the splitting wedge. Looks like the new one would flex and wobble. I would appreciate user feedback.

I have towed mine around with my tractor and have had no issues. I have the newer version that you are speaking of.

I have towed mine around with my tractor and have had no issues. I have the newer version that you are speaking of.

The wobbling I meant was when you split larger rounds. Does the table flex or wobble on the support leg?

The wobbling I meant was when you split larger rounds. Does the table flex or wobble on the support leg?

No. I was expecting it to move around. So far it has been quite solid and stable. I have not used it on a solid surface like concrete, that might make a difference. My only complaint, so far, is that I wish the entire unit was about 8 to 10 inches higher. I am 6"3" and I have to bend just enough that my back gets sore. That is no fault of the machine, it's due to several back surgeries. Otherwise I have been very happy with it.

No. I was expecting it to move around. So far it has been quite solid and stable. I have not used it on a solid surface like concrete, that might make a difference. My only complaint, so far, is that I wish the entire unit was about 8 to 10 inches higher. I am 6"3" and I have to bend just enough that my back gets sore. That is no fault of the machine, it's due to several back surgeries. Otherwise I have been very happy with it.

How about finding a set of larger tires?

That's the price ya pay for tow-able. Roll the tires up on a pair of car ramps and put a block under the leg. Have seen this done with low hydro splitters and looks to work great.

That's the price ya pay for tow-able. Roll the tires up on a pair of car ramps and put a block under the leg. Have seen this done with low hydro splitters and looks to work great.

I've already designed a "T" base that should alleviate the issue but I haven't had time to build it. It should also allow me to carry the splitter on the 3 point set-up on the tractor. I do not want to do anything yet that might void a warranty later. I bought the extra long warranty at purchase time. Right now, I can tow it with the tractor or the ATV and it handles it all very well. I like the idea that I can take the splitter right to the tree I am cutting up. Then I haul the split wood in the FEL of the tractor. With my back, that is about all the wood I work I can manage before I need a rest anyhow. See avatar.

Latest posts

Back