Dream about this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My love/hate/obsession over poisonous snakes has nothing to do with media sensationalism. My whole life I've been as much drawn to them as repelled by them.

Man, planting Easter eggs for the kids to go poking around in tiger snake territory. At least most of our poisonous snakes have rattles on their tales so we get warning most of the time. :dizzy:

One of the reasons I love living in the boreal forest is . . .

THERE

ARE

NO

POISONOUS

SNAKES!

I have seen grown men reduced to tears when they have encountered snakes but I have a healthy respect for them & I know that if I leave them alone they wont bother me.

You reminded me of an encounter I had years ago on the Appalacian trail with a rattlesnake. I was stopped by the trail for lunch & I found a nice hollow log to sit on. I was sitting there there listening to what I thought were crickets calling when a hiker came up & suggested I get off the log quickly because the noise I could hear was a rattlesnake inside the log! It turned out to be a female snake with young & she was pretty pissed of about me sitting on her house. Oh well I got some good photos (from a distance) & I got to see a rattlesnake in the wild.

Is Gum a hard or softwood?

Gum is hardwood.
The worst thing about it is that the termites bring up dirt & gravel into the center of it & it plays havoc with your chain & bar. I have had sparks come off my bar when the little pests bring up small grains of granite into the wood I am cutting.

Pockets of gum resin are also a problem because the heat in the saw blade will set the resin & it will jamb up your saw pretty quick.

Gum is hardwood.
The worst thing about it is that the termites bring up dirt & gravel into the center of it & it plays havoc with your chain & bar. I have had sparks come off my bar when the little pests bring up small grains of granite into the wood I am cutting.

Pockets of gum resin are also a problem because the heat in the saw blade will set the resin & it will jamb up your saw pretty quick.

Gum is a hardwood? Didnt know that. Pretty soft here.:givebeer:

StihlyinEly

Every time I've ran across snakes they were only baby ones.....

You know how I could tell?

!
!
!
V

They still had a rattle! :spam:

Problem is that everyone thinks all gum trees are the same. The Eucalyptus species run into hundreds of varieties some not so hard & others tough as nails!

Good to know. Gum aroung here is soft enough to cut with a pocket knife, even when dry.:givebeer:

I love it when people from different countries offer hard-won perspectives. World ain't full of arrogant Americans.

Gum this, snake that.

I say cut this, cut that, drink beer and to he!! with what comes. I AM a bit superstitious. I'm the Irishman who, if he knew where he was going to die, would never go near the place. :D :D

This attached table lists a few of the species of Eucalypt & their suitability for use as firewood. Note that for comparison pine is listed at the bottom. There are many more species than this of course.

Thats a lot of good info. Thanx for the info. Gonna tag and keep that for the guys at the mill. We never heard of any of those. Most are of the eucalyptus family. Intresting. :givebeer::cheers:

This attached table lists a few of the species of Eucalypt & their suitability for use as firewood. Note that for comparison pine is listed at the bottom. There are many more species than this of course.

The Eucalyptus globulus or Blue Gum seems to be the most common species of eucalyptus in California. The following describes the love-hate relationship between California and its eucalyptus trees.

THE EUCALYPTUS OF CALIFORNIA; SEEDS OF GOOD OR SEEDS OF EVIL? by Robert L. Santos. California State University, Stanislaus.
http://wwwlibrary.csustan.edu/bsantos/euctoc.htm

Last edited:
The Eucalyptus globulus or Blue Gum seems to be the most common species of eucalyptus in California. The following describes the love-hate relationship between California and its eucalyptus trees.

THE EUCALYPTUS OF CALIFORNIA; SEEDS OF GOOD OR SEEDS OF EVIL? by Robert L. Santos. California State University, Stanislaus.
http://wwwlibrary.csustan.edu/bsantos/euctoc.htm

Thanks for the link. That is very interesting.

That tree you are refering to is commonly called the Tasmanian Blue gum. It is indigenous to Tasmania which is an island off the mainland but is in fact a state of Australia. (I could crack a Tasmanian joke at this point but I might be in trouble if I do!) It is sometimes grown as plantation timber here on the mainland & can get out of control here too.

It is interesting how different species of plants can become so invasive when introduced to other countries. For example I was helping a friend remove pest Pine & Conifer species from his property recently.

Back