Drill baby Drill!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyrpa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Yep....a noob to the site, but I've been stalking y'all for a while. Just so you know, I'm a performance freak, and most everything I own is modded, including my '68 Ford Kohler flathead lawnmower. My wife is stock (good original model). My saws were purchased new by me, are well-maintained, have excellent compression, and run great. I cut alot of wood for personal and sale firewood and overall trail and road maintenance on my 400-acre farm. The 371 is the best all-around saw I've used or seen, and the 335, for it's intended purpose, is great too - although sometimes a prick to start in the cold.

Yes, yes....I searched and read, read some more, did some thinking, read even more, and arrived at an impasse.:help: Probably because there's too much info on this site!

My 371 is now on my workbench, disassembled with the muffler in a vice, prepared for invasive surgery. I just can't get myself to actually perform the muffler mod after seeing that the muffler is just an empty case. I know the gains on an EPA muffler are significant, but I really haven't been able to find, on this site, any evidence of marked gains from modding a can alone. If, I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll correct me:bowdown: The particular mod I wanted to do is the oval hole through the mount & muffler ala Rspike as shown (wherever it appears in this post), but this was done on a 2005 372. The question is, is is worth it to go further and polish the ports as well as modding the muffler in order to realize actual performance gains, should I drill and grind the muffler and leave it at that, or should I leave well enough alone and just keep working it stock? Same with the 335? I don't want to go further with them, like enlarging the ports and squishing the cylinder. More power is always needed, so that'll be saved for later.

And, :monkey: what the heck is meant by "reefing"? Sounds like a self-defeating maneuver.....

Thanks for your time and expertise.

I would upgrade the stock

wife for a nice dual port up front.. LOL
Oh and welcome to the site.. Hold on to your wallet..

Well....I drilled a 1/2 hole through the mount and muffler, cleaned up the edges, so I wound up with a 9/16 muffler port. I wire brushed and sanded it, and gave it several coats of hi-temp matte black stove spray. It looks good, but sounds even better. Tomorrow I'm gonna put some fresh mix in it, tune it and rip into some sugar maple.

But.....before that I practiced. I doubled the size of the muffler outlet hole of the 335, heated and delicately stretched the hood to increase the overall outlet. Put the screen back in, tuned it up, and got surprised by how much better it cut. I didn't expect that increase in performance - that's why I ported the 371. Thanks alot for all of the ideas and info here on this site!:clap:

Latest posts

Back