# Drive links

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old windor bar that I found a new tip for in 3/8". It is currently a .325. In .325 it takes 56 links. I have laid out a longer 3/8" chain and it appears to take 50 links in 3/8". I can not find a spec sheet on the bar or current bar. I assume that there must be a conversion forumula. When I try to determine a formula based on a 16" bar converting to 3/8, the formula tells me 48 links, but I am sure this is not right. Help me out, thanks,

Jim

This isn't too easy, as it may vary with the width of the bar and with sprocket size also.

56 links in .325 sounds like it is a 13" bar, and those are usually not offered in 3/8".
The best "formula" I can think of, is that there is a 4 dl difference for each inch or bar in 3/8" with 15 to 18" Husky mount bars, which also results in 48 dl for your bar, but it could also be 49, as each nominal inch if bar isn't always the same length.....:bang:

Stihl mount bars are a slightly different story, but my best guess for a 13" bar would be 48 or 49 there as well.....

Remember previous discussions that 3/8" chain is not exactly .375 pitch? Checked an Oregon manual and 56 dr. link .325 chain is 3.03' long. To find 3/8 chain with the same or similar nominal length; 49 dr. links is 2.99' and 50 dr. link chain is listed as 3.06'. And the drive sprocket will also need to be replaced with a 3/8".

That helps and works out like I think it should. I come up with 49.6. I guess I will order a couple of 50 link chains and see how they work.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Once the 3/8 tip is installed wrap a longer 3/8 chain around it and pinch it. It will be evident the DL you need.

Bill

Latest posts

Back