Drop this spar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And before this thread goes totally off the tracks....take note of the title. I was just looking for thoughts concerning laying that log across that walk way. Thats all. The title doesnt say "OMG PLEASE HELP" I already know I can bomb it into the GD ivy, I know about vertical speed lines, And I sure the fck know about rigging down large spars. It is a worth while question to ask considering what a time saver it would be.

I would not attempt it. Walkway looks like flagstone held together with cement. Most likely has a screening or sand base. It won't take much abuse and will more than likely crack the cement. The interlock, if damaged is an easy fix. The flagstone, even if you did fix it, the cement would be a different colour (unless you did the whole walkway) and would always look like a repair. You'd have an unhappy customer.

I usually find that when you try to rush a job (save time) you'll eventually run into trouble.

This should of ended this forum.
I saw the? Then I saw the tree. What's the problem block that s.o.b down.
1 sheet of ply for the siding of the house the 2nd on the sidewalk in case of bouncing. Id man up and drop 2' bombs into that ivy but that's me.
Worst case scenario run a VERTICLE SPEED LINE no bounce.
This is a warning next easy 1 gos straight to the question and answer homeowner forum.:hmm3grin2orange:
+1
VSL is what id do.... ferry 3 or 4 fat cookies.... then when its low enough stack attack it.... i would not risk ####### up that walk...

Hard to really tell from pics but that does look really iffy on that walk. I couldn't say for sure if I would risk the walk by looking at the pics. I can say by looking at the pics I am 100% sure I could piece it out without doing any damage to the structure or walk... When in doubt I piece it out.

I've never tried it but have you considered notching the root flare a bit so you can get a bigger chunk of wood on the spar side of the walkway? Even strap that chunk in place so it can't squirt out when you drop the spar onto it. Just thinking here.

I've done it a few times, never with a piece as big as in the picture, but you'd just need a bigger rope is all. You have to leave a higher stump but that's a good thing in that situation. Make a big wide face cut, I make a face cut then Humboldt it, then tie her down like you were going to catch it up in the tree but no pulleys or gear. You don't want it to leave the stump if you can help it. I also some times just slash cut it so it'l go over slow, but again never on any thing that big.
If I used that technec on that spar I would first skid all that stuff off I could, so it didn't jump off to the side when it hit and to hopefully slow her down some when gravity took over. Not recommending you do that, just saying its an option.

hard to tell from the pics but just a idea anyway you could hang a block in another tree hook the truck up and slowly lower the last chunk down

Another vote here for tires. I like to Throw a couple good size tires down on the area where the wood will fall and then put some thick pieces of plywood on top of the tires. This spreads the impact out over a much larger surface and the tires do a great job of absorbing most of the energy.

I've drop chunks on a couple of old matresses with plywood underneath, seemed to work pretty well.

I am about 90% sure I am gonna rig it all the way down. Or at least most of it, then just piece em off when I am close enough to the ground that I am comfy any free falling. Based on the comments I dont think its worth the risk of dropping it across the walk. It can be done though, thats a fact. But i dont think I wanna try it. I can afford to spend time on this tree so why rush. The HO is very impressed so far so I wanna keep it that way. We also have been working on clearing the hillside that goes down to Lake Erie. Thats been fun.

That's probably the best way. The flagstone looks like a homeowner job and barely holding together as it is, you might ask them if they plan on keeping it. After that tree is gone they might be thinking of replacing it anyways and you wouldn't have to worry so much about it cracking more?

I have done 2 jobs over the years where the HO's have told me to bomb trees out on their driveways. Said they were demoing them and anything I could do to break up the concrete would be a help. Loved those jobs.

I am about 90% sure I am gonna rig it all the way down. Or at least most of it, then just piece em off when I am close enough to the ground that I am comfy any free falling. Based on the comments I dont think its worth the risk of dropping it across the walk. It can be done though, thats a fact. But i dont think I wanna try it. I can afford to spend time on this tree so why rush. The HO is very impressed so far so I wanna keep it that way. We also have been working on clearing the hillside that goes down to Lake Erie. Thats been fun.

Yep.. man suit time baby!! Too bad the lean is towards the house though, that makes it a bit more of a PITA..

What do you think the diameter of that thing is? looks to be pretty big!

Finishing this tree was postponed per the HO request. They asked that we concentrate on finishing clearing the hillside because there neighbors are having a party and they want to get the view of the beach. Clearing that hill has been interesting. Def different. Pays good and the HO is very happy so its a win win. I pulled a line parallel to the hill about 20 feet high and put a pulley on it with a line to throw down the hill. I cut stuff n choked it and then we used my small stumper to pull the stuff up. Worked pretty darn good. That hill is pretty steep and was a fair work out. I had an "SRT" line to use in certain spots. We are going back to finish the Tulip on Wednesday.

And also, kinda funny but the Tulip seemed to shrink alittle when I looked at yesterday. which is rare cuz they tend to grow. Although dropping that spar would still be a nice time saver, I am def not doing it. Gonna rig it

Last edited:
6b09f217-85a6-5e6f.jpg
6b09f217-85d9-744b.jpg
6b09f217-85f8-2fe8.jpg

Finishing this tree was postponed per the HO request. They asked that we concentrate on finishing clearing the hillside because there neighbors are having a party and they want to get the view of the beach. Clearing that hill has been interesting. Def different. Pays good and the HO is very happy so its a win win. I pulled a line parallel to the hill about 20 feet high and put a pulley on it with a line to throw down the hill. I cut stuff n choked it and then we used my small stumper to pull the stuff up. Worked pretty darn good. That hill is pretty steep and was a fair work out. I had an "SRT" line to use in certain spots. We are going back to finish the Tulip on Wednesday.

And also, kinda funny but the Tulip seemed to shrink alittle when I looked at yesterday. which is rare cuz they tend to grow. Although dropping that spar would still be a nice time saver, I am def not doing it. Gonna rig it

Please keep us informed!!

:jawdrop: what in the wide world of tree work it that? A planned cut by a pro or a homeowner backcut barber bomb. Either or :dizzy:

Last edited:
Other than a pile of stump chips that we will deal with tomorrow, this job is done. It was very uneventful. I roped out three pieces and by that time the area between the house and the walk looked pretty huge. I just chunked em out in about 20 inch cuts. I put some wood along the plywood by the house and they did there Job. A couple unruly ones tried to ram the house and a few bounced and flipped like a huge coin but went parallel with the house so it was cool. Basically it went well. As nice as dropping that log woulda been, I am glad I didn't risk it. View attachment 242538View attachment 242539View attachment 242540

I can't believe you used plywood. Do realize what will happen if this poor guy hit the the place, in the real world, what would happen?

Do you understand what happens if I fck up the siding or the walk way? I doubt it. It looks a little different in real life btw. There are roots in that ivy to think about also. If a chunk bounces into the plywood leaning against the house it would likely still do alittle damage. I consider scuffs,dings,and small dents as damage. I guess I just think like an owner, ya know....the guy who is ultimately responsible for everything.

In all honesty the tree was bigger in tne last set of pics. then it looked in the 1st set. Actually the last set looked like if the gm had a rope he could have pulled the chunks over the walk onto the grass. Well a padded grass area. Anyhew glad it worked out.

Back