Drum Chipper making ugly Chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corby

Reaction score
I have a 16" Wayne Drum Chipper That seems no matter what I do to it, it makes lousy chips. It has a foward and back adjustment as well as up and down for the anvil. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference where it's at though. The anvil was replaced and it's just normal grade steel. Does anyone know if it should be hardened or not? Any help would be great.

The anvil is relatively soft to prevent cracking.

Set the knives .25" from the drum surface, and then set the anvil to .010=.015" knife gap.

Corby? Are you chipping small brush or 6-8" limbs? I get good quality chips from larger branches.Real small Brush will still be stringy.

Thanks Netree, I spent about 6 hours on it this morning playing with the bed moving it back and forth. With a ton of guess and test it's making really nice chips now. The blades were out about an 1 1/2", once I moved them in I noticed a huge difference. It also doesn't feed as near as aggresivly. It can't take a 12" piece of wood now but it's a lot safer. Thanks for some help.

Latest posts

Back