drum chipper weight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

topnotchtree

I need to repair the bent axle and fix a broken spring on my chipper. It is a very old asplundh,9 inch drum chipper with a 4 cylinder ford motor. Do you think I can get by with a 3500 pound rated axle and spring set up?

most definitely.

My Altec drum has a 6 cyl motor, a 12" drum, and fully fueled & tooled scales well under 2000 lbs.

Thanks Eric, our chippers at work are 12 inch drum chippers with 4 cylinder motors and I thought I seen 4400 lbs on the tag of the frame. Maybe I was lookin at the gvwr?

I would have to guess at that and say "maybe". I just know mine is bigger than yours (engine and drum size), and scales at 1865 lbs fueled with all the equipment I usually keep in the tongue box, according to the friendly state troopers at the weigh station.

FYI, Asplundh & Altec are one and the same, for most purposes. If you contact Altec, they can tell you what THEY have listed.

I know asplundh sold their stuff to Altec, but they will have no record of the chipper I have. Mine is an antique!

Just curious Eric, does your state require a plate on your chipper. Here in Mi we do not need to plate "implements" but I was told the minute you put anything on your chipper, like a toolbox, or a rake, it turns into a trailer and needs a plate. Just wondering if that was the case, did D.O.T. guy gave you any guff over that?

I've heard of that about some other states, but in Mass. if it has tires it's a trailer, so yes, it needs its own plate & running lights. However, it doesn't need its own insurance, just a rider on your vehicle policy.

Back