Drying milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reilly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I milled a bunch this last weekend, and I have them stacked up and I am wondering if I should cover them or leave them open to the elements? Obviously when it's warm and sunny out I will have them exposed, but like right now it's raining real good. Should I cover them?

Did you stack them to look just like the log that you milled? Did you use stickers between slabs and paint the end grain? My buddy uses that metal roofing to cover his and straps the ends. I just mill them, sticker and stack the slabs back to the original shape of the log and put some weight on top. Direct sunlight is not ideal, but open breezy place.

Did you stack them to look just like the log that you milled? Did you use stickers between slabs and paint the end grain? My buddy uses that metal roofing to cover his and straps the ends. I just mill them, sticker and stack the slabs back to the original shape of the log and put some weight on top. Direct sunlight is not ideal, but open breezy place.

I did re-stack the logs, minus the cants.

Attachments

• 267080-9393d57399f6dea95da324a7e5221d49.jpg
    267080-9393d57399f6dea95da324a7e5221d49.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 43
Heat and direct sunlight can cause them to dry on the ends too fast and split. I'd try to cover them with something a foot or 2 over the pile, just enough to make some shade, Joe.

Good to know thanks! I think I'm going to move them into my lean too that has real good air flow.

That's why logs are normally cut to a 4 or 6 oversize. Ie 8ft 4in. Allows for trimming any split ends after drying.

Latest posts

Back