Drying split firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widmere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I must congratulate you on a fantastic website - My firewood business is in the UK where our split logs are a lot shorter than your (about 10 inches). At present I intend to put my firewood through a processor and leave in a pile under cover until next Autumn. The wood on the outside of the pile dries really quickly while the wood at the centre appears to be growing a slight mould. in time over the Summer will these buried bits of wood dry out or do I have something to worry about.

All the best from the first day of Spring in South Bucks

Anyone that I have seen pile in mounds leaves it uncovered, the outside stuff will dry and the ventilation will wick through the mound like a chimney effect and dry the inside pieces. Covering will trap the moisture and you'll have a nasty mess. Pile it out in full sun and good cross-winds.

Welcome Widmere!

Ya gotta remember, Husky, he's in the UK...Land of rain and fog. (And Land Rovers!!!) Uncovered wood will remain wet from rain pretty much year-round.

My advice would be to get it under a shed roof where the rain can't get to it but air will be able to circulate.

Jim (Driver of a '74 Series III 88" with a Benz diesel)

I would figure that the "rain" factor can't be much worse than the high humidity we have all summer long? In any event a shed would be ideal, but maybe not from a labor or cost standpoint.

I must congratulate you on a fantastic website - My firewood business is in the UK where our split logs are a lot shorter than your (about 10 inches). At present I intend to put my firewood through a processor and leave in a pile under cover until next Autumn. The wood on the outside of the pile dries really quickly while the wood at the centre appears to be growing a slight mould. in time over the Summer will these buried bits of wood dry out or do I have something to worry about.

All the best from the first day of Spring in South Bucks

If covering is used - put it on top only. If you are just making piles, try to keep them as high and 'thin' as you can. Low, fat piles will not dry on the interior very well.

Harry K

Thanks for the tips team - under cover does mean under an open sided 'Dutch Barn' - Yes it does seem to rain a lot here in the land of fog and 'Land Rovers' but having a lower carbon footprint is becoming an issue.

Keep cutting

W

i have same questions. my theory was i was going to set all the wood on pallets to get air flow under it.

then put a clear plastic "visqueen" over it. cut a hole in the top center to get a minimal draft.
theory was to leave the bottom 2 feet of the sides uncovered.

goal is to allow air flow around the bottom, and out the top, but get rain to shed off it.

sunshine the clear visqueen causes greenhouse effect to warm the wood to reduce moisture.

thoughts?????

Green house Kiln

I posted the same Question,.. Wondering If It was good or bad to store wood under a green house roof with both ends open,. Is the green house heat good,? or bad? I assume that it will get pretty hot , will it rot quick also,?... Thanks Eric

lumber kiln?..

Is it the same as drying lumber,?..as lumber kilns are tight and stufy,?. or not.... cant remember how much ventilation is used, even though I helped turn the stacks of wood in one,.20 years ago,..Thanks Eric

well they just passed this new law about transporting non kiln dried wood to michigan so I rigged up 4 old clothes dryers that I found along the curb and voilia now I have 4 wood drying kilns..... might work for you cause it sure dosent work for me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great thinking! You just didn't take it far enough. You need to find a free source of hot air. Hmmm...maybe down around DC?

Harry K

well they just passed this new law about transporting non kiln dried wood to michigan so I rigged up 4 old clothes dryers that I found along the curb and voilia now I have 4 wood drying kilns..... might work for you cause it sure dosent work for me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL, Knowing how loud just a pair of bib overalls with metal hardware can be in the dryer I would like to hear the racket a couple sticks of firewood would make! :greenchainsaw:

Is it the same as drying lumber,?..as lumber kilns are tight and stufy,?. or not.... cant remember how much ventilation is used, even though I helped turn the stacks of wood in one,.20 years ago,..Thanks Eric

Kilns have LOTS of ventilation to help control temps and to disperse the moisture coming out of the wood.

kiln

Thanks Husky, Of corse, you need lots of ventilation,..That make sence..If I cover the wood , nothing down the sides for good air movement, wood clear plactic be the best ? black plastic? or neither?, Iam wondering if you should try using sun rays to speed up the drying process?,,Thanks Eric

Thanks Husky, Of corse, you need lots of ventilation,..That make sence..If I cover the wood , nothing down the sides for good air movement, wood clear plactic be the best ? black plastic? or neither?, Iam wondering if you should try using sun rays to speed up the drying process?,,Thanks Eric

The air moving through the wood is the major drying factor. The cover on top is there only to keep moisture (rain) from wetting the wood. It doesn't matter what the cover is made of as long as it goes on top only.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back